Register now to get rid of these ads!

60s Vans making come back?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone still selling the van stuff like LMC truck covers various trucks or Synders does Model A? I haven't had much luck finding anything. My van's way too new O/T but Chevy started making that style in 1971; I figured if nothing else parts will be easy, it already has the rear doors swapped out for a set off one 10 years older - that were more solid, go figure.

2. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Actually its harder to find parts for 2nd gen Dodge and Ford and 3rd gen GM vans. Then it is to find parts for the earlies. Stuff is out there but its all nos or just something sitting around on a shelf for 30 years.

3. 4406

from Oklahoma

Hey rev106 what tail lights do you have in your a100? I have an a108 long wheelbase window van. Saved from the crusher going to slam it

4. FYI if ya want to get rid of the back up lights HArley Evo/shovel head points covers bolt right in same size and holes plus theres 100s of cool designs I used the smooth stock chrome ones looked good ON my A100

5. Home Brew

Home Brew

Where did you get the Gull Wing at SCtattooer? I had one from Florida on my 78 short wheel base Ford. Later on, J&J Fiberglass made a better one. I can't find any pictures except in magazines of my van. Musta got lost when we moved. It had a Buick Vista Cruiser roof, J&J Fiberglass flares and visor. Flares were molded in, louvered hood, custom spoiler in front, rolled pan in back. All emblems, door handles, and marker lights removed. All this was covered in candy tangerine over bronze dust. I put 200,00 miles on it before I sold it and quit vanning.

6. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Nice! Looking at that, I just got the idea to metalflake the same way you did around the gauges on my Acadian.

This is one of the many reasons the HAMB rocks!!!!!

7. Not really true, I've owned both and the '71 and newer vans are a bit easier to access the engine because you can pull the cover off on the inside and you have access to just about everything.

8. Not if you do what I did w/my 68 Chevy Van, when I swapped out the 6popper for the big block :eek: I drilled out the spot welds around the engine cover & used clip on nuts & bolts w/a gasket between the cover & the floor. Yes it was a little work to remove the seats & engine cover, BUT it made it a hellva lot easier to reach everything on the engine...joe

9. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

Here's one ive been workin on. Got it for the 360/727 drivetrain.
    Mad Max would be proud...

Attached Files:

10. Faded...your Dad's van was COOL! I dig the headlight treatment!

Fu...nice dash! Let's see the rest of the van!

I cleared my garage...time to make some progress on my 64 Chevy van!

11. scrape

scrape

might want to keep that one around till after 2012 lol....

12. rev106

rev106

harbor freight big rid led lights with plastic pep boys tuner car intake bezels moded to fit.

13. 4406

from Oklahoma

Thanks your truck looks great. Like to see more pics. What motor are you running

14. That sounds slick!

15. rev106

rev106

16. 4406

from Oklahoma

17. In the early 90's there was a van that used to cruise around artesia blvd and in La Mirada area,I even saw it parked one time at the old Nabiscos factory. It was a seventys van and it was a BATMOBILE but in a van version instead of a car.This thing was crazy and it had a shitload of bodywork done to it.Flatback and just sweet.The license plate even read....1BATVAN. I always wished I could of had a couple of pics of that thing. Anyone remember that van ???

18. LiveWire64

LiveWire64

Would love to see the pics of your van or the name,month & year of the magazine it was in. Brad

19. 46 rat

46 rat
    from clever mo

A guy down the road from me has this one for sell. I looks really cool. They have done alot of stuff to it.

PC310153.JPG PC310154.JPG

20. 73super

73super

I prefer the 70's ... My daily is a 78 Ford Econoline 150.

My son is into all things 70's so for fun we did the '78 Econo. Gotta say I'm loving it. Power steering, brakes, shag, wood paneling, turbine wheels. I get the thumbs up a lot. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  21. Since I posted last I've had the best luck finding stuff in junkyards. Chevy in particular they made the same for so long it's not a big deal to strip out a conversion van for whatever of the best pieces.. or an ambulance.. or another cargo van... but taking a hitch off one is a pain in the ass.

22. 4406

from Oklahoma

73super all you need on the back is a couple of stickers like DONT LAUGH YOU DAUGHTER COULD BE IN HERE or IF THIS VANS A ROCKIN DONT BOTHER KNOCKIN I used to see those all the time on vans in the 70's anyway van looks good

23. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

How about.. "ass, grass or gas...nobody rides for free" ...:D

24. 4406

from Oklahoma

Forgot about that one

25. 73super

73super

:eek:

I think that's implied with the Cheech and Chong bobbleheads... ha!

26. rustyhood

rustyhood

Van'in was some good times, I had a 76 short well base full panel Chevy and I did some crazy custom shit inside. 350 auto. Had alot of buddies that knew that van. I sold it, and a buddy of mine told me he embaressed the shit out of the guy that bought it cause he was over hearing the new owner telling the parts counter guy that he did all the work on it. My buddy spoke up and told him the only thing you did was buy it, he made it clear who did all the work on it. Friends....can't take'em nowhere! :D:p

27. ron0257

ron0257

I'm sure I've posted to this thread, but here's one of my 64 A 100 Pickups yesterday, here at work. I'm getting this one up to daily driver status.
    The other one should be on the left.
    [​IMG]

28. 4406

from Oklahoma

Nice truck.

29. A couple of friends of mine had mid to late '60's vans in highschool; there was nothing like it when you would rev it up and dump the clutch going around a corner on what felt like two wheels, then slamming on the brakes and looking at someone face to face in the crosswalk! 'Course that was when we were young and stupid...

30. duke182

duke182

absolutely!
    this is a fact well documented in truckin and minitruckin magizines.
    minitruckin spawned a short lived custom car craze with owners of small import cars. they called them mascots. to start with they utilized all the old customizing tricks, then their focus turned to performance and the custom stuff fell to the wayside much like what happened with ponycars and customs in the late sixties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.