Register now to get rid of these ads!

Woodie plans??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al, May 27, 2006.

1. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Around here, "old used wood" is more expensive than new wood. There are several businesses that sell only old salvaged wood.

Unless that wood is really rotten, there are products that can save it. For example, the Model T guys have a product that saves wood wheels.

2. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

thanks for the Model T idea, but this stuff is bad, way beyond fixing....

Its just the the local Wood workers "were" making too much money on new construction kitchen cabinets.....

that might change with the housing loan problems.....

3. davesville

davesville

al .the woodguys advice is good. steel bracing over the timber. the timber is just a carrier the steel plates absorb the movement and stiffen up the frame. this is really custom framework and not alot of steel plates are needed (i do this everyday in house construction but houses are not ment to travel 50 plus miles an hour but they still move over time).i recently purchased fisher service body manual 26 to 32 20 bucks on ebay lots of info even about how to attach the roof to windshield pillars . i wil try to get back to you soon with plans from oz (what do you want to build ) dave

4. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

a couple of A model wood things...basic boxes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Abomination

Abomination

Nice!

Ever do a bus-like wagon?

~Jason

6. Jersey Girl 32

Jersey Girl 32
    from Jersey

Al,

Mike Nickels did a great job on my husband's 36 Ford. This was when it was leaving for Michigan!

Nickels Automotive Woodworking
    Traverse City, Michigan 49686 USA
    231-947-2599

Attached Files:

7. ndrprez

ndrprez

What size steel tubing should I use to fabricate the steel structure for the woodie I am going to build.

Thanks,

Mike Miller
    Springfield, OH

8. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

the sizes change from body to body.. 1 inch square heavy wall on most of it..3/4 and rectangular tubing in the doors.. plus alot of cut steel to fit the curves..

wood

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

I have loved the woodie for a long time. I have thought before the best way is to fab-up a 1" tube structure. Good to know the experts agree. As for the shape, I am building a '28 Ford closed cab pickup. I think I will start with the pickup cab wood kit for the basic cab area proportions. Then extend those proportions on back. Won't know 'till I try it.

10. What's wrong with plywood and primer?
    [​IMG]

11. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

[​IMG]

maybe you need these rare woodheads...or

[​IMG]

how about wooden dropped beams...

wood

12. mushmouth

mushmouth
    from Minnesota

I purchased a Williams & Hussey moulding machine for wood trim in my house but the real intent was to some day build a woodie with the model A cowl my son and I have stashed. Can someone recommend where to get cutters made for the beltline trim and pillars. I was given the opportunity to photograph and measure the wood sub assemblies of a 46 Ford woodie that was being restored and that really opened my eyes to really how doable such a project as this is. I have been woodworking for several years now and have enough tools to build about anything from wood that I want. I am dependant on my son for the metal work. He is an alumni from Dunwoody Inst. for welding and Wyotech for street rod fab. Together I know we could build a righteous woodie. I believe the Williams and Hussey machine is up for the task but any input from the experienced among would be greatly appreciated.

13. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

I machined my own...dont think you will find a pre made beltline cutter..

just find something close and you can machine away the extra.. or even do it with blades tooled for different sections...and make several passes

the beltline and fingerjoints will tell right away if the car homebrewed or the real deal...

wood...

14. ndrprez

ndrprez

I am finally going to get started on the body for my woodie project....I understand that I need to build up a steel structure to "hang" the wooden body parts from. What is the best way to do fasten the wood to the steel structure? Wood screws from the backside or bolts from the front, covered by the belt moldings, etc.? Other types of fasteners? Should I use stainless steel fasteners, even in areas that will not be exposed to the weather? Thanks, Mike Miller

15. GlenC

GlenC

I started (but never finished, story of my life) a 28-9 A woodie project back in the early 80's. During my research I found out the 28-9 A woodie used 27 T coupe door pillars as they are some 3" longer than an A sedan cowl pillar. this gives the early woodies their raised roofline.

I don't know what door pillars the 30-31 A woodie used, these later A's have the downward sloping roofline over the front doors, so presumably they used stock A closed car pillars.

Now, woodguy, while I've got your attention....

There was a 'chopped and channeled' deuce woodie featured in a rod magazine in the mid 1960's. Fenderless, bobbed rear fenders from memory, SBC (of course) and even a special 'pocket' in the roof to stash the malibus in. I believe it was scratchbuilt on a gennie cowl and frame. Do you have any knowledge of this car, or the magazine it appeared in?

Cheers, Glen.

16. bct

bct

anybody need a hand with anything pm me....i've been a chair frame maker for 20 yrs... making full size plans would be a start

17. tfee

tfee

I made this woody over the last few years and just got it on the road a few months ago. I drew most of it up in autocad before I built anything and if it looks like something you'd be interested in driving I could help you out with plans. This entire car is made from recycled oak with a 3/4"x4'x'8 oak veneer plywood floor and 7/16"x4'x8' fir ply roof. The frame is custom but you could stick this body on any frame with any motor you choose, I'm running a jag mill.

Attached Files:

18. And the same again here.
    BTTT

I'm keen on any info about building a custom woodie.
    Been a carpenter for 40+ years and will enjoy using my skills in this way.

19. sawzall

sawzall

Given my recent projects I think the best solution
    would suggest finding a runnng model a ( or similar ) 4 door sedan
    and building a body in place of the doors and roof

I watched a 30 chev cross the bj auction block on thursday it was bid to 50k
    it was a street rod and didn't look anything like what a early wagon should

show me any 30 Chevy worth 50 k

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  20. designs that work

designs that work

I do not have any plans. The Woodguy has a photoshop of a phantom. Alloway Spedstar front with a drawn woody back.
    I really like the concept. I copied the drawing and had it blown up to 14 x 20 inches. Then spent a couple of nights scaling or measuring the drawing. Friend suggested making a full size mock up out of plywood. After the mock up was done mounted it at ride height on a dolly. Decided it was ok, not as swoopy as the woodguy's photoshop but ok. Basic reverse enginering built the frame to suit the body. Followed woodguy's plan of 1 x1 sq. tubing except for doors and door jams are 1 x 2 tubing. Pictures in my album.

21. I have the original 1929 dodge body that Iam going to use as a buck to make templates from, quite similar to how boats are built using stations where the ribs occur. From these templates I will play with the shape to get what pleases my eye.
    Maybe for your project you could get the body of your choice and template it.
    Happy whitling, Rob

22. Len

Len

Hello, I cut 4 woody bodies a couple of years back from an origional 29 woody body. I sold 3 full wood kits an am building the last one. I have a 4.3 Chev, auto and a 8in rear. I'am also using a B&M blower on it. I'am keeping all four doors. I have it slammed pretty much using a dropped axel. For the cowl use a Model A pick-up cowl with the tall top, header ( pick-up ). Let me know if I can help. Later Len

23. Photos would be good if you can manage that...

24. woodyford

woodyford
    from Sweden

how about a woodyroadster?

Attached Files:

25. tdoty

tdoty

The old school way:
    pg191.jpg

pg192.jpg

pg193.jpg

pg194.jpg

Tim D.

26. Abomination

Abomination

27. willymakeit

willymakeit

See if you have a custom millwork shop in your area. Take a profile and blank cutters and they will proably help you out.

28. Buford Solomon

Buford Solomon

Thanks for the link. Great stuff. I see answers to quite a number of my questions on constructing a wooden car body.

BS

29. sawzall

sawzall

He is also a Hamber