Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spindle Mount Disc Brake Rotors, How much run-out is too much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WILLYSDOCTOR, Jan 13, 2010.

1. WILLYSDOCTOR

WILLYSDOCTOR

Just purchased a set of Spindle Mount Disc Brakes for my Radir 12 Spoke Wheels. Once mounted, I noticed a significant "Wave" in the brake rotors when the wheel is spinning. I dismounted the rotors , checked for Burs & High spots , Flipped the Rotors (other side facing the wheel ) and even swapped the rotors onto the opposite side rim .... Both rotors Still had a wave no matter how and which wheel they were mounted on.

So out came the Magnetic Base and Starrett Dial Indicator. With the Wheels bearings under slight preload ..... One Rotor had .026" runout and other had .034" when measured at the center of the Brake Pad clamping surface. Rotor thickness measured uniform around outer edge and variance when swapping rotors to another wheel was less than .002"

So my Question is : How Much is too much runout ?

Vehicle is still in mockup stage so I cannot road test. Should I complain to the Vendor? ( non Alliance vendor )

Attached Files:

2. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

YES COMPLAIN. I do not know what the manufatureres claim is acceptable, but anything over .010-.012" can be felt when the brakes are applied.

3. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

If that is the truck with the blown hemi which you will placing the rotors on, you may want to talk to Radir about the non-vented rotors for the vehicle weight, etc. The particular set you posted was used mainly on t-buckets.....

If you can see the runout, it is too much... The first / hard brake application, you will be throwing the rotors out.... Radir is a good compny, they'll take care of you...

4. Ramblur

Ramblur

I'd sure be on the horn asking WTF. My understanding is that rotor runout
    is more critical in fixed caliper setups as opposed to floating calipers. The
    last thing you need is a brake induced death wobble. Hope you let us know
    how this turns out.

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

6. WILLYSDOCTOR

WILLYSDOCTOR

Well , I have contacted the vendor. Vendor said he would check his other stock of rotors. A few days later I received an email indicating he is sending new rotors. No explanation ... just that 2 new rotors are on the way.
    Of course , I will check new ones when I receive them. If they read tru... or alot closer the vendor still gets my thumbs up. Shipment time, packaging and communication were all good. I'll post my result and the vendor name soon .

7. How does the rotor attach to the wheel ?

Figure out if the mating surface was machined incorrectly, or if the rotors are warped.

8. jick

jick
    from london

hmmm...i have the same radir spindle mounts going on my gasser....haven't checked the run-out yet.....are your rotors the plain steel ones or the the stainless drilled ones just out of interest?

cheers...jick

9. Hmmmmmmmmm ...very interesting indeed. I'm planning to use their spindle mount wheels with brakes on my 34 coupe project. .......IF they stand behind their product.

10. WILLYSDOCTOR

WILLYSDOCTOR

Rotors Mount with ( 4 ) 5/16" Fine Thread Button Head Bolts .

Rotors were out .... When swapped to another surface ( opposite Wheel ) or rotated on same surface .... had same ammount of runout at the same locations on each individual Disc.

11. WILLYSDOCTOR

WILLYSDOCTOR

I have the Plain Steel Rotors. Total performance had the Stainless Drilled ones ( look better IMO ) but they no longer offer them.

The Vendor I am dealing with plans to offer Drilled Rotors in the future but did not say when they would be available.

12. WILLYSDOCTOR

WILLYSDOCTOR

Got my Replacement rotors awhile back and this set is much better. One Rotor at .007" and other at .009" . Vendor was Jim Wilkos at Wintec Fabrication. ( 203-294-1339 ) When I contacted him , replacements were to me in a few days at no cost. Would gladly do business with him in the future.

13. Kurto

Kurto

Who makes this kit? I'm actually interested, not looking to expose/flame the vendor. Pete & Jakes do a kit don't they? Send me PM if you would prefer. Good luck with it.

14. WILLYSDOCTOR

WILLYSDOCTOR

Calipers & pads are Willwood. All other items are from Wintec. Unsure what Pete & Jakes has.

15. Very good information. was researching Wintecs web site today. Thanks Willysdoctor

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You might want to check around , Wintech has been having troubles delivering on time {if at all] , just a heads up ...