Register now to get rid of these ads!

NEED to get started!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CrusadersNV, Feb 6, 2010.

1. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

hey guys. im wondering how to start off on my 53 chev. just wondering how some of you guys start your projects? ive begun projects by getting it running then do everything else or the other way around. lets just say i need motivation if im ever gonna get this thing on the road by summer.:D so let the ideas fly!

Attached Files:

2. get it running film it driving around the property, post the film then get out your wallet!

3. oldchevy

oldchevy

If you can make it run and drive i would start there, But I'm one of those guys that will drive ugly.

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Pull it out into the driveway or into a tidy garage with room to work and get it running.

5. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

yup get it runing

then go catch it lol

then give it a hair cut

chop chop

6. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

First ye must exorcise the evil spirits manifested in thou's cowl by means of ritualistic nude dances and consumption of alcohol to ensure a safe build free of injuries and mistakes.
    After that get the correct wheels/tires and set up the suspension :D

7. troylee

troylee

Make a build plan. See what money you can put in it over how much time. I seem to always be over budget. Try to do something on your list every week. Progress is always a motovator. good luck

8. chevyshack

chevyshack

Wheels and tires! They change the look of any car for the good or bad. Might get you motivated.

9. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

i do this all the time on all the cars ive had. the neighbors probly think im nuts:D

10. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

looks like ill get the thing runnin. probly gonna need a power plant first. im thinkin another straight 6. ive got a 250 in my 50fleet. best motor ive ever run in a car, shes bullet proof.

11. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

Be patient, know what direction you want to go in so you don't have a "do over"

12. Completely go over the vehicle-understand its present condition. Then determine what you want the end product to be. Create a list of things that will be required to get it into that condition. Start searching for needed parts/services. Create budget/time line. Remember one step at a time, it is supposed to be fun.

13. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

If you you spend a lot of time figuring how much its going to cost, You will be overwhelmed ! get er running, new brakes, good tires and drive while working out the bugs.

Attached Files:

14. I agree. Motivation can be a fragile thing. It needs to be fed and properly cared for to avoid despair and a pile of rusty parts.

15. nutajunka

nutajunka

I agree, starting the project in one direction and then going in another will only cost time and money. Main thing is just put your old clothes on and jump in.

16. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

well, i always let the girlfriend do the dancing, and i drink the alcohol :D

17. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

thanks for the tips guys. guess its time to get greasy!

18. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

get after it and do not stop! It wont turn out how you plan it anyway. They always seem to keep changing as we work on them. What the hell were just slaves to the steel anyway.
    its kinda like eating an Elephant..... The longer you think about it the more you'll cinvince yourself its impossible. just dig in, dont stop, and one day you look at it and say WOW. I did it

19. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

thats a great way to put it man! thanks:cool: