Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turlock swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jokerjason, Jan 13, 2010.

1. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

like mentioned before the weather was tits....alot of parts (prices were kinda high)just not the ones I was looking for...can't believe I only saw three metalflake steering wheels in the whole place and not one of them was gold......

2. highlife31

highlife31
    from salida ca

Great weather I scored a ca 1930 license plate set for $20.... It made my day

3. NealinCA

NealinCA

Your welcome...

We had a great weekend...sold lotsa junk and brought more home. Came out about even on the dollars but hopefully I stepped up in the parts department...or at least it's stuff I can use.

The weather was the best Turlock's had in years.

Neal

4. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

WELL...

My Turlock weekend started out fine on friday morning leaving out about 10:00 am from the Napa area. With the trailer full of heavy parts all was well untill about 8 miles outside of Rio Vista (where all the highway 12 construction is going on) when the axle snapped at the spring mount. My wife and I stayed with the trailer while my parents went and rented a U-haul. We unloaded the trailer into the u-haul and were off to Turlock with my wife and mother leading the way in the durango and my dad and I following in the u-haul.

THEN...

A couple miles form the offramp in Turlock on 99 an out of control driver side swipes the girls in the durango and fucks up the left rear corner and doesnt stop. LUCKLY for us right as we pulled off a CHP shows up and we give them the licence # of the car, he calls it in and they nail the lady a few mile down the road!!!

FINALY...

An hour later we get to the swapmeet and some old coger with a bit of memory loss gets in to it with us about how we are parked in his spots that he "claims" he has had for the past 10 years (they have been ours for the past 3 years, thats funny?). Turned out he was lost and his spots were in a different section.

BUT...

All in all It was a great Turlock and we sold the stuff we really wanted to sell and I found a buch of stuff I needed or my coupe for cheap! I went $22 over bringing home the same amount I took!

5. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

..... Too funny hahaha

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I had an AWESOME time!! First thing I did was complete the sale of an OT car there, then the rest of the day was mine! The weather was perfect and I thought the parts were priced pretty fair!

I scored some random stuff cheap, too!

Paid $25 for a near perfect rust free '54 Chevy rear bumper guard..

$20 for a pair of BLC fog lights with the original BLC bulbs....

Neato Dash insert for $5

Two 12 volt generator voltage regulators and 1955 Chevy fuseblock free from a good-willed gentleman....

My real score I think were a rough but real pair of 1932 frame rails off of an old dirt track Deuce five window. They need lotsa work but they were CHEAP!

I have some random clips from my day there on my webpage if you're interested.

7. I saw 3 blue ones:)

8. NealinCA

NealinCA

[​IMG]

Good for you! My brother dug two of those inserts out of a bucket...and bought the better of the two. He showed me his $5 score and said there was another if I wanted it. We walked back over and the guy said...just sold it 2 minutes ago. Oh well...I didn't need it anyway, just thought it was cool.

Neal

9. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by PRIMERDAVE [​IMG]
    like mentioned before the weather was tits....alot of parts (prices were kinda high)just not the ones I was looking for...can't believe I only saw three metalflake steering wheels in the whole place and not one of them was gold......
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I saw 3 blue ones:)

like I said not one of them was Gold....and I must have missed one of the blue ones...couse I saw two blue and one green one....LOL !

10. chop32

chop32

11. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

nice work!

here are some of the things I found:

Model A frame $100

Complete Model A front end brake drums to wishbone and spring $50

30/31 Model A hood complete $20

Model A rear spring $15

Model A rear spring clamp $1

Hand full of Model A goodies $2

40 ford rear spring $20

383 mopar edelbrock 4V intake with 750 holley carb $30 (then sold the carb for $20)

2 mallory duel point BB mopar distributors (complete like new) one for $10 and the other for $20

Mallory distributor cap (new) $5

Accel distributor cap and rotor (for a distributor I was selling that didnt have one) $5

I was going to buy a bunch of valvecover decals from the "decal guy" but i never found him :(

12. I saw the green one too. Maybe you could have one goldplated ROTFLMAO :)

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

How funny!! We're like sharks... ;)

Any idea what it's actually for? I was thinking a big rig because he had a bunch of other semi stuff around his spot...

14. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

I bought a breakfast burrito..

15. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

It was a great time and the weather was outstanding!
    Went with Strombergs97, got there early and saw a few treasures. Strombergs97 bought
    4 pretty much complete Strombergs..................................then I spotted a really nice
    Tornado/Harrel tripower setup for a flathead.................and he walked away with that too.
    Saw Norman Frick and talked to him for awhile, he had some very nice twin plug and single plug heads for a flathead, also ran into Brian Schmid from Stockton selling his 100's of parts.

Had a great time!

16. bava17

bava17

Great swap! Although it seemed there were more empty spots as usual. For those of you that went for the first time, up until a couple of years ago, you rarely saw any open/empty spaces.

Many buyers on Saturday and Sunday morn. We did the best we have ever done, selling from our "not-so-great" spots over in front of the open-air animal stalls.

This is the first year I didn't buy anything. Well, excepf for a Walker radiator and shroud for a '32 ford grill shell from my brother and a Hurst Muncie shifter from Jimmy from Fresno. My brother did score a pair of sets of Cal Custom SBC finned valve covers. One really nice pair with breathers and one pair painted black. I think that we were so busy in our spots talking to old friends, new friends, HAMBERS and customers that we didn't really have time to do much shopping.

Met Primer Dave, someone from the HAMB named Steve, and Rick (De Soto) from Ojai. I hope everyone had as good a time as we did.

Hey George, yeah, this is me, Steve. I am the guy that was selling the "TURLOCK SWAPMEET" T-shirts. What did you need?

Attached Files:

17. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..Yes, had a great time with A Chopped Coupe. Got lost with a GPS, how do you figure that, then got lost in the parking lot.. I bought 4 really nice Stromberg 97s large logo and a TORNADO 3x2 intake, a few productions befor the HARRELL..As you can see it is beautiful..
    Duane..

Attached Files:

18. MilesM

MilesM

I thought they were good!

19. chop32

chop32

I just really liked the shape...At first it reminded me of a mid '30s Chevy insert, but I think they were more rounded on the top.
    It could very well be big rig.
    Im picturing it in my mind with an engine turned panel inside with a few SW's!

20. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I miss the chili dogs :(

21. What prices were on the flaked wheels? Were they old ones or current? Condition? Just curious

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Talked to a guy Sunday that had bought a green metalflake wheel first thing as a guy was setting up his stufff in like new condition for $40

23. bava17

bava17

ooooo, ahhhhh.
    good call Nick.
    yeah, i too miss the chili dogs and the friggin Frito boats.
    i remember it being so cold and foggy your hands would be shakin while you were eating.

some of the older guys might remember this but the Model A club (they put the swap on) used to give away prizes to vendors.
    i don't know how often they did it, but one year, as a vendor, my grandfather won a completely rebuilt and ready to bolt in Model A 4 banger. It had to be in the late sixties or early seventies. It is the motor in my sportcoupe that i inherited from him.
    there's nothin like Turlock in January.

24. SlamIam

SlamIam

What a great day Saturday, T-shirt weather in January. Sausage sandwiches sold out early. Got a late 31 Model A cowl with a perfect firewall, tank, and steering support $140, lots of Winters QC parts, and an engine for my grandson's minibike.

25. hershambob

hershambob

we met a complete prat who had a bigfoot gas pedal for sale with a price on it that said $30 a mate offered $25 and he went off on one about us insulting his inteligence and that its $75 not $30,wtf,got one later for $20 with the cable,
    was the $5000 model a coupe for real or just a wind up,,it was mint,not surprised it was sold early

26. . It's a SWAP MEET, and people negotiate at a SWAP MEET. ;)

27. bava17

bava17

exactly.
    we leave the Turlock swap every year laughing our collective asses off at the entertainment provided by the buyers and sellers all weekend. also at the end of the weekend every year, we say that we should write it all down because we can never remember it.

we don't take ourselves too seriously so maybe that is the key.

couple of quick notes:
    the cheap prices on decent parts and people would come back two, three, even four times and look at the part and not buy it???
    funny, funny, funny.

a couple of years ago i had a package tray that i had taken out of my '65 galaxie. i was going to just throw it away because i figured "who's going to be looking for a package tray out of a '65 Galaxie?" it was a nice piece and was from my XL500 so it had the radio speaker and was from a clean car. i would have almost given it to someone to really would have used it. i had a gentleman come up and he starts to look it over. he told me exactly what it was. he expressed a few times that it was exactly what he needed and that he had been looking for one for a while. he must have looked at that thing for nearly 20 minutes.
    it didn't have a price (we usually price everything) so when he asked i told him he could have it for a $5 bill (yes, 5 dollars).
    he said he would have to think about it and that he's probably come back later.
    what?
    it's exactly what you need, you've been looking for one, and it's nice and clean and it cost $5 and you aren't going to buy it?
    did you think it was going to be $1?
    maybe he was playing me?
    funny, funny, funny.

this year we had a guy come up to us and ask us:
    "do you guys have a flywheel, clutch and pressure plate for a '92 Ford Ranger?"
    trying to hold back my laughter i squeezed out, "no, i don't think so".
    which he replied, "do you know where i can get one?"
    and i couldn't resist, but my smartass side kicked in and i replied "i think NAPA has a few".
    and it's not like we had ANY new car parts in our two spots. flathead, old axels and wishbones, dropped axels, magnesium wheels, quickchanges, tri-powers, '57 283, etc., etc.
    funny.

anyway, swapmeets are definitely entertaining.
    just try to not get pissy when someone offers you a low dollar figure or won't come down to your price.

i could go on and on.
    steve

28. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I gotta admit, I was one of those back and forth fellows this swapmeet, but only on one thing.

There was a guy selling a pair of '32 rails, he was asking $200 for the pair. I'm sure a few of you saw them. They were ROUGH, they came from an old dirt track '32 so they had the horns hacked off, the ends of a number of welded on rollcage tubes, couple of burn through spots, nasty homemade boxing plates, and the bottom of the passenger side rail had a nasty whang. ROUGH!

I walked the first time thinking "dang, they need a lot of work...", but I came back to check 'em out again. Woo, they needed work!

I walked around some more, but I couldn't stop thinking about them. I know new rails aren't that expensive, but I have this fetish for real old Ford parts, and besides that, these had real racing history!

It came down to me asking myself, "Would I regret not buying those things? Would these become one of the things I'd think about years from now, like the $75 dual quad Mopar big block intake I passed on several years ago?"

So I finally came back a third time, gave him money and went and got my truck.

I'm still happy with my purchase. :)

29. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

Hay guys an after thought. i have been selling there for years i had the best year ever! one of the old timers came up to me and said dam ecomony i aint sold shit. i looked him stright in the eye and told him LOWER YOUR PRICES. thanks to eveyone i talked and sold to jim

30. jokerjason

jokerjason

Me too man. I have been going since 92 and this year I sold the most shit by far!! Everything was priced good and I don't mind dealing with people. JOKER JASON.