Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1949 Thunderturd.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM, Jan 31, 2010.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've been a fan of shoeboxes since they were current models. I built my version of an ideal shoebox, but yours is a genuinely interesting variation on the theme. I'll be watching your project with interest.

This is mine:
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and DougO68 like this.
  2. Just an idea for the grille. Looks a little like a Mercedes 300SL for some reason. I suppose there are worse cars to look like!

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW, I like the direction that your taking your '49. It will make a kool
    concept kustom...Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Happy Trails,

Mick

4. Seen this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I had an old 50's custom that was a similar concept and also made out of a shoebox ford...

Attached Files:

6. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

James D. has some really good ideas. Cool 57, yes I've seen this car. NICE for a late model prototype.

7. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

O.HOVE - I live near Watkins Glen and am very familiar with the name Briggs Cunningham. Thanks for the info. I'll do some research on his build.

8. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

Unsolicited opinion, feel free to ignore: put a windsheild out of something else (early 'vette?)in the rear to narrow the sail panels, move rear wheels back (like stated earlier) much closer to bumper, radius rear wheel-wells, don't lower too much to help it retain that European look it's got going on. It's going really have a coachwork look to it if it's done correctly. Now get off of the computer, you've got your work cut out for you! ;)

9. Balance is everything on a project like this. Doors might need to be sectioned and rear wheel location moved to keep everything pleasing to the eye.

10. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I really appreciate all of your feedback.

11. roddinron

roddinron

I moved the wheels back a bit.
    [​IMG]

12. Interesting to see that, but IMHO that doesn´t actually look any better than before - just different. And it´d be a load of work!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  13. I think it's a step in the right direction. Like I mentioned on page one, I think the rear wheels are too far forward. Looks like an altered wheelbase A/FX car. Too much overhang behind the rear well. Maybe another 4" back or so. The cab of the car needs to sit more between the wheel wells, not on top of it. The sail panels flow at an angle that should dictate the rear wheel placement to some extent.

14. joee

joee

i think the bumper over rides take away from the smooth look.....maybe a set of stock style skirts.....good to go...looks great !!!!

15. Carrozzeria Touring of Milan thinks you´re wrong. :D

[​IMG]

But of course it´s all down to personal taste in the end.:)
    I think if we had a perfect side on view it would look a lot different too.

16. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

ooooo...Ferrari style wires with knock-offs!

And slimmer bumpers, like this:

[​IMG]

17. rodknocker

rodknocker

Stay motivated and don't be puttin this back on c-list!!!!

18. Aaaah... the Volvo P1800, maybe the only truly beautiful Volvo that's been built. Always wanted one of those with a smallblock built for high revs (instead of the insanely boring 2 litre stock I-4).

19. roddinron

roddinron

I agree with James D that moving the wheels back would be a lot of work, and it's up to the builder of course, but personally, I think it looks more balanced and it makes the door fit. I lowered the back a little here and thought I'd try radiusing the fender some, and cleaned up the bumper. I meant to save a copy after lowering but before the radius, but forgot. I'm not nearly as good at this as James D, but here it is.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and DougO68 like this.
  20. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Looking better. I, too, think moving the rear wheels back another four inches wouldn't hurt. And as for bumpers, how about just all-smooth, '49 Ford car-only bumpers front and rear, bolts shaved and no overriders?

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It does look European. Nice lines. I vote for the moved back wheel openings.

Brian

Just went back and looked again at your driveway photos. Definately, the car looks better with the rear wheels pushed back and the "dog leg" gone from the rear edge of the door. Yeah, moving the axle back is a little bit of a pain, but the difference in proportion is HUGE. Thin bumpers, yes.

Nice work.

Brian

chryslerfan55 and ffr1222k like this.
  22. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i suck at photoshop, maybe someone can put a smaller back window in it, some portholes on the sides and maybe corvette split rear bumpers on it? just a thought.

23. I really want to see a straight on side view. I think the back end is perfect where it is, but that three quarter photo is making things look a bit off.

24. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

VOODOO...you have that backwards. just blowup the freaking RATROD! HA! and NO i'am not kidding...POP.

25. Choptop

Choptop

also consider the Ferrari that Enzo gave to Henry Ford II

I'll dig up the pictures of it.. .Ford placed it in the design studio and tasked they designers to make a Ford version of the car. Many of the Thunderbird styling cues are DIRECT rip-offs from the Ferrari...

26. Choptop

Choptop

Here it is. Formerly owned by Henry Ford II. Quite a few styling cues made it onto the T-Bird.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Thats very cool - no Ferrari badges though!

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

What, for example? The only similarity I see is in the overall size.

29. Egg crate grille, round taillights, that swage line high up on the side of the body, hood scoop, general overall proportions. Aside from that, nothing much.

30. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

WOW, My brain matter is spinning !!! I fully intend on sectioning the stock bumpers. Maybe take an inch out of the center, get rid of the Guards, and Fill the Bolts. I will have to take some shots of the full side after Winter. The ol' Girl is packed away in a Barn until Spring. I agree that the Dog Leg area could stand to be altered. Incorporating the dog leg into the rear of the Door isn't
    very visually appealing. I will most likely leave the "nose" in its
    current form because I always liked the look of the 1949 Bullet nose. The original shortening should have been about 4" less.
    That way, the Door could be rounded in back and the dog leg area straight where it meets the Door. I really appreciate the
    feedback and am surprised at the amount of interest in the
    Thunderturd. !!! Thanks to all.
    VOODOO.