Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever cruise Main St in Longmont Colorado when they were younger?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Feb 5, 2010.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

It died the late 80's. It started not be fun anymore. Gangs, fighting and the cops cracking down on drinking and driving.

My buddies and I met plenty of chicks cruising Main.

2. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

Count me in, early to mid 80's.
    I had a Candy red Willys wagon with purple scallops. Friday nights it was the place to be and Saturaday was dead.
    Who can forget those days, Wednesday night drown night at the 3.2 bar. $5 cover all you can drink!

If you wanted to race, there was a qtr mile marked out at Quail rd. or go north of town to Dog pound rd.
    Always a good crowd at the Dairy Qween, or Cheaper Charlies, or north to TG&Y parking lot.
    Wow, this thread brought back some memories....................:cool:

3. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Dog pound!!

That was the place to race! I think I cheated death a couple times on that 1/4 mile. :D

4. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Early 80's like 83 & 84. The Vega got rear ended in 84 and it crumpled like a pop can. Pulled the 327 out of it and put in my (at the time) primered 55 that was begging to be on the road.

5. ripsrides

ripsrides

Dam that brings back alot of memories I cruised west Colfax alot we would hang out in Super Shops parking lot across from Casa Bonita early 80's me and buddies in three 57 chevys red one yellow and green one . I spent alot of weekends at westminster mall cruised up north cant remember if it was longmont or loveland but cruised main street my sister had 80 model turbo trans am we raced firebird formula redlight to redlight. i have got to go back out there soon.

6. radical56chevy

radical56chevy

used to cruise main in longmont in 86-90...was ok..but alot cops..
    used cruise in a primared lowered 70 chevy pick up..

7. radical56chevy

radical56chevy

me race never...lol
    used to love smokin camaro's back in the day

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. Yep, twenty five years ago when I worked at Judson Flying Service. Cruised in Cliff's red pickup truck.:D

9. dragonsnake

dragonsnake

38flattie, the nite lite was in east loveland. the building is still there,but it's called wes tec press now. 1853 cheyenne ave is the address. i remember the bar, but i was a little too young to go.my uncle and his buddies were there alot though. duane

10. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Now it makes sense

11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I remember them- even flew there. Ellsworth had the Grumman's, and Judson had the Cessna's.

Oops! See what booze and getting older will do to you?!

12. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I went sky diving 3 times when I lived there.

13. metalman

metalman

I use to cruise Main street in Longmont once a year back in the late 70's. A bunch of us from Albuquerque would run up for the ColoRodan Rod Run, Friday night before the run we would all be out on Main. Good times

14. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

A couple more years and I might have ran into you :cool:

15. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

16. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

Longmont was a sleepy little town like Loveland. I crused in Greeley and Ft. Collins. I guess that was back in the late 60's early 70's. I remember the Library and Bruens Layer were 3/2 joints in Greeley. Good places to dance with college girls. Some really fast cars were a 57 vet and a Amc with names like "the runt" and "little black". I drove a red 57 back then. Not fast but a beautiful car with a big back seat. 3/2 beer went through you like a river!

17. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I never made it up to Ft. Collins for cuising.

18. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

Anyone remember a car club in Denver called the NiftyFifties?
    DP

19. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Dean Melbey still owns the 57 Vette called Little Black.

20. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

I moved out here in 87 from the west coast. Lived in Arvada at that time.
    I made it to Longmont only a couple of time's.... The place to cruise back then was Lafayette.

Roach

21. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I wonder if the kids nowadays cruise main there.

22. Dad was just down in Longmont tonight at 8:30
    He said he was the only one out, so apparently not.

Sent from my iPod touch using TJJ

23. 2ton

2ton
    from Colorado

Old thread, I know. Cruised Longmont occasionally, W. Colfax more often. Had a not HAMB friendly 70 Mustang.

No cruisin' on either one anymore, but Golden does have a decent cruise on the first Sat. of each summer month. If you go to that one, be cool, the city is considering shutting it down after a couple of incidents there last summer. Friend of mine who owns a restaurant in Golden says the topic comes up at the city council meetings regularly.

24. Lafnbowtie

Lafnbowtie
    from N.Colorado

Used to cruise there and other places in the late '80s. I had a green AMC Gremlin with a BBC in it. Things died some from early '90s and picked up again right at the 2000 year, then the no cruising signs cameout in force. Good times. Just went the past weekend to the Coloradans cruise on Sat night, wow, it was packed like it was 20 some years ago, what a blast!

25. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

I grew up in Loveland, and I cruised Longmont and Fort Collins on a regular basis from 1982 to 1986 or so in my 1971 Mach1 and my 1972 Gremlin. (I wish I had both those cars back now.) It was fun, but we did cause alot of trouble. Can't really say I blame the cities for shutting down the cruising. For us, it was less about the cars and more about raising hell.

26. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

I lived in Estes Park and cruised Longmont on occasion. Usually with my brother in his 79' Z-28. Later on I had my powder blue metalic 68' LeMans convert. or my buddy's white 64' Impala SS. On rare occasions I got to take my dad's 70' black Monte Carlo SS 454. Never got to take the 50' Crestliner though... Would have been 86'-88'. They pretty much had it scaled way back by then, but it was still fun. Been trying to get something going up here in Laramie, but it's not the same any more.

27. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I turned into a man on Main in Longmont. :D

28. Hot-Rod-Howard

Hot-Rod-Howard

I just did the Longmont cruise night this last Sat. night. Cruising main was banned a long time ago, but last year the city gave the ColoRODan's car club a permit to cruise for one night only since it was their 40th anniversary. It brought in so much revenue for the city that they started to make it a staple every year. This was was the second time they did it. By far the best event of the weekend.

http://www.colorodans.org/?page_id=1203

http://www.freerangelongmont.com/2011/07/31/longmont-cruise-night/

29. Hot-Rod-Howard

Hot-Rod-Howard

30. mtlee442

mtlee442
    from Longmont

Interesting thread. I'm a lot younger from Longmont, 24 years old. My friend Jim and I used to cruise main street in a 75 formula 350 firebird, this was back in 2001-2004. At that time cruising was technically illegal, but not really enforced unless you were being a knucklehead. I came back from my enlistment in the Navy to find "No cruising" signs all over the strip. My friends tell me there is a zero tolerance now, really sad considering all the great memories I have from cruising. All these kids now will never get the chance.

We ought to go to the city council.

Edit: In response to a previous post, I've been living here about 13 years. No gangs in Longmont that I've ever seen.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011