Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Thanks to all of those who attended 2010 SUEDE PALACE ~ HISTORY OF RACE CAR @ GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Feb 1, 2010.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Hey everyone, Just wanted to thank all of those who supported the 2010 Grand National Roadster Show - specifically the Suede Palace & History of the Race Car buildings. It was a tremendous undertaking and took approx. 6 months to prepare/organize but i'd like to think that we pulled it off.

A special thanks MUST go out to my wife Celeste - for without her, none of this would be possible.

Ryan Cochran - for doing another Hamb/Jalopy Journal AMBR award. It was great hangin out with ya dude !

John & Annika Buck,Tom Thibidoux, Jim Palmer.

Clive from Stromberg

Fabian Valdez & Jared Kays - for assisting me at doing a few projects while i built my wife a Kustom 54 Vicky ( "One Mint Julep" ) in 30 days. ( all while organizing these 2 buildings)

Miguel from the Lifters

* And a very special THANK YOU to the following car clubs/business' for making such amazing and elaborate trophies !

GEARHEADS
    REELERS
    ROAD DEVILS
    BEATNIKS
    STRAYS
    EMPERORS
    THROTTLE KINGS
    ACME SPEED SHOP
    HOODFELLAS
    LOS REYES
    ALEX GAMBINO ~ GAMBINO KUSTOMS
    KING OF KNIGHTS
    ACES
    AUTO BUTCHERS
    CAR KULTURE DELUXE / MAX GRUNDY
    ALAN JOHNSON
    KINGSMEN
    BEAN BANDITS RACE TEAM
    CAVALIERS

Some of my personal high lights:

Watching all of the Race cars driving in to building #9 on move in night !
    The Race Car ceremony on Thursday night, having John Buck get on the microphone and say "Gentlemen , start your engines" , then having my sound tech guy turn on the sounds of Indy,Nascar, Bonneville, and Drag Racing through the entire speaker system.
    All the bands that played.
    The award ceremony inside the Suede Palace and all of the camaraderie between the car clubs.
    And watching my wife win "Best choice of color" award by renowned Pinstriper Alan Johnson.

SHIFTERS AWARDS:

Best Hot Rod ~ Logan Davis from the Reelers car club - 1928 Ford roadster with 32 Chevy hood sides.

Best Kustom ~ Johnny Jarzen from the Road Devils - 1954 Lincoln

BEST OF SHOW ~ Richard Lacy from the Pasadena Roadster club - 1934 Ford Roadster - 48 Merc Flatty, 39 Trans,Banjo rear.

Once again, Thanks very much, Axle

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

It was a great show and the Suede Palace was really well done. The History of Race building was the best single building of cars on the planet. I wish I was still there.

3. Cal-Paul

Cal-Paul

I had a great time Axle,Thank you and Thank you Strays CC and Los Reyes CC for the awards. I was really stoked!!!

4. 53chevy

53chevy

Alxe, The History of Race Car bldg was Awesome. to say the least. That motor surround sound on the speaker system was brilliant. Everything to sooth your appetite. Those two Pontiac's were highlights, along with the Stones, Woods, Cook Willy, etc....I went Fri. and spent 6 hrs. Congrats on a job well done and those involved. Also, hearing the cool stories from the older gents in that bldg too!

Ken

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Great show. My wife and I spent all our time at the Historic Race Car building and Suede Palace.

6. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Axle ..Thanks for a great show in both buildings

7. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Great show...the Historic Race Car building was worth the price of admission itself!
    Thanks again!

8. Ramblux

Ramblux

The wife and I had a great time. I had to smile when, upon returning to the Palace for the second time, my wife said, "Why the hell did we even bother going into any of the other buildings?"

Can't wait for next year!

9. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Axle & Celeste!
    You guys are the greatest! I sure hope people know how hard you & your wife work for us car nutts! Wow what a show! Thanks for letting us bring the Orange Plus Willys (Kiwi Kevs Ex Gasser!) It was a hit & was in great Willys Company! Also Kiwi Kev & orig builder Dave McDannel Showed up & we had a great reunion! Also Thank John Buck for me for the killer jacket! See yah soon! Bill Fowler

10. autobilly

autobilly

Congrat's on such a huge success! What with the Merc's last year and the Race Cars this year, it's gonna be hard to top for next year.

11. Thank you and you wife for all your hard work..Unfortunately I was not able to attend,But thanks also for every one that posted photos here on the HAMB.Next best thing to being there.

12. TV

TV

Thank you Axle.--TV

13. CruZer

CruZer

Axel, This was a trip of a lifetime for me and the Suede palace and race cars were the best part.
    A very big THANK YOU from Mass.

14. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Axel, thanks for all your effort and work. My last GNRS for awhile was the best ever and the Race Car building and Suede Palace were the highlights for me and my wife. Having talked to Tom and Fabian about the effort involved all I can say is BRAVO man!

15. 21stud

21stud
    from California

Thanks Axle,Celeste, and the Shifters for having us. It was a honor ,and a blast !!!

Reelers CC = Real Cars , Real Hot Rodders

16. Wish I could have been there just for those two buildings!

17. michael_cini

michael_cini

The Suede Palace is my fave. Thank you!

18. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Good Job man, Sorry I missed you.

19. jasone

jasone

Big props to Axle and Celeste for putting on another killer Suede Palace. Thanks again for including the Road Devils again this year, it truly is appreciated and we are very honored to participate.

20. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

Another great show - the Race Car building was amazing. Thanks - i know it's a lot of work to make this stuff happen.

21. Chuck R

Chuck R

Axle,
    Fantastic group of cars in the suede palace. Many incredible cars. Race room was also way cool. Those 2 buildings stole the show.
    Thanks for all your work
    chuck

22. SICBOY

SICBOY

I had a blast at this show, first time for me and wife, the suede palace was awesome

23. Credit to you sir, great to see people 'aiming high', and kicking butt, great result which will be hard to top next time round.

Cheers,

Drewfus

24. Richard (EV8G)

Richard (EV8G)

Axle: This was my first time attending the GNRS, even though I live about 5 minutes away in La Verne. I want to thank you again for inviting the Pasadena Roadster Club to
    your party in the Palace. My expectations were to give our Club some exposure for our
    history and the PRC Reliability Run. It never entered my mind that I was there to win any kind of award. Right after we arrived on Thursday morning and you and Celeste told
    us about the trophies to be awarded by the various Clubs, I (jokingly) told Celeste that I
    wanted to win "worst of show" given the condition of my car's (old/patina - used to be
    called something else in the old days...) paint. I am pretty sure that alot of people were
    very surprised that the BIS award went to my car - but nobody was more surprised than
    I was!!! I was tipped off that I needed to be there for the awards, but I thought Celeste
    probably was going to somehow grant my request... but when all of the awards had been given except the BIS, I actually thought that I really didn't need to be there, that
    nothing was going to happen... then I thought surely I was NOT going to win BIS... but
    then my name WAS called and it absolutely blew me away! I have never before entered
    any of my cars in any kind of judging event that I know of. I am sure that there were
    MANY other cars that more deserved the BIS award (and probably alot of people would
    agree???) but nonetheless THANK YOU AND THE SHIFTERS again for the thrill of a
    lifetime. I guess I am "one for one" and ought to quit while I'm ahead?

As for the Suede Palace, it was AWESOME and it is great to see all of the younger people doing their thing. (One of the things they had been doing all day made the awards ceremony really interesting and entertaining... to say I felt a little out of place
    is, well...) I also spent alot of time in the History of Racing building - in my younger
    years (1960's) I saw alot of those cars run at the old San Gabriel dragstrip. It was like
    a Time Machine... What you and your crew accomplished is just totally amazing!!!

On behalf of myself and the Pasadena Roadster Club THANKS AGAIN for a GREAT time.

Richard

25. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Richard, maybe that is exactly why they thought you deserved it. Seems like it to me. Wish I could have been there to enjoy it. Your car looks great to me.

Axle, sorry I missed it this year. Will definitely try to catch it again next year. Even still, thanks for putting in all the hard work so the rest of could enjoy the photos if nothing else.

26. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Paul, you were a crack up Saturday night. Havin a blast is what its all about ;)

27. Aww, it was OK.

Thanks as always, Alex. I only saw ya briefly and only waved at Celeste from across the room. But I always love your parties. Keep on doing them, man.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I hate indoor car shows... that is unless Axle puts them together... Both of your exhibits were world class man.

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Axle..........thanks and please do the race car building again next year. It was a show in itself...a really great show. Doug:)

30. hankcash

hankcash

Both barns were awesome! There were also some rad cars just outside the Suede Palace building. The History of Race building was like a time machine for gearheads... really, really cool man.
    Thanks!

hc