Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a STRAIGHT 6 in your HotRod? Come On, stand up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 25, 2004.

1. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks. Looks really good. Interesting stuff. Seem like Clifford are the men to speak to about my 292!

Mark.

2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Woody. Only intake I want is one I made anyhow, but have stuck to the iron ones so far. Cut/machine/braze. I was planning on using the one I have now on Nash hot rod, but whilst building a new motor, I'm going to diversify. All these years I've made excuses to not buy myself a tig. Your intake work has enspired me to re-think that. It's at the top of my "get one" list. :D

3. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

plym 46 thanks , from the chart as of the B.H.R of the 292 im in the right ball park , my 292 is stock and no way is it up to 300 BHP also from the stock carb that came with the motor it was only one 2 inch carter so running 3- 1 3/4 su should be enough. where did u get this chart from?

4. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

29 nash ,a tig was one of the best investment i have ever made ,i love it so much i dont think i'de go back to a mig

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

6. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

7. inlinr6

inlinr6

My chopped 48 ford project has a 250 chevy 6 dual quads big cam 5 speed trans.starting a modelA project with a 181 mercruiser ,cam,single downdraft weber with a powerglide.ANYONE CAN MAKE POWER WITH A V8,REAL RODDERS DO IT THE HARD WAY.

8. mine runs a ford 300 cid truck engine. just got the thing together, can't wait to
    hop it up.

Attached Files:

9. I'm running this little 170 in my comet wagon. It's the original block, and I figured I would let it finish its' life out in the car. Bored .060 over it has a 1969 200ci head on it with a center exhaust port divider, I had Isky cams match a popular hydraulic grind for my earlier solid lifter set up. The log manifold on this head is horrible and the autolite 1100 is even worse. I have a few ideas to address these, but for now this cream puff is probably putting out 110 to 120 HP if I am lucky. I have a C4 automatic behind it as I replaced the suck-O-matic. What can I say it's a cruiser and fun to tinker on.

Attached Files:

10. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

11. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

12. the lights

the lights

13. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I have a 302 GMC 6cyl with a 6-71 blower and dual carbs on it. It's in my '40 chev p/u hooked to the original 4 speed tranny and rear end. I'm not sure my truck is a hot rod, but she goes pretty darn well. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

14. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Damn That looks Sweeet. Got any pics of Intke manifold.

15. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Not really any of just the manifold. This is the best one that I have:

[​IMG]

With the fenders and front end back on the truck you can only just barely see the intake manifold and the cast headers are all but invisible....lol.

When I was putting the thing together, I kept forgetting to bring my camera into the shop. Now I wish I had taken more pictures as I have had more than one request for pics of the intake manifold. Sorry about that.

16. Little Terry

Little Terry

That's really nice. Good skills!

17. 6narow

6narow

That must be one wicked cam you have in there, because the overbore only brings displacement up to 176 cubes and your (roughly) 65 HP engine would then make about 67 HP, based on the increase in displacement alone.
    Nice idea, trading the "suck-o-matic" (LOL!) for a C4. That would help the car launch a little better, without adding hardly any weight.
    AFAIK, the internal dimensions of the intake on the 200 are no different than with the 170.
    It was the 250 that had the internally larger intake manifold.
    ...in fact, an entire 250 engine should be a drop-in fit to your wagon, so when the 170 finally dies....also, a carb off a 300 is a little larger than those seen on the 170-250 family of sixes, and I understand they can fit with only a little bit of modification.

6narow

18. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

The engine in the pic sure doesn't look like any STRAIGHT 6 I ever saw. Looks more like a SBF.

19. Twisted6

Twisted6

That set-up is Just a awsome Job.I to would like to know more about the intake (thickness and what not.)

20. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Which intake are you referring to?(before I go into an explanation that no one really wants to hear...lol.)

21. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

My bel-air had a 235 with a PG. Ran nice. My fairlane has a 200 outta 67 mustang with a spd tranny. I like it runs good and smooth. PROUD!

22. Twisted6

Twisted6

That nice looking (what looks to be ) 671 blower If you have build others i wouldn't mind seeing them either :)

23. edweird

edweird

my dad does. and he set a record with it last sept. at maxton XO/PRO.

Attached Files:

24. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I just picked up a freebie 1969 250 cid Chevy inline 6. These things any good? Planning to drop it into a 47 bobber Ford truck. Don't hate me. :)

25. nexxussian

nexxussian

I dunno, there's guys in Brazil getting over 1000 HP out of them with boost (and LOTS of work).

Should be a fine engine, screw an overdrive box of some sort behind it and it should cruise on the freeway forever (and the lower first gear helps).

There's a book out there by Leo Santucci (sp?) that is pretty much the perf bible for those, if you intend on any engine work other than a stock overhaul I would reccomend it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  26. Still runnin the stock flathead 6 in mine. I've got an Offy dual carb manifold & carbs I need to rebuild, need a split exhaust manifold & fab the exhaust, add a cam.....seems to be fairly common for these motors, but should help quite a bit.

27. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Well I wish I could take the credit for the fabrication of the manifold, but unfortunately I don't possess the welding skills required for aluminum. So I went to a local machine shop and told the guy what I wanted. He said no problem and I'll mount your drive and crank pulley too.

The manifold originally started as a cast piece set up to mount a 4-71 blower vertically. I got the last one from the old stovebolt company. The guy didn't think he had any left but when he looked he found one covered in dust at the back of a shelf. I really lucked out cause he sold it to me for about $75!!! But I thought the 4-71 would look funny on a motor with this length. I also wanted it to be mounted horizontally. So I had the machinist build a plenum out of 1/2" or so aluminum and weld it too the original cast manifold. Then he built the mounting plate for the blower on top of the plenum. He also designed a pop-off plate that is spring loaded in case the engine backfires through the carbs. The setup works quite well

28. Twisted6

Twisted6

That is still one Sweet set-up. Still if you have or get/take any other photos I wouldn't mind seeing them.

29. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I have over ten years and 10,000 miles on my 292, 3-duece Chevy. Love the power and torque!

RapRap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. 6narow

6narow

Holy crap, you're right!
    I never opened the attachment, just went off the "litle picture".
    ...why that little...I oughtta.....:mad: ( :p )
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

raprap,

Sweet ride!
    Work to be very proud of.
    Can you please give us a rundown on what our eyes are feasting on?

6narow