Register now to get rid of these ads!

Title for a 1927 Ford T - Arizona

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by az67goat, Feb 3, 2010.

1. az67goat

az67goat
    from Mesa, AZ

Does anyone have an idea what it might take to get a title for a 1927 frame and body in AZ? Is this possible? I would be building a hot rod out of them of course. Do you get this done after the car is finished or can you get one with just a body and frame. Do these old cars even have VIN's.
    Thank for any info.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's my understanding that Model T's didn't have a VIN# or title. back then they used a registration card and the number assigned was a serial # on the engine block.

I got a Model T registration and researched it. That is how came accross this information.

3. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

thank the lord you live in AZ. go to the DMV with your body and frame, a bill of sale and receipts and they will issue a # and title. you may have to buy a bond. easy process.

4. az67goat

az67goat
    from Mesa, AZ

What is the bond for? What is a bond exactly? How much will the bond cost?
    Thanks again.

5. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I have titled a number of cars in Arizona that fit your category. If you don't have a title, I usually have gone thru an abandoned title process. You need to get an inspection of the frame and body at the MVD office that does the inspections. There's some paperwork that requires the signature of the individual you received it from. Ck out the Az MVD web page or give them a call on the type of process they'll accept in your situation. At a minimum, you'll need to get it inspected for ownership and title. I would do it before you build the car.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  6. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

i have a similar but different situation.
    i have a '58 caddy that has been registered in alabama since day one. in '58, alabama didn't title cars, they just registered them, so this car has no title. i'll be attempting to get the car registered/titled in louisiana as soon as i get he car here (in the shop in tucson still.)
    if anyone has tried this before with louisiana and can give me pointers and an idea of what to expect i would surely appreciate it.
    (yes it's the car in my avatar)

7. 27 T's have a vin. It's on the right frame rail, right where the passengers feet would go. My 27 has it. Dean

8. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

a bond is insurance in case a owner can prove it belongs to him. they get the car or the amount of bond value.
    I do not know how they can make you get a bond when there in vo vin in the first flace, but they do.
    I did not have to get a bond on my model A. I just took it in filled out a form they looked it over. I then got a new vin that they attached to the chassis. I think it was all about $40.

9. Toner283

Toner283

Like somebody said already, title it in your name before you put too much work into it. would suck to finish it & try to title it only to find out that it was listed a a stolen back along the line somewhere & lose it after it is finished. Not very likely on a car that old but it has happened to a few guys with muscle cars & such.

10. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

AZ is really reasonable about this stuff. I moved here from OK. When they check the VIN it came back to a '38 DeSoto. My car is a '32. The inspector was very helpful in working it out and I left with a Title and a VIN plate to pop rivet to my car's body. They will work with you..

11. choppershox

choppershox

Hi. I go through a tow yard. My neighbor owns one here in vegas and runs the car as a lein. It does two things, it go through the police system in 50 states to see if its stolen. Once it is clear they check I believe 9 states and run it in a press publication to state it will be leined. Once its clear they send you a clear title. I think it cost me $250 plus $50 in fees. Its a real bitch if you do not have a title. It would take 4 trips to the dmv, back and forth to satisfy the inspector. It may be expensive for some but worth it to me.. See if anyone of your friends knows a tow yard owner or a certified mechanic. I believe both are a mechanics lein of some sort.... This is through Las Vegas, NV Dmv, AZ may be easier or harder???????

12. I also have had good experiences with Az DMV for the most part. Just don't go there acting like a know it all and cocky. If you are considerate with them and explain the situation, I am sure you will get the title you need. Definately do this now before you do any work on it.

Steve
    Hosting-
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Speedworld Phoenix April 11, 2010
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

13. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

update:
    found out that it's gonna be much easier than i thought. seeing as alabama didn't begin titling cars until around '74-'76, all i need is the most recent registration and a notarized bill of sale, both of which i have. it'll be easier, if not cheaper, than it was to register my d/d. with that i had to get in touch with the lien holder and get a copy of the title, as well as the bike shop i bought it from and get a copy of the bill of sale so louisiana knew how much i paid in sales tax and last, the NADA "blue book" value. it was kind of pain in the ass on that one, a bit pricey, but la has 4 year registrations for bikes so i don't have to worry about it for a while and then it's only about $45 for 4 years after that.