Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford flathead Intake differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 13, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Is there a significant difference between 37-48 & 49-53 intake manifolds? I'm assuming that an earlier one will not work on the later 8BA?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Crankcase ventilation is different on the two engines. Later (48 & up Truck and 49 & lup car) used a road draft tube instead of a vent on the pan. You could install a PCV setup and use the later manifold and block off the road draft tube.

Jim

3. flatjack

flatjack

You can put an early intake on a later engine, but you must use the early fuel pump stand and fuel pump. There is a breather with that set up. Probably not perfect , but it will work. There are also more bolts on the early manifold, so you'll have several empty holes.

4. What I'm looking at is putting an early intake on a '51 8BA

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another difference not mentioned yet is the carb mounting pad angle. Early engines sat level in the chassis, so the carb bases were flat or parrellel to the block, while late engines are angled down in the rear with about a 3 degree tilt, so the carb bases are tilted to the front to level the carb. Some aftermarket intakes have both styles or designs, while others, like Navarro, have most/all bases flat or level. Using a late-style tilted intake on an engine sitting level results in the carb(s) angled forward and looking somewhat odd; using an early intake on a '49-'53 car results in the carb(s) angled to the rear. Vehicle chassis angle plays into this also. My '32 in the picture has the engine angled almost 5 drgrees, but the car is raked over 3 degrees, so the engine and Navarro flat intake sit with less than 2 degrees tilt. Just sompin' more to think about when choosing a flathead intake.
    Bob

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  6. flatoz

flatoz

The Bolt thing is not entirely true

count the intake mounting holes on this 8BA motor it has 10 a side as per the early blocks.

[​IMG]

7. All good information guys, I never thought about half of those things.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Also fuel pump pushrods, mounting pads, and stands are different lenghts too

9. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Man, i'm seriously drooling over that block. Tasty indeed.
    Doc.

10. I know the pump pushrod, but what's the mounting pad & stand?

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Stands are different heights, and i belive the pad where it bolt into is too

12. Do you have any at your house I can look at?

13. flatoz

flatoz

the generator mounting pad on the intake too, when I ran a 34 or 36 intake on my 8BA I had to make some plates to space the generator out to line up with the water pump pulleys.

14. But you still used the stock 8BA mount, or one from an earlier motor?

15. flatoz

flatoz

I was using an 8BA generator mount as that was what I had with the 8ba motor, but early intake.

16. The tube in the valve chest to the road draft tube sticks up above the manifold deck on the block. I ground the inside of the manifold a bit so it would sit flat and still allow the crankcase ventilation when I planned an early style Edlebrock 2 deuce on an 8BA. I drilled and tapped a hole in the manifold for a 3/8 npt to 3/8 tube next to the vent tube area to which I added hose, a pcv and another length of hose to the air cleaner base. Without some ventilation, I think you'll get oil blowing out the vent in the oil pan on the 59 block. Then I decided on the 4 bbl and new 8BA manifold and the sedan is happy with that.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I have a couple, i dont know if i have both types of fuel pump stands dug out though

18. flatoz

flatoz

19. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA