Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Geo Poteet ..New Truck @ GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Very well said. I saw it in person. Love the theme, profile, and appreciate the incredible detail. I'm sure it was very expensive. Problem is, money dosen't always buy good taste.

2. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

The first picture I saw of that was just the front half and I thought wow what a killer little modified, still think it would have been a killer little modified.

3. Thanks for the build link Thom. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the final outcome, but damn that is one sharp build. :cool:

4. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Just when I think I get it,the HAMB gives me major headfuck:confused:
    This is sincere attempt to educate myself so I have to ask the question why is it that it's ok for mister Poteet to give his projects to talented builders and not be afraid to "let them run with it" yet, most of the time any other rich guy gives a builder carte blanche' to build a car for them with very little input and just picks up the cheque at the end, everybody screams "goldchainer"? Like I said, really not trying to start anything here, but I am confused. I just couldn't hand over a project to a builder without overseeing the minutest detail. Can someone explain?
    Thanks.
    Paul

5. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

The simple explanation Paul, it is easy to call someone else a gold chainer and try to get some type of internet credibility.:rolleyes: The fact is some people have been building and some people have been paying others to build since the inception of the hobby. Both are traditional if you cut to the chase.

just to keep this post on track, I like this little truck more and more each time I look at it.

6. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Just to be clear,I am NOT calling Mr.Poteet a Goldchainer,just wondering why the 'more hot rod than thou' keyboard warriors haven't when they are usually so vocal.

7. Larry T

Larry T

Maybe because Mr. Poteets cars that are featured here don't display the Pavlovian features (such as billet, easter egg colored, etc.) that we associate with "Goldchainer" that gets us foaming at the mouth and reaching for the keyboard.
    Larry T

8. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I can dig that,thank both you and Bud for your well thought out replies :cool:

9. Weasel

Weasel

I don't think anyone would call Jay Leno, Bruce Meyer or Don Orosco a gold chainer. They are however, whether hands on or hands off, 'Patrons of the Art' just as much as painters, sculptors or musicians would be commissioned down the centuries to produce works for their clients, such as portraits, bronzes or musical pieces. However, when it is an unknown name then it is all too easy to label what you do not understand and this in itself is human nature - if you don't understand it, disparage the person who conceived and financed it. It's like putting down the movie producer and director because they are not the actor or the cameraman.

It has struck me that a brain surgeon or pianist would not risk their hands and their livelihood by working with their hands on cars, but then again Jeff Beck does. The guy who you are putting down as a gold chainer, might just be the surgeon who saves your life.

On another angle maybe the gold chainer thing is behavioral. In my experience new money shouts, old money whispers.....

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Weasel,very erudite.I dig.

11. I think the word "goldchainer" is (or should be) applied to the person that looks at his hot rod as a piece of jewelry like the gold chain he wears around his neck which proclaims his wealth, importantance, and ego above all. Usually they come and go, moving on to the next big thing in their mind. Its all about him, not the car. Men like George Poteet, Jay Leno, Bruce Meyer, Ron Pratt, and Don Orosco are in it for life. They love these old cars as much as you and I do but they have deeper pockets to express it. Like I said in an earlier post here "you've got to hand it to George for building anything he wants and employing a wide range of talent to do it, both big and small. George is a one man "stimulus program" doing what we all wish we could. I especially envy his fleet of Bonneville racers!"

12. slammed

slammed

Too much bling.

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Oh so true, but on the "dark side" the very same patrons with the cash also have the political clout to hold industry leader's ears - from book and magazine publishers, to museum owners, and authors / photographers, and private collectors, and historians and critics by the balls, too. Tell me, do you ever tire of seeing pix of the P&J coupes, the same dammed SOCAL builds or the Peterson roadster again, and again, and again? Or of all the same high buck cars built by the same "Gang of 20" world famous, high-end designer / builders over, and over, and over? And over again? Remember what they say, the guys who write the history books win. All the other guys, the small time builders with good ideas and fabulous craft get left at the curb. The problem with mentors is that they buy their "noise" - they get all the ink and Lord knows why some times as in this case - and the rest of the mob only get to read about it. Building cars and getting famous is no different than in the arts than with cars - the guys with the hustle, BS lines, bucks and inside track are going to make it first. Their work, their designs and their view of the scene is what you will read about. 1000 years from now, historians might think that the Peterson roadster was the only hot rod ever built - or that all the others looked just like it and built by the same guy. It will be the little etching next to the word in the dictonary. All others need not apply. Gary

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  14. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

George is a true gentleman. He likes hot rods and every car he owns displays perfect craftmanship. You can always spot the jealous hammerheads on here. If it has to much bling for you, then build one yourself and let everyone see it on here. Whatever you do, dont look to close at the detailed work that went into this truck. The paint , the wheels, the engine, flawless. Brian Stinger proved himself with this project. And another fine detail job by Troy. And,,,,,, yes i like it.

15. sota

sota

I couldn't of said it any better!!!

16. I do....but what do I know.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Counting other people's money just... well... is bad taste.

George is a good guy... That supports something we all love.

18. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

The obsession with intricate detail has won on this truck. Endless hours of polishing louvers and rivett heads, etc have made this truck really overboard. It has a great stance and overall look and some great engineering and fabrication but the endless glitz from the "I can do more detailed shit than you" attitude have made it difficult to like the looks of this truck. It will, I am sure, as most of these types of cars do, be ran in all of the rod magazines as the "ultimate" what ever and then will fade into oblivion as most of these cars also do. It will not be driven so no one will ever have to clean all of the endless detailed parts and you will probaby see it on one of the high end televised auctions in the future. Just another "flash in the pan".

Rex

19. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you turn your radio on & a country western song is playing & you dislike country western! Change the station & listen to what you like! Don't put down the song & make it look bad & call the singer names just change the station!!! If you don't like George's truck there was many many more to look at & I'm sure you would find one you like! If you finally found the one you like & was standing there looking @ it thinking wow what a bitchin ride & a guy comes up & says wow what a piece of cow dung you would look @ him & think what a jerk! I hope George keeps making cars & trucks for us to see! Again great job George & I have a xtra space in my shop for a Lil Bling! Thanks for going to the trouble & expense to bring your bitchin truck to the show! Bill

20. HOTRODKID91

HOTRODKID91

21. Sometimes less is more!........ In other words, TOO MUCH of a good thing!
    My opinion is that's ...It's over the top!

22. A.A.Additude

A.A.Additude
    from NE Kansas

Does anyone know what color the frame parts are on this truck,, that is such a smooth color. Kind of silvery beige?. Might be a base with flat clear.. I cannot find any specs on this truck anywhere?/ thanks

Attached Files:

23. eisenhower34

eisenhower34

I have been to Brian's Shop over the last two years and seen the work and craftmanship that went into every piece...I was just at the World of Wheels in Chicago today and was blown away by the fact that Troy had his sign and logo sitting in front of this truck that he had only a small part in completing ....paint and helping in the final assembly and some machining that was done. Only a small mention of Brian Stiger on the sign stating he was the designer. I asked Troy about a few of the features of the truck and how "he " completed the task and Troy had the nerve to lie to my face and take credit for something I know he did not do...I think his new shop logo should be "Robbed Rides by Troy" since he more or less has high jacked this truck as something he did in his shop.....what a tool!

I commend the people trying to set the record straight on who actually built this fine vehicle!

24. Clark

Clark

I heard Troy was taking credit for it a Detroit too and saw his sign infront of the truck. Lost all respect i had for him!

It was nice to see the truck in person at detroit. the details are amazing!
    Clark

25. I have to say, the truck looked much better in person than in the pics I saw online. The detail is amazing and there really as a lot of form follows function if you really look at the truck as a whole.

I like it alot and give Brian the builder big credit for all his hard work.

26. It's still ugly

27. Captain Overkill

Captain Overkill
    from Illinois

Stinger is obviously an amazingly talented guy. To build what he did in a "two car garage" is nothing short of a miracle. But, getting a build of that caliber from mocked up in the driveway to complete is far from a "small part" of the process.

28. pullinlines

pullinlines
    from indy

i have to agree with 29sedanman that it is a shame that the man that build the truck for poteet,BRIAN STINGER and NOT rad rides by troy is not getting the credit where credit is due.BRIAN STINGER BUILT THIS TRUCK IN A 2 1/2 CAR GARAGE IN INDY,IN A 3 1/2 YEAR TIME SPAN.BRIAN CONTACTED ME TO DO THE PINSTRIPE ON THE TRUCKS FRAME AND WAS HONORED TO DO THIS FOR HIM,FROM MY UNDERSTANDING,JOSH SHAW DONE THE REST OF THE STRIPING AND LETTERING ON THE TRUCK.....BASICALLY WHAT I AM SAYING IS radrides by troy DID NOT DO THE BUILD ON THIS TRUCK....I SEEN IT WITH MY OWN TWO EYES AT THE SHOP OF STINGERS HOTROD SHOP IN INDIANAPOLIS,IND.

29. I have to agree. If Troy is taking credit for something he didn't do that is not right. I have zero respect or tolerance for people that do this.

30. pullinlines

pullinlines
    from indy

Very well said thom!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.