Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1949 Thunderturd.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM, Jan 31, 2010.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Indeed.

2. Choptop

Choptop

the items mentioned before +

the logo, the exhaust coming through the body with a chrome surround, a couple of interior cues (which I dont have pics of).

3. Choptop

Choptop

4. Choptop

Choptop

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Dang, I can barely tell them apart!

6. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I thought about going more toward the Thinderbird motiff. I'm going to back off of the Fender louvers and emblem, T-Bird Rear Bumper, etc...... Besides the Door to Dogleg area, I may weld 'er
    up as is !!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

Voodoo - I am glad someone picked this car up and is going to finish it. I saw it in the classified adds a while back and would have loved to finish this build but it was too far away and I already have too many projects gooing on.

Don't let her stay in storage too long, I am sure everyone here is waiting for the work to begin (or should i say continue) along with updates....

8. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Big Blue :

I had been planning on building one similar to this one; once I saw this project on the HAMB, I said " there is a great project,
    with 1/2 of the work already done. Stay Tuned !!

9. Fastbacks are a different issue. Apples and oranges. But yeah, it is personal taste. My personal taste tells me the Carrozzeria looks too long behind the wheels.

I like that a lot. Like mentioned before, narrowing of the bumper and it would really start coming together. That radiusing really helped take away the slab sided-ness too.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  10. roddinron

roddinron

Thanks, glad you like it. I was actually wondering if anyone makes the rear wheel arches for the thunderbird. You could graft them on for the radius, if you plan it right, you might be able to run tbird skirts if you want a different look. Just a thought

11. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Very interesting! I'll be watching this :)

12. roddinron

roddinron

It's been churning in my mind, so here it is with the t-bird arches and skirts.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and DougO68 like this.
  13. Thats a good look Roddiniron.

And Voodoo, I think you´re right to keep away from any kind of louvres, scoops or other things like that. They wouldn´t be right on a car that came out in 49 anyway. Keep it smooth,c lean and simple.

I love this place. Where else could you argue about this kind of thing?:D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  14. bitchin! keep on posting...

15. joee

joee

Skirts....yes

16. roddinron

roddinron

Hey, I ain't involved in no arguin', I'm just drawin' pittures! I agree about the louvres and scoops too, I'd try to keep it understated.
    The reason I'm interested in this project is that I came across it in the classifieds and it intrigued me. Then a couple days later a friend sent me a link to it, because he thought it had potential, so I forwarded the link to a friend of mine who owns a nice custom shoebox. He answered my email with one word,-----------------yuck! So I guess it just goes to show ya, 2 out of 3 guys think this project is pretty cool.:D

17. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I'm not a Skirt kinda guy. The only Skirts will be the ones that I take off the Harlots who ride in the car ! ! ! Keep the ideas coming ( at least 2 out of 3 of ya). !!

Thanks,
    VOODOO.

18. Heo

Heo

begins to look nice but skip the skirts

19. roddinron

roddinron

Gotcha, I'm just saying, they can be an option for a pretty dramatic change if you use the Tbird arches.

20. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Roddin Ron - I love the skirts on the car in your avatar !!!

21. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

See the announcement for Gene Winfield - Syracuse NY Metal Working Seminar.

22. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Just getting started on the Thunderturd project. Spent all afternoon Sunday getting ready to reset the steering wheel, etc.
    Disassembled the Original Frt. Seat and removed the "Coil Springs". If I didn't take out the seat coil springs, I'd have to cut a hole in the roof and stick my head out of the hole (like a
    Ed Roth cartoon). I forgot the camera, so I'll have to take some
    pix outside to show where I'm at now with the project. Many people have stopped by and are stoked by this project.
    That's it for now.
    VOODOO R&C.

23. kookee

kookee

I really like it. I would agree with the suggestions made. Clean up the door and bumpers.
    Bumpers need to be more thin. Wonder what split bumpers in the front/rear would look like with exhaust ports coming from the rear just inside of the rear split bumper. I think it would flow with the european sports car look.

What type of powerplant? Y-block was mentioned?

Looking forward to seeing more!

24. stance is going to be a make it or break it for this car..

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

Great I too was hoping for an update soon!

26. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

I wonder what it would look like with '50 Lincoln Cosmopolitan front fender trim/flares.

27. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Just closed up the shop. I agree and was looking at the Doors and Bumpers tonight. Unfortunately, I don't want to move the whole body around, so I was looking at squaring the Door backs
    up as much as possible. The Door will end up closing like some of the SUV's wherein the Door is a part of the wheelopening. I am
    also looking for thinner bumpers. I took apart the seat back and will have to cut 7" out otf the height. I am utilizing the Factory Front Seat (modified to fit). I again forgot my Camera tonight !!
    Too much stuff on my Plate and not a large enough Brain !!
    I plan on running the stock Flathead and 3 speed. I'll have to make a "drop box" set up to make the steering work. The section
    (4") is the height I'll have to make the "drop box". By drop box I
    mean like one of the "steer clear" boxes that Speedway sells. This one will have to be custom made for a 4" drop. 3 gears, and a case should do the trick. I will post photos by weeks end (promise !!). Time for a cold one !!

28. buster6972

buster6972
    from Florida

come on dude you are building a thundturd with out an opera window;). No but really that thing is gonna be tight. Love the idea with the door about making it suv style

29. knotheads

knotheads

i agree with some of the others ,the rear line of the door needs to continue straight down with no curve for the rear wheelwell. i can also picture this car with a convertible top .

30. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Knotheads:
    My original idea was to make this car with a convertible. I found this project 1/2 done and decided to run with the coupe for this
    go round. I have located another 4 Door and am drawing up a convert. build after this one is up & running.