Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bakelite

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnuman, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Is bakelite still manufactured?
    Is so does anyone know of any suppliers?
    Thanks.

2. VonWegener

VonWegener

what is bakelite exactly?

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

old plastic

polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride

I just googled it. looks like it is still being made.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  4. woodman

woodman

I believe it is Phenolic. Layers of resign and cloth. Wear a respirator if you machine it.

5. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

FYI most plastics are either:

Thermoplastic - becomes pliable when heated - most commom plastic used today

Thermosetting- - becomes solid when heated - still used in specific industries

Bakelite - named after inventor - is a formaldehyde based resin that was poured into a mold and heated to make it solidify. Still used for electrical parts.

6. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

sheet metal is are wright

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I dont think bakelite is layered?

I cut phenolic pretty regular at work too

8. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

No, bakelite is not layered, but is phenolic (contains Phenol).

9. 85-percent

85-percent

can you get it in billet?

-90% Jimmy

10. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Is full of toxic shit like Dioxin . Be very carefull !

11. B Blue

B Blue

What is Bakelite? Short answer, Great Shit! It is resistant to most any solvent (I don't know of anything that it is susceptible to, but there's gotta be something out there), tough, dimensionally stable, easily machinable, does not conduct electricity and is a poor heat conductor.

BTW, it is the stuff circuit boards are made of.

Bill

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I would have to say yes..
    I know it is used in some aircraft applications..looks a bit different than the old days stuff but its still bakelite.
    just installed an insulator cover for a remote electrical "ground power service" receptical in an 08 cessna 182..and it sure looked like and acted like bakelite to me.

13. B Blue

B Blue

Yes, it is still available from McMaster-Carr under the name Garolite. I guess Bakelite is a trademark. Here is the McMaster-Carr link.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#garolite-sheets/=5owpym

Good luck deciding which formulation you want!

Bill

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Distributor caps, hair combs, jewelry, the uses have been varied and many over the years.

15. DJR13

DJR13
    from Venice, Ca

:confused: Huh?

16. Heaps of old radio cabinets were made of it.
    A lot of older english cars had bakelite dash panels.
    eg prefect etc.

See here.

This is an old '49 or so bakerlite ford prefect dash.

[​IMG]

17. billsat

billsat

Hey Hubbcat - You spell better than a lot of Americans on the HAMB - don't worry about it.

18. grapp

grapp

Lionel Trains used bakelite as their plastic on all pre WWII trains, even the Madison style heavyweight coaches were bakelite. Usually it was a very very dark brown or black in color, and while very durable, it will DISSOVLE if you dunk it in a vat of carb kleaner like napa sells in 5 gallon pails....ask me how i know???

19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I've read on the HAMB that the WW2 British Spitfire fighter seats were made of Bakelite.
    Wouldn't THAT be a cool seat to run in a Hot Rod!!!

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

bakelite is a early plastic made from soybeans. It becomes very brittle with age.

21. The Garolite seems to be resin/cloth layered.
    I want to use bakelite to machine some knobs and switches,so I am not sure if that would work.

22. That is a beautiful dash.
    I want to machine an inlay of bakelite with some knobs and switches in my dash.

23. noboD

noboD

I don't think bakelite has fiberglass cords in it, it is what OLD distributor caps were made of. Garolite and phenolic both have fiber in them. Garolite is what circuit boards are made of.

24. carbking

carbking

25. Phil1934

Phil1934

That dash is the definition of art deco. Perfect.

26. It can be repaired with methylmethacrylate. I make dentures and have repaired it the same way I repair dental appliances. It's not a strong repair, but it works for non-stressed parts like knobs and toys.

Always use proper breathers/masks/evacuation stuff when grinding plastic. OSHA says so.

27. missmaggiethecat

missmaggiethecat

very early bakelite involved phenol, later formaldahyde. no soybeans, and it does not get brittle with age (celluloid does, however, which pre-dates bakelite). I've read that Henry Ford was trying to come up with a soybean based plastic and wanted to produce cars with plastic bodies as he was passionate about helping the American farmer. Apparently that didn't work out for him.

28. sololobo

sololobo

I have been in the vintage cloting and accessory business for 25 years, I have a lot of bakelite I have saved from cabinet handles and would like to know if I can cut this with power tools and a make some jewelry or knob items. I would wear a mask or resperator. Can it be cut? Hope so the stuff is so beautiful. I have secured my wife a great jewelry collection over the years, that stuff is way pricy these days!! Thanx for any info available. ~Sololobo~

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

now I find out :rolleyes:

30. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I used to work for an antique telephone refurbishing shop and a lot of early "plastic" phones were made from bakelite. Drills and cuts easy. Sometimes we had to use 2 phones to make one and use an epoxy resin to join the halves together, sand smooth, and repaint with a black laquer. We also used 3m spot putty to fill any voids or reshaping. If the phone was in decent enough shape we just buffed it out - working our way up through the grits on a pedestal buffer. Using the right buffs for each grit. Shine right up to a glossy, like-new shine.