Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eddie Miller Lakester Chassis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Feb 3, 2010.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright, this weekend I saw the Eddie Miller Lakester in person for the first time and I have to say I'm completely FLOORED! That is seriously the coolest little car I've seen in a long time.

I saw a few other thread started here about the car, noticed there wasn't much on the chassis construction itself. Does anyone have any more information and/or pictures of the chassis without the skin on? I think I see what's going on up front with the spring under the straigt axle also, but some more details on that would be neat also. Would love to see some more pictures of the controls as well.

Seriously amazing!!

Here's the other threads:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362484&highlight=eddie+miller
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301908&highlight=eddie+miller
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45580&highlight=eddie+miller

Here's what I saw at GNRS...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crapshoot

crapshoot

that is bad ass

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Such a great looking car. It's a shame that it was never very effective in competition.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wonder why that was. It seems that for the period the shape would have been conducive to racing on the lakes. It had to have been a mixture of tuning and gearing for a car like this not to have taken some records right???

This image makes my pants tight.....well not really all that tight as I am Polish sooooo....
    [​IMG]

5. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

It's a shame the car was outdated by the time it could compete. I've loved this car for years. It kills me that I couldn't see it in person at the GNRS this year.

Hop Up X has a great feature on this car as well as a look into the history behind it. They even include original build pics!

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think you're right, together with the fact that the Pontiac 6 was a questionable basis for a competition engine. The engineering and aerodynamics are waaay above average for the period, but the engine is kind of a stone.

7. May pay to contact Jim Miller of the AHRF, Eddie Miller Jnr was his dad.

8. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Great idea! Here's the image search results for Eddie Miller on AHRF.org

http://www.ahrf.com/search.php?page=1&type=image&keyword=eddie miller

There's not much, but there's a few really cool photos of the car. Check out the initial mockup pic with four wheels and some wood.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man! Holy crap!! I just gained even MORE appreciation for it!!! :eek::eek:

Going to check out the Hop UP X...

10. Fogger

Fogger

IMO that car is Hot Rodding. Built by people with incredible talent and engineering ability with the purpose of going fast. I saw it at the GNRS and couldn't find a bad angle. Seeing the old Bonneville and drag cars is one or the reasons that I love that show. I feel very fortunate to have seen the Miller car in person.

11. customcory

customcory

I heard that Mr. Miller kept the driveline "mild" because he didn't want to see his son get hurt on the lake beds, maybe that is why it wasn't as competitive. I don't know where I heard this info.:D

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What a great looking little car... Thanks for the photos, Scott!

Malcolm

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I see it did eventually run on the lakes. Did this car ever run any other events? It mentioned in the article that it was AAA speced to run events like Pikes Peak. In fact, is there a list of events for this car ANYWHERE??

Also still trying to figure out the transmission and drive assembly. Says it used a '29-A transmission. Is that as in 1929 Model A transmission??? I don't see much of anything for gears in there.

Bluto posted some pictures, as did someone else, on one of the older threads and the pictures are no longer there. Anyone have them??

Man... why can't we have cool stuff like this on the STREET!!!? HAHA! :D:D

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Interesting car. I'm continually amazed at the engineering and level of construction of cars from this era. These guys didn't have the capitol or education to build at this level but turned out car after car that continued to stretch the envelope.

Frank

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Great looking car, makes me wonder did they use pre-war styling idea's for the aero.

Auto-union

[​IMG]

16. doctorZ

doctorZ

that home made quickchange/ rear suspension is the coolest damn thing i have ever seen!!!! i want to build one!

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So... anymore info on its running history?

Anyone?

18. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I have some pictures of it in a trailer at the LA Roadsters show a few years ago, right after they found it.

Nothing of the inside though and I don't think they ever pulled it out of the trailer at the show. These pictures are better.

I think one of the articles I read said that they had drivetrain issues which limited speed. So maybe the 29-A trans and that funky-quicky weren't such a good choice. ;)

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, thought that was sort of a strange choice behind that Pontiac.

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright, gonna' bump this up one more time.

21. Cshabang

Cshabang

someone has to have something..haha

22. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Here are some pics I took at the Rod Riders get together last year at the Ferguson's shop. They have owned the Miller car probably since the 50s. Don Ferguson Sr. would buy old race cars that people were getting rid of, like the So Cal coupe and lakester! Regretfully I did not take any good pics of the rear end as Miller built it and I think the transmission was incorporated into the quick change. The engine was a Pontiac straight flathead six and Eddie made all of the speed parts himself. They guy would and could make almost anything. When Stu Hilborn crashed his little "streamliner" back in 48 it was Eddie Miller that fixed it .

Neat stuff!!!

Rex

Attached Files:

23. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I'm thinking I saw it at Lions one of the 2 or 3 times I went there -- probably in '58. Seems like Arfons Green Monster Ranger(?) ran a 3-carb. Chevy gas dragster (Gary Gabelich?) and lost. And the streamliner was there -- but I don't think it ran. Long time ago . . .

24. flyin-t

flyin-t

Here's some for you Scoot I took when the car was just starting it's restoration. This was maybe 10-12 years ago.

25. Don Ferguson Sr acquired the Miller Lakester from Terry Baldwin in the 70s Terry had bought the lakester from Mick Dees.

The Hilborn crash was in '47.

26. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Was it Mick Dees or Mark Dees??

Rex

27. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

28. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Rod Riders annual get together is Feb. 26 at Ferguson's shop, see you there?

Rex

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, but I got to thinking about this... I think it might be by invetation only. What's the scoop? Shoot me a PM when you get a chance!

30. wheelbilly

wheelbilly

If I'd have caught this earlier I would have asked some of the historical questions yesterday. I'll see what I can find out at the meeting on Tuesday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a few more for giggles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]