Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric Choke Quadrajet to Manual

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frosty21, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Is there anyway to convert the electric choke quadrajets to a manual set-up? Seems like I read or heard somewhere that its not possible for some reason. I just bought one off a running truck for $10, and can trade it to a Manual Choke model, but it needs rebuilt.

Its going on a 307 with HEI ignition.

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

So YOU must be the reason that almost every carburetor I find at swap meets in PA has had the choke ripped out of it.

3. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Yes. You should be able to find one or at least order one from your local part store. I'm not sure what stores all have dorman products, or the motormoite "help" line but around me carquest and napa stores do. I'm not sure if the part number is right, but I think 55101 is it. The kit should look like this one​

Attached Files:

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Pitts64 [​IMG]
    I always remove the choke and all it's hardware... They are not needed... My 83 Olds smog 307 fires right up in 0 degree weather without the choke...
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I find this pretty God Dammed hard to believe. I've run a few Quadrajets. I ran one for a LONG time on my 340 which originally had a Thermojunk

5. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

DUH.. do yu want o run a Manual Choke or a DIVORCED CHOKE?
    eg: cable to the dash, or stove coil in intake crossover?

Roch on a Mopar? thats just plain wrong.

6. The Q Jet has probably the best and most reliable electric choke on the planet For what possible reason would one want to remove it. For years I overhauled at least two Q-jets per week for a local engine rebuilder who had a huge chevy and chevy marine business. Probably nearly 1000 just for him. I cant not imaging why you would want to remove the electric choke. It is reliable, simple to adjust and works pefectly . What is the actual problem?

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

He may be a member of the "automatic chokes is fer fags" club.

8. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Cable to the dash. I just figure its less stuff to fail. I'm really not sure how it works, and just distrustful of smog era stuff. How much does the kit run for?

9. The problem with putting a cable on a Q jet or any cabe not made to use it is they have a stepped fast idle cam. Carbs made for manual chokes do not. The first time you pull the choke cable and dont open the throttle first all you little chinese crappy cable brackets will bend. Fourteen of your bddies with be shhouting advice although few if any wil actually know what happened and you will join the ranks of those who have succeeded intaking a perfectly functioning device and making it all but useless.
    You would be better off just removing the choke if you are bent on not using the electric part. Then you will have to pump it several times for starting and hold it open and keep it running with your foot. But it is you car. You can do that.
    Don

10. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

So how do I actually make the electric choke function with a custom wiring harness? Carbs have never really been my strong point, haha.

11. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

That makes sense; Can't we just take the fast idle cam off, and associated levers and it would then work?

i'll get back to you as i have some questions about the electric choke as well.

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Keyed 12v. Nothing more. Could not be any simpler. It grounds thru the carb body, so literally one wire.

Many years ago I converted a couple of em to manual choke without the specific Qjet kit. Somehow they also became manual secondary and bogged like you wouldn't believe. Being a stupid 15 year old, I didn't know why and haven't tried since.

Frankly all choke variations, divorced, integral vacuum, and electric all work great. If you can get em sealed up, the vacuum version are deadly accurate in super cold weather. The kind of weather when chokes should never fully open.

13. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I agree with those who say the Quadrajet has a very good choke set up, the only problem is if you have a divorced choke carb without the correct manifold, if you have an integral choke you can either hook up a wire or if it works off of heat there are kits out there to pick up exhaust manifold heat, just make sure it opens all the way as some have linkage to stop the upper secondary's from opening when it's cold

14. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Its going on a generic edelbrock performer. One wire? Geez. I think I'll probably leave it Electric Choke then, make it easier on myself.

15. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Please discuss more on this specific topic as i:

a) am learning more about choke systems (namely rochester) and am debating whether to go manual, electic, hot air or vacuum. i presently have hot air.

b) have recently, due more to nessesity--need transportation(although also thru fascination and curiousity) become a "serious amateur carbologist."

2) If the thermac-type air cleaner system is in place and working properly---thus supplying warm air to the carb, would the requirement of the choke never fully opening on very cold days still need to apply?

16. twofosho

twofosho

You asked, so here goes;

Until the intake manifold warms up, fuel atomized by the carburetor flowing against cold manifold walls will be condensed back to a liquid. Because the fuel needs to be atomized (vaporized) and in the proper ratio with air for combustion, when this happens the engine stumbles and can even stall, especially when the throttle is slammed open. Regardless of the type of actuation, the choke is there simply to provide an overly rich mixture to compensate for this, and allow enough atomized fuel for the engine run. An exhaust heat riser passage under the intake manifold is provided to quickly bring the manifold up to temperature allowing the choke to be pulled off more quickly. It also provides a convenient tapping place to supply hot air to choke coils. This type of choke coil (hot air) is the most responsive to the engine's needs regardless of where the actual coil is placed and how it's connected to the choke blade. Most engines with OEM exhaust manifolds will have one with a thermostatically controlled butterfly valve to force exhaust into the heat riser passage.

Thermostatic air valve is placed in an air cleaner snorkel to help drivability as the engine warms up. It does this by using a temperature controlled vacuum switch to change the position of a butterfly valve in the snorkel to block off ambient air when the engine is cold and admit air heated in a sheet metal stove surrounding an exhaust manifold. Once the engine is fully up to temp, the vacuum switch returns the butterfly valve to a position where virtually all air is drawn in through the snorkel(s).

If the above is hard to read, it's because I'm going to bed and pulled it out of my head with little or no revision, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  17. davidh73750

davidh73750

I've had a few electric choke quadrajets and liked them a lot. Had one on a mildly built 400 in a 4x4 always started easily. and run to a wire thats ignition hot, find one under the hood with a test light or fuse box. trying to make one manual=bad idea

18. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) On electric chokes, after the engine is shut off does the choke coil generally cool down at the same rate as the engine----like in about 2 hours everything is pretty much the same as ambient temperature?

a) how hot does an electric choke get?

2) With hot air chokes, isn't there a tiny bit of hot air being injested into the engine? How is this matter addressed?

a) would a hot air choke generally cool down at the same rate as an electric choke coil?

19. squirrel

squirrel

Pretty much.

Hot enough you don't want to touch the heating element. That's why it's in that housing where you can't reach it.

it's ignored because it does not affect anything.

Probably.

20. squirrel

squirrel

The choke vacuum pulloff might have been one that interacts with the secondary air valve....it's best to leave that stuff alone, it works great as designed, not so good when you take off parts at random.

21. budd

budd

i have converted a few electric choke Q-jets to manual, i use the kit that has been posted, i also have converted the non-electric ones as well with a standard manual choke kit, the problem with any choke that uses a BI-metalic coil is they loose there range over time, they will only do so many cycles and thats it, they start loosing there range from day one, if your having trouble setting up your electric choke it is most likely the coil has lost to much of it's range, if you like an electric choke just go buy a new coil, for myself i stopped running chokes years ago.