Register now to get rid of these ads!

Right side drive steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NiceFloor, Feb 8, 2010.

1. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

Trying to mount my steering on the right side of a speedster/indy build. need something small (vega size or smaller) but right side drive. Any ideas? Are vegas swapable?

2. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

you could do cowl steering if you've got the space under the dash. It would clear up a lot of room in the engine bay if thats what your worried about.

3. highboy_04

highboy_04
    from Kansas

cross steer or tiller steer? 49-52 chevy boxes work great for tiller right hand drive

4. Karl Fields

Karl Fields

Or take the traditional non-hamb approach and put in a center steer GM rack and reverse mount it. Yes, it really does work!

5. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

78 toyota truck steering box mounts on the outside of the drivers side. thus would mount to inside of passenger side.

6. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

As we in Australia chose to drive on the wrong side of the road (RHD) you could purchase all the RHD equipment from Australia, the stuff is readily available from rod tech http://www.rodtech.com.au/ Rod is a very good manufacturer of components & imports from the States so Exporting back should not be a problem..........

7. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

the best box I've found for cowl steering is the 68-79 ford truck manual steering box. It has a large mounting area and its easy to reverse (not that you would want to for RHD). The long sector shaft on these boxes also allows you to put the steering wheel in the stock location on Model A's, 32's, ect. with out having to make an extension. If memory serves me from the center of the column to the base of the sector shaft mounting section is 12".

8. 35desoto

35desoto

Nissan Navara utes have the same steering box regardless of which side they mount it on. It fits inside the chassis on L/H/D and on the out side for a R/H/D. Factory used one mould to cast their steering box's and adapted the chassis to accomodate the difference.
    Used one of these on my 35 Desoto R/H/D and it worked like a dream

9. doctorZ

doctorZ

i'd trust any of the aussie's advice on this one!

10. 35desoto

35desoto

I also meant to say that the diameter on the shaft of the steering box was 1' and had the same spline as any of the normal USA made box's - All I had to do was file a little to remove a locator lug and my 35 Desoto arm bolted straight on. ezy peessy!!!

11. If I'm not mistaken look for one out of a USPS mail truck RHDrive and small. I just got the column & wheel from one & left the box there. Guess I'll have to go back & look.

Movin/on

12. Built the hemi jeep with right side steering box (but centre steer although it could have been anywhere. )
    I mountedthe box vertical with an extended shaft straight down. I was able to bring the steeering arm out just below the frame rail. Advantage? No holes in the body cowl or firewall. Much neater install and very easy to do. I postedphotos on the HEMI jeep build thread I had herethroughout the whole project. It works very well , In fact i will do it again. With the box mounted this way there is ittle interference withanything and since the box is above foot level you can use whatever you can buy right and are heppy with. I used 58 Pontiac NOS box I bought for $45 from a local yard. As to where your steering wheel is I put the ujoint in the steering wheel shaft right in front of where I wanted the wheel to be, one ujoint and I was done. I thnk I called the thread HEMI JEEP ALtered. It was easy and worked perfectly and yes steered from the right hand side of the car.
    Don

13. ^^ Yep, postal jeep.

14. lakester47

lakester47

Here's how I did mine. It's an early Schroeder 9:1 box fitted with a "doubler" to make it 18:1. It's right side steer.

[​IMG]

15. pecker head

pecker head

Some International Scouts had right hand drive .

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Call CrescentU pull it . in Morrisville Pa.
    2 weeks ago there was a mail Jeep in there Rh drive Its probably still there ,I don't know if they will pull it for u .Its about the size of a chevelle manual box,I do believe its not as long .

17. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

Thanks guys.

The schroeder box was my original plan but they have an 8" minimum tube length on the pitman arm side (I would need 1") and the center section is way to big for my application. The front end of this car is very narrow. The postal box sounds promising as does taking a trip to Australia to look for parts ;-)

18. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

In the 70's I worked on a d type jag for someone that was looking to make a kit car and I am pretty sure I inverted a 60's gm saginaw style box just like we used to do with the corvairs he wanted right hand drive as well but I am pretty sure the postal jeeps will work as well but it's been a real long time

19. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

thanks - I will do that - might get lucky.

20. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

Thanks - checking them out now....

21. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

You can use a stock corvair box not reversed.

22. This is a shot of the Corvair box in my Topolino.

[​IMG]

23. Here it is from the right side You can clearly see the steering arm just under the frame rail and the rod going up to the dropped axle out front. Enlage for a better look if you like
    Don

Attached Files:

24. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

how did you go, any luck?

25. Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  26. I'd trust a Kiwi first, they're all decendants of convicts over there in Aussie :D:D

Something like the HQ-HZ holden (1971-78ish) box would be OK, cheap and plentifull down under, Von Mopar or one of the other hambers downunder could proably find you one. I paid about $20 US for a used one, full rebuild kits are still available.

This is one i reversed

[​IMG]

Another popular box is the HK-HG Holden (1968-71) for cowl steer applications,

[​IMG]

Striper did a good bit of tech here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64204
    on reversing them

27. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Series 2 or 3 Landrover is a popular choice over here in the U.K.
    Not used it myself but I'll try and dig up some info later.
    Mark.
    P.S. Wouldn't trust the 'Kiwi's' either,bunch of sheep shaggers!LOL:D

Did a quick search and found a couple of Brits(monkeybiker,Taildraggin,60'shotrod) who have used the Landrover box.Maybe worth a PM to them.I believe that to use this box for right hand drive,you need the left hand drive box,which may be easier for you to find.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  28. Hi, dragging this thread back from the dead, I want to know if this "doubler" is custom fitted or a Schroeder made part, or otherwise has anyone got any information on this?

29. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

lhd vegas can be swapped over to rhd.mirrior the bracket to go on the other side.spacers need extending so it can be mounted for rhd.quite a few have done it.