Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

For me it was no bigger in our area than Francis Lewis Blvd. Queens NY. Deer Park Avenue in LI was cool and if you want the races, Fountain Ave. Fancis Lewis is a washed up ghost town now.

2. RandyatBBY

RandyatBBY
    BANNED

In 1962 threw 1967 it was Palm Canyon drive in Palm Springs Ca. I drove a lot of different cars 1948 Austin dorset totaly stock, 1955 210 wagon, 1953 merk, 63 VDub woith a Corvair motor, 57 furry convert, My mom and dad;'s new cars some times. My brothers 31 ford roadster stock, and so on.
    Easter weekend and week was a blast.

3. NealinCA

NealinCA

Same here...

4. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

we hit brookside,memorial,then out to claremore and would go out to sapulpa sometimes..all this in the mid-late 80s . primer and later on orange 73 camaro.

5. RRuss

RRuss
    from Lowman, Id

Hung out at Jerrys in Compton, Ca cruised most of the Drive-ins in
    So. Cal Would go as far as my pennies would take me. If I had the money I spent cruising I'd be a wealthy man. LOL Always enjoyed meeting the girls and looking at all the cool cars This all took place in the early 50's Met my wife at the Wheel in Compton. Still married. Love to do it again But hell I'd might forget how to get back home.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Pretty much the same story here; Colby Avenue in Everett, the Renton Loop, in wherelse, Renton, Golden Gardens in Seattle, and one spot a little less popular, and more street racing oriented, Harbor Island in Seattle. The tuner types have caused a lot of street racing problems the last few years wherever there are industrial areas, and they're patrolled. Once a year, they reopen Colby for the Cruise to Colby car show. Death of an era to my generation; stop the planet, I wanna get off. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Cruised Carmack Blvd. and Trotwood Ave. in Columbia TN in the late 60's early 70's. Hung out at Shoneys, Shamrock's Pool Hall and the Sunset Drive-in Theater. Drove a 60 VW and a 68 Duster... My cousin had a 64 GTO... Those were the good ole days!

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Houston, Tx. had Westheimer. I did it between '77-'89. I cruised a '66 Mustang coupe. The heavy bucks street racing was done on Rankin Rd., the regular cars raced on the IH 59 feeder roads around Fondren and Gessner. Each year the cops moved us further out the strip. The kids still cruise Westheimer, but it's mostly ricers and other new model cars.:mad: I took my T Bucket a few times, just for the sake of doing it in a hot rod. I had always wanted a hot rod "back in the day". I'd probably stay away now though. There's a wreck just about every Friday or Saturday night.

On that last note, why is it the cars that try to race are the ones that are crap boxes?:confused:

9. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

In San Antonio, Buddy's and the Triple-XXX on Fredericksburg Road, then later (early '60s) Broadway-Austin Hwy from the "downtown" Pig Stand (there were two) out Austin Hwy past Bun 'n' Barrel to Frontier Drive In until it closed.
    Fearless

10. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

the Route 66 Rendezvous is about as close as I would want to be to E street now after dark. Even at that event it's gets a little crazy sometimes.

11. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

E St. in Berdoo mid sixties-early seventies, races up on Kendall Drive. Other race sites were Green Spot Rd. in Mentone and Bryant St. in Yucaipa.

Blacktop VooDoo likes this.
  12. Ghost28

Ghost28

Colfax avenue from east of aurora to down town Denver. Once down town we did the loop of 15th AND 16TH streets. If that got boring, we headed to north federal blvd to the scotchman drive in where as long as you ordered something you could hang there for awhile. For late night, or early morning activity. We would head out to 39th and peoria for some late night drag racing, we usually could get away with until 2:00 or a little later, then the cops would shut us down because of complaints. So they said...John

13. HanelineJake

HanelineJake

In Anaheim, St. College Blvd. at Angelo's

14. Charlotte NC '57- 60's

Wilkinson Blvd--start @ B-B-Q King then to Town& Country (both these drive-ins still in business!) then to Honey's on Morehead...(I'll never forget seeing 13 '57 Chevy Bel-aire hardtops parked side-by -side there one night!!) back onto Independence Blvd for some stoplight action , then loop around and make another lap...Man ,those were the days...

15. drfreeze

drfreeze

DITTO brother!
    now there's bald hill on Tues night , bellmore on Fri , and OBI sun morning ...big money races on 878 Nassau expressway ..I miss all the old action on hempstead tnpk and 231 ... light to light racing all night , don't forget OAK st in hempsted some serious action there and I have to mention Fountain ave & south conduit

16. i275

i275

Totum pole on woodward 1960s and telegragh 60s + 70s :D won a lot of $$ with a 58 vett.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Central ave. in Phoenix from about '79 - '92 or 3. When that wasn't happenin', Main out in Mesa was, or for awhile Metrocenter on the West side. 'Course there was always Mill ave in downtown Tempe - not much for car stuff, but lots of female types! But mostly central. Hell, it's no accident that my home is about 10 doors from central, I found it out cruising one night in '88! For those not familiar with the size and scale of Phoenix, that was allot of driving! There was someplace to be damn near every night of the week.

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Whittier Blvd, in Whittier, Ca.

19. evolvo

evolvo
    from Seattle

Yes, yes, yes, memories are flooding back. Used to cruise to all those places. I didn't graduate Wheaton High till '67. You've got a few years on me!!
    Thanx!!!!!

20. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Mostly Whittier Blvd for me- late 60's in a maroon 64 Chevelle w/ straight axle & tunnel ram.
    I got kicked out of Bob's Big Boy for life.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

That's funny...as soon as I read you cruz'd Gratiot I thought to myself probably in a Chrysler.....and sure enough I was right. Seems like the majority on the Eastside drove Chrysler products. The majority were Fords on the Westside here. Kinda the same nowdays too.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

In the 80's and early 90's in El Paso Texas I use to cruise Toys are Us parking lot. When the cops came we just switched to the next big Parking lot. If we wanted to do some drag racing we went down the street to Industrial.. We also met in the North East at Super Shops on Dyer. Then we all headed way out on the highway and got it on. Trailered cars and everything. Also east side raced down Montwood and gosh another out back in the industrial park. I got plenty Minor in possession tickets but I cant remember LOL Saw a few get killed and plenty of crashes. Man were those the days or what!!!

23. narlee

narlee

Late 60's early 70's cruised from the A&W by Borst Park to Rectors Pizza, Centralia Wa. In the early 70's also 6th Ave. in Tacoma in my 61 Vette that I still have, that would be about the same time as 40FORDPU. The racing was either at "Beardogs" or Airport Rd.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  24. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

Bob's on Colorado in Pasadena,out to Glendale then Riverside Dr for some serious street racing------I had the GT350 that all the Chevy guys said was a rock----until they paid me.Fun times and great people.

25. RDR

RDR

1959-1962...Eugene, Oregon.......cruised Willamette Street south and Oak street North....El Pronto Drive in...A&W at 29th & Willamette or if you went to South Eugene High it was Bargers Drive In next to the Eugene (movie) Drive In Theater....Willamette High had Rons Drive In.....drag racing was usually out on Crow RD,Lorain Hwy, Airport RD, or Beacon DR ...until I-5 was under construction and then we had the Midnight Nationals out on the freeway until they actually opened the road to traffic...Some good racing until the local law got wind of our shenanigans!!! We finally got a drag strip a bit later

26. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

i used to cruise the capitol square and east washington ave in madison wisconsin . the drag races were on lien road !

27. Lightning

Lightning
    from N. Nevada

S.F.V. - mid to late 60's

28. Neglected Legacies

Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

In Fort Lauderdale it was from Jerry's Drive-In down Sunrise Blvd to the beach - cruise the beach to Las Olas - take Las Olas through downtown and back around to cruise through Jerry's. Repeat all night, and then do one more lap just in case...

29. John T.

John T.

Early 90's, Mentor Ohio, Tyler BLvd. was the race spot and we would cruise a few differant spots lookin for races. There was 6- 10 of us that would go out every Friday and Sat. for a summer. not Hamb freindly cars but they we had fun. Here is some video I still had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4mTuzNxEUA

30. Johnny99

Johnny99

Colby Ave. in Everett WA, once in awhile Golden Gardens or the Renton Loop. Late 70s early 80s. I know its an OT car, but I would love to have my two owner SS 454 four speed Chevelle back. Any Northwest/Everett guys remember the street racing at the Checkered Flag Inn on Airport Road? John