Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Paint color opinions needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamed34, Feb 5, 2010.

1. flamed34

flamed34

Hey HAMBers,

I'm sitting here with my leg up after a failed attempt to walk on ice in my driveway (grade 3 sprain), and getting restless to get out to the garage and back on my '34 Chevy. As I look through pics on here, I see various paint schemes and I'm looking for input.

My plan all along has been aimed towards a 60's style hot rod / custom. I've planned black with traditional flames with a red interior, red engine, etc. I'm incorporating a '63-67 'vette dash, coming down and sweeping back to form the center console hump...tied to a widened matching dash as the rear package tray (with the double humped dash openings framing the rear seat backs). The front dash is modified for fit and will take other gauges so it will be "reminiscent" of a 'vette without the exact look. I have early 70's 'vette seats that I will cut down and modify to resemble the 63-67 seats (I bought the seats because of width, not necessarily because they were vette). I've planned on red looped pile carpet - what would have been in a mid-sixties vette.

In short - I've been trying to build the car to look as it might have been built in the mid-60's.

Other details about the build - no hood sides, lake headers, tri-carb setup, louvered hood top, @ 4 1/2" chop, aggressive stance. I'm also planning steelies with spider caps.

I've always loved black and traditional flames - I'll add a pic from a bike I recently flamed to show what I'm thinking. But I see so many classy alternatives!

So what do you HAMBers think - should I follow my paint plans (I need to start spraying parts soon) - or can you come up with better schemes? Also, opinions on blackwall, whitewall, or? Wheels?

Thanks, Sean
    BTW - these are older pics, just in a mock up stage. It's much further along now, I just don't have any current pics.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      460.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      497.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      415.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      393.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      501.8 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      499.2 KB
      Views:
  2. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Green is the new black.

3. Ole don

Ole don

Killer car. Black with flames is timeless, it will never be old. Paint is 100 bucks a gallon. Color is free.

4. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

i like two color lower red on top white pearl make your car look lower and longer.

5. dawg

dawg

Honduras maroon, with black fenders...

and limo the glass...

6. Looks like you are going to end up with a 60s custom.I would suggest a candy apple red,but not the modern version,the version that Barris painted with.I think it was candy apple over a white base but I don't know for sure.But it didn't look as metallic as the newer candies look.

7. adams27

adams27

matching the bike would be bitchin with some slotted mags and blackwall tires: a bad guy car.

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

IMHO, black and flames are the way to go! I Had a Harley painted like that, that I rode for over 20 years. That scheme just never goes out of style.

9. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

I was thinking about having my car and bike sprayed at the same time so they would be matched. Your car would look good painted like your bike, but that would cost a ton. What kind of bike is that?

10. flamed34

flamed34

Thanks for the ideas and comments...keep 'em coming.

Woodhawg - I recently sold the bike, but believe it or not it's an '81 Yamaha XS I built - lots of custom parts so it had very little resemblance to what it started as. I do my own paint work, so cost isn't a factor.

I absolutely love doing flame work - I really love the old Rod Powell painted "Hell Rod" and that would most likely be the overall look I would go for (obviously with drastic differences due to body style variation). Pic below:

http://image.rodandcustommagazine.com/f/8850909/p121911_image_large.jpg

Anyone have other pics of Hell Rod??

If I go with black and flames, the car HAS to scream "badass"!

11. Stephen67

Stephen67

Beautiful car! It's just mean looking, and I think the black with fire paint job would really fit it well. There are a lot of projects I've seen where it didn't seem to match, but I think it would be classic on yours.

I think you'd end up regretting going a different direction, espcially since you enjoy that paint job so much. It would be timeless on that car.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

black with flames. my favorite color.

please don't put whitewalls on it. I'm getting sick of whitewalls on everything.

13. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

The flame job on the bike is really cool and would really look good carried over onto the car . The Hell Rod idea is a good way to go , except for the flames on the roof . Just my 2 cents .

14. mercmandan

mercmandan
    from Tucson

My daddy told me it's yours, paint it you got to drive it. "people forget names, but never forget flames"

15. flamed34

flamed34

LOL Mercmandan....I love that quote! Thanks for sharing it!

16. olds vroom

olds vroom

by all means go black with the flames,thats what im going to do but im going for three layers twissting into each other .

17. doctorZ

doctorZ

i like green or maroon. something dark. but it looks like you have a bit more work ahead of you before paint ...

18. flamed34

flamed34

DoctorZ...like I said initially, those are older photos. The current state is much closer, I just don't have current state photos. 95% of the body is in high build and blocked, I'm putting the finishing touches on the passenger's side door, etc. I need to finish sorting out the interior, but then the whole thing gets blown apart to finish.

Hence, the reason for this thread. I'll be starting to paint door jambs, inner panels, components, etc. I need to make my final paint decisions now to keep from back-tracking later.

19. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

rick front.jpg

20. olskool37

olskool37

when I think 60's.. I think metalflake, and when I think HOTROD, I think red...

That being said and if it were my ride to squirt...

Exterior: I'd have to go with a red metalflake, and white pearl panel job, with fade-away borders,

Interior: red n white tuck n roll, with that krazy kool kustom konsole idear ya got there. Tuck n roll running boards n roof insert may be an option. Tie in some of the Corvette interior color schemes (red/white)

Wheels n Tires: Originally, I was thinking wide whites n piecut cheaters on Radirs.. but the steelies n spiders could work as well, maybe with some skinnier white walls, or double line whites.

just my kooky konception, J.

21. your paint plan works for me. i sat do it!
    as for the wheels, i believe everyone should buy up complete sets of mags, solids, wires and diffrent tyres so you can run with what you feel like on any given day. of course that could get a little expensive.

22. BLACK with flames, but outline the flames and make em look like real fire-flames, not stencil.

23. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Don't do it dude! Go traditional!

24. heritic88

heritic88

first of all that thing is sick man second of all i think a nice blue pearl with some ghost flames would be tight i know ppg has a bad ass blue in omni for like 56 bucks a quart but do it how you want it not on how everyone says it should be

25. flamed34

flamed34

If I stay with the black and flames, they'll be traditional. Real fire, as well as tribal, are too "era specific". IMO, I think we'll look back at "real fire" flames much the same way as we look at pastels of the 80's. Plus, "real fire" are more at home on a high dollar boyd and tweed wearing street rod...

I've toyed with the idea of red...but there's something so overdone about red. It'd be the easy choice, and my body work wouldn't have to be as flawless...

I'm pretty much decided against whitewalls on it...I've always pictured it in blackwalls, but it's something I considered.

Keep the ideas coming though, it helps me to think the options through!

26. Here's one conservative approach.
    [​IMG]

27. flamed34

flamed34

Toby,
    Sweet! That's actually not too far off the factory green that was on this car originally. I've thought about it, but couldn't really "see" it! Hmmmm.....now ya got me thinkin'!

I like the 5 spoke treatment too!

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

29. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

That looks real freakin cool!

30. peter johnson

peter johnson

Paint same as bike!the end!