Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Parts Cleaner... what solvent to use???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Feb 1, 2010.

1. We use mineral spirits and all my buddies wifes tell em when they get home " You smell like his shop!" So the odor depends on the smeller...........

2. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

I bought a HF parts washer years ago. At first I tried using water-based solvent (Purple Power) like the instructions say, but it evaporates quickly and will corrode the hell out of anything. Also doesn't cut grease that well when you dilute it that much. Does a hell of a job taking skin off though.

Gave up on that and bought a couple 7 gallon pails of Safety-Kleen. Works much better, you just have to remember to keep the lid closed. Solvents will kill the pump, according to the instructions, but mine's been going for close to ten years and all I've ever done is change the filter. HF sells replacement pumps on their website, but it might be cheaper to just buy another parts washer.

3. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

I used that Rubbermaid/Water solution in mine last night and it worked just fine. It works well enough that I don't have to worry about dying from using it (either burning, or inhalation). I cleaned up a rear diff cover with diff lube on the inside, as well as some 4wd front spindles with axle grease and it took it off too.

The parts are not completely devoid of grease residue like they would be with a petroleum based product, but they are "clean". The solution in the tank does not break down the excess grease that comes off, so it does not seem to get "dirty" like petroleum based stuff either.

I will post up the Degreaser brand name and part number tonight - forgot to check. Only issue I will have is I don't heat my Shop and it might freeze up our lovely 0°F weather in Missouri. Thought about using some sort of RV anti-freeze in with it, but not sure what I should use.

4. blojectedj

blojectedj
    from oklahoma

Best thing I ever used was naptha but can't find it locally anymore so I use mineral spirits. Mineral spirits seem to work well but not nearly as well as the naptha did.

5. banjorear

banjorear

Dang, that is a great idea. Thanks.

6. Broncoholic

Broncoholic
    from Michigan

Safety Kleen best way to go with there naptheen solvent, Naptha/Mineral spirits. non recycled Get a 30 Gal drum & keep the drum.
    I have a GrayMills auto washer set it & forget it.

7. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

I use mineral spirits. Buy it from Lowes in 5 gal cans. I have a cheap Chinese 20 gallon parts cleaning cabinet. It takes about ten gallons to raise the level so the pump can pick up the mineral spirits. Keeping the lid closed helps with evaporation. After five years I had to add about a gallon.

8. GTS225

GTS225

I'd like to know if anybody has tried Soylent Green.....'scuse me....Simple Green. We've used it at my workplace out of a 5-gal bucket, and it seems to do a decent job of cutting even synthetic lubes.
    It wouldn't work for the water layer at the bottom as a sediment reservoir, but I don't know if it would effect the pump(s).

Roger

9. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

10. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Stuff works good, but is not recommended for aluminum stuff...........It will corrode it.

11. 440shawn

440shawn

I bought the same 20 gal parts cleaner from HF and I have been using simple green in mine seems to work ok.

12. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I just bought 5 gallons of "Extreme Green Professional Parts Cleaner" at Thiesens this afternoon. I'll let you know how it works...