Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Let me guess who Mr Watusi is.....Jimmy C. ?

Tom Pauser was usually pretty quiet but when I did speak with him he was a class act. He was right up there with Ray Allen in driving ability. Ralph always would compare anyone's driving ability to one of those two.....His Corvette was a stock color I believe...

My good friend, Jay Kalmus raced in Street Eliminator so we always had our eye on the various cars running the /SP classes. There were numerous killers that raced those Corvette's and the Cobra's. The Cobra's were the most feared around here. Ed Hedrick, Bruce Larson are 2 that come to mind. A small block could run about 3 classes by changing induction. The big blocks were silly fast....and they generally took it easy on the gear changes to keep from breaking stuff.

That old movie clip is good.....I enjoy seeing those.......

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Travis
    You probley dont remember me bit I was Marty's helper from 62 to 68.
    My job was underneath the car guy.

old-old timer

3. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I think someone mentioned this car somewhere along this thread. A special thanks to Bill Truby for the pic!

Attached Files:

4. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

[Willard's 55 but I'll be darned if I can find it. I will post it when it turns up. Here's his Olds from the Smother's Brothers deal.[/QUOTE]

anyone remember Wiillard Wright's '65 Biscayne 396/325 '65 Chevy @SS/LA circa 1972 ???

5. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

THERE IT IS !!!...lol...Thanks for the replies and info fellas...been away from here a week or 2 (my email notifications bailed on me, and I forgot I joined...LOL)...great stuff Tony J and WC !!!....CB

6. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here are a group of pictures of the second John Barkley 1957 Chevy 210. This cover John, Gene Wheeler "Tuff Texan Two, and what it became as a restored car.

Attached Files:

7. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

This is the last picture of the car after it was restored in Alabama.

Attached Files:

8. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

complete with one piece front bumper...THANKS for sharing Tony...great stuff !!!...CB

9. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

10. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Sorry but in the early half of that time frame I was still in high school. Also back then a lot of racers including myself stayed in their local area racing because there were usually several tracks within a reasonable driving distance. I first went to the Nationals at Indy in 1966 strictly as a spectator. I did not get to meet Marty until 1970 when I became the Stock/SS techman at Ohio Valley Raceway. He sort of took me under his wing and taught me the NHRA ways of Stock and SS. It was sure different than my first year teching in 1969 at an outlaw track.

What I do remember is Marty telling me the story of the time he had one of his techmen initial the bottom of a racecar to make sure the car was not switched with another after it was teched. I believe he said it was one of the original Ramcharger team cars. Do you know anything about that?

11. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

He sold the corvette and then bought John's car in March of 1971

12. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

That's what I thought...That's Donnie Beeler...did you tell him NOT to have that manifold on at the next race ???...LOL...CB

13. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

anyone remember Wiillard Wright's '65 Biscayne 396/325 '65 Chevy @SS/LA circa 1972 ???[/QUOTE]

Willard dusted my butt in the semi for SS/LA class at Indy in '72. There were three cars left, Willard, Bernie Agaman, and me. Willard outran me by about .12 and he had Bernie covered as well but he red-lit in the class final. Bernie won the class and then was runner-up in Super Stock Eliminator to John Lingenfelter on Monday.

As I remember it, Willard could run mid-to-low 11.90s and Bernie and I both ran something close to the record (12.06?) in the semi.

c

14. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

guy just contacted me today about the RAY FARO E/SA pics I have from Dragway 42 @ 1969...he bought the car from a salvage dealer here in Akron @ 4 years ago and has restored it to the original paint/lettering it had when I saw it as a 15 year old...pretty wild...has 000054 miles on the odometer...

15. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

pics didn't upload correctly...take II...

Attached Files:

16. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

I was there in the stands that day and remember those class elims like it was last week Chuck...and seeing Agaman mow em down until the semis in his brown '69 camaro...JL and Heywood Register running it off for the SS/NA trophy was door-handle-to-doorhandle...both went @ 12.16 if I remember correctly,,,vivid recall from that weekend...

OH...speaking of tech...1st time I went to INDY, in 1970, I see Bobby Warren's K/S Chevelle on the trailer in a motel parking lot...1st thing I look at is the few pounds of LOOSE white carolina sand in the back seat floor, where your feet go...probably 5 lbs on each side...LOL...true...CB

17. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

Tom Pauser's Vette was Lyndale blue a factory color. An awesome car that would just squat and go. One of my favorites.
    Ken

18. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Travis I know that story but it wasn't me. I was getting to well knowed by then
    so the big boys had someone watching me. But I caught a few big boys in my day.
    I used to have a magnet in each front pocket and caught a lot of Alum. and fiberglass
    parts. I dont remember who it was East Coast 1961 Pontiac had 1962 alum core support, inner fenders, front lower panel. But I missed Royal Pontiac's alum doors
    and deck lid? I do remember how mad when Arnie was dq on overbore at 1961
    Nationals. The engine was still hot! .061 over. 058 or 059 cold. Of course Farmer would not recheck. He said if Arnie knew it was close he should had cooled it!!!

old-old timer

19. Alaskam5

Alaskam5
    from Alaska

Think you are half right. The name Jeff Poole rings a bell

20. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Beautiful car, glad to see it restored to its racing trim rather than back to factory. Thanks for sharing the pics!

21. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Here's a few class cars from Harrison County.

Dale Meer's 426 Max Wedge wagon vs Jesse Ballew's Corvette
    [​IMG]

Jesse Ballew's Modified Corvette
    [​IMG]

Steve Barnes' B/MP '55 Chevy
    [​IMG]

22. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Ken I surely remember your green wagon and it was super nice for that era. I know you also won races with it and did very well. We did not race for very long with our sedan delivery and did not travel that much. I keep hoping someone will have a picture of it as I have none.

I found a picture of a Lyndale Blue Corvette that looks like Tom Pausers to me. I thought the color was little more of a shade of grey though...Hey it's been 40+ years !!! You are right those cars just squated and were gone. Any car that went in the 10's or 11's was real fast back then.....I can't recall what ET's Tom ran but I'm thinkin low 11's...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  23. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

This morning I discovered some negatives of photos I had taken at Delmar in 1970, Alex Jarrell receiving his points award from track owner Bill Cathell and Geroge Cureton making an early run in his newly acquired, from Bobby Warren, Nova.

Attached Files:

24. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Could this pic be taken at Indy? If it is, that sure looks a helluva like MY camper/tow truck in the background? Probably 68 if Grump still owned that Nova? Could have been a subsequent owner in 69 or 70? Cant figure out why Grump would have such a GREAT pit spot - NOT -!! Anyone else have a clue?

25. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

KY-ian -
    I was in Army Ft Knox in 64-65 and raced my street car at Ohio Valley and Lebanon Junction. Thought it was a "rea' gas" up there on top that mountain at old LBJ!! The names of Buddy Criscoe and Sherill Huff come to mind as GOOD racers back then. Dont recall any others other than a good running 55 chev stocker from the area. Age has taken my memory --- if you say a few of those 55 chev guys - i will remember?

26. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Cool pix, CB! Thanks for posting. Yes, I agree, the decision to restore the car in its "as raced" paint scheme is the way to go!

Just one question: is that the original paint (color)? I don't recall ever seeing a white '69 GTO Judge.

Later,

Pete

27. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I'm not sure. It was given to me by an old trucker who went to alot of races when he was out on the road. I will ask him when I see him again.

28. colesy

colesy

Indy 1968 judging from the car number and Grump's Nova. They were running in SS/EA. Here's T&M in the staging lanes............

Attached Files:

29. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

thanks for the memorys guys, we ran a N/S 1954 chevy called the stove bolt at island dragway, great meadows NJ. broke the record by .5 seconds 17.4 to a 16.9 but couldn't back it up. old george can still make a stick sound like a automatic.

30. henley

henley
    from oh

Hi Guys I currently own the 69 Faro Judge. It was raced in late 69 and early 70 as seen in the pic and in the summer of 70 the sides were painted red. If anyone else has any pics I would appreciate them as well. Thanks Chuck