Register now to get rid of these ads!

Haircut 54 hardtop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flattrap, Feb 7, 2010.

1. flattrap

flattrap

After Christmas I started the chop on my 54. The plan 1.5 inches, sedan roof,hardtop catwalk, sedan decklid, roof about 9.5 in. longer, hardtop A pillar & vent window. So here are some progress pics. After removing the roof, package tray an trunk jam it was time for some wheel wells. (large C notch). Then starting by positioning the hardtop jam an hinge then adding the sedan corners. Then set the roof on an 2 in. out of the back, lay the rear window forward a little, tack into place. So far so good.

Attached Files:

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

jesus! interesting!!! it looks great. keep the photos coming. can't wait to see it in person.

3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

4. Skrayp

Skrayp

This is interesting. I've been pondering how I could turn my Bel Air post into a hardtop. Do you plan on using sedan stainless under the drip rail? I'm interested to see how you integrate the hardtop glass in the doors to the sedan roof. Please share! I'm subscribing.....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010

5. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Interesting indeed.

6. flattrap

flattrap

Yes I plan on keeping the stainless under the drip rail. The door glass will be cut to match the roof line and close against a rubber seal, havent got it all worked out quite yet.

7. Wow, that is one of the nicest '54's ever. Can't wait to see it when it is fineshed. What kind of tail lights are those?

8. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

whant see it finsh keep on nice start

9. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

You're a madman!!!!!! That's the shit!

10. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

NICE looking car!. . . .are the taillights 60 chrysler?. . . .

11. nice work, I want a '54 soooo bad!

12. hvychvy

hvychvy

Thats gonna be cool.It would have been hard for me to turn a hardtop to a sedan,and back to a hardtop though:rolleyes:

13. Well done Young Man. I see my Old Friend putting the Eagle Eye on ya making sure you were paying attention while you were growing up. I like what I see. I'm sure he does too.
    The Wizzard

14. madwagon56

madwagon56

looks great, didnt your dad do one like yours sedan into a hardtop? who ownes it now.

15. Yes he did. Perl White with an Out-of-Control Flame job. I loved that car. There was a photo of it in a Mag not to many months back but don't remember the owners name. They never Die, they just go into hiding for a while.
    The Wizzard

16. inliner54

inliner54

17. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

wow, hardtops are better than sedans. heck i would have traded my sedan for your hard top. it would have saved you plenty of time. i'm planning on chopping my 54 and putting a hardtop deck lid and shorting the catwalk so it doesn't look so stretched. complete opposite.

18. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

looks like two 56 parkard lenses put together...nice!!

19. belair

belair

Cool-it's hard not to make a '54 wind up looking like Moonglow, but you have done it, and I mean that as a compliment.

20. inliner54

inliner54

he isnt making a hardtop a sedan! he is chopping a 54 the right way. its still a hardtop. I guess you guys need to look closer. there is something called proportions.

21. AntiBling

AntiBling

I love your car. Can't wait to see it finished.

22. billys54

billys54

Sick lookin car. I love it.

23. roddinron

roddinron

Wow, personally, I always thought the Moonglow was a pretty damned nice 54 Chevy.
    Again, I always felt that the Moonglow was chopped "the right way" I really didn't see anything wrong with the Moonglows "proportions".
    I really can't tell enough by these pictures to actually jump on board and compliment you on the car yet, but you certainly do nice work. Can't wait to see more.

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the thing that kills 90% of "hardtopped" sedans for me is the fit and seal of the side glass. now youve taken a hardtop and made it look like a hardtopped sedan.

not sure I see the point.

you'll be able to put some big ass speakers in the package tray that's for sure.

25. flattrap

flattrap

After a couple more weeks work the vision is right on point I belive. Pulled the car out for the first time today and it works!!

Attached Files:

26. Domino

Domino

Good job! You definitely changed the look of that car. What will be the final color?

27. Well done young Man, well done.
    The Wizzard

28. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Cool stuff man!!! Looking great !!

29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

looking good. will it get skirts in the end?

30. hvychvy

hvychvy

Looks great!!