Register now to get rid of these ads!

GNRS so who won ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I was hoping that one would as well. I absolutely loved it! Brown worked for that car too. Stunning :cool:

Brown is the new flat black! Did you notice how many brown cars there weer in the entire show??

The whole place was a Mardi Gras theme. :rolleyes:

2. ocfab

ocfab

Did anyone look at the video and look how much BONDO was in that car?
    it's very sad to see what has become of the AMBR award. But if you have street rod judges you get a street rod winner.

3. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Ditto. I hate anything that looks even remotely like a clown.

Doc.

4. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

The really sad thing about the winner is that the display is so over the top in dollars spent, can you imagine what kinda real hot rod could be built with the funds from the display alone. What on earth are these people thinking. I wouldn't call this a "gold chainer" episode, but rather an wasted excercise in spending money.

5. Could not have said it better myself....

6. 19-c

19-c

Maybe it was the Mardi Gras masks and beads that got the judges. It does somewhat resemble a Mardi Gras Float. Were they throwing beads from the roadster to girls that flashed thier boobies?

7. sinticket

sinticket

8. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

I wonder, who's going to be the first to use it for their avatar?

9. Krobe

Krobe

There's nothing about the "winner" that appeals to me. The term "Bling" comes to mind...

10. I quit drugs about 26 years ago. But, if I could get some of what the judges are taking........

11. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Another sad episode in the AMBR award, obviously the word Beautiful is now redundant !!!

12. 1929

from Pomona

That what i was thinking!

13. kookee

kookee

Hrmm. Well I respect the work but the vision is not my cup o' tea. I understand that like all things, tastes vary. This is a big hobby/sport, and I have to respect that everyone will have different tastes and most will not represent my own. I just do not see a soul in most of those street rods. Why buy and spend time/money on an old car that you simply want to make look like a new one?

Like drag racing, big shows and awards are now no longer meant for the common (rational) man/builder. It makes me wonder how long until they are corporate sponsored, not just the show, but the cars.

Lastly, when can we finally see something different? 32 Ford, big wheels, over-smoothed, with a grille that is leaned back to where it could be a snow plow. Is this the GNRS "formula" to win?

14. Big Tony

Big Tony

Much better choice

15. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

That is to bad.
    How to they pick the judges for this show?

16. They chose their roadster and the HAMB chose theirs. Let it go.

17. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Where do cars like that thing go when they finish the show circuit?
    You just never see them again;not even at a BJ auction or ?

Someone made the statement on the forum that hot rods earn their historic value by being driven.They were so right!

18. I walked by it at least once. Never thought enough about that car to even snap a pic. Pretty "generic" show car style to me. I was totally put off by most of the cars with ginormous wheels and rubber band tires. There comes a point when wheel size is just ridiculous and takes away from all the other work done on the car. Oh well overall I enjoyed the show.

19. tinmann

tinmann

Who built it? Who wrote the really big cheque?

20. hemi

hemi

If nothing else, did they not stand back and look at the windshield? Ack!

21. I think they BUY their judgeship. And then SELL their vote to recap some of their money:D

22. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

Perhaps the more knowledgeable here can school me on this level of car building / ownership .

Lets assume this car cost 500,000 to build ( please lets not debate build cost here) . So now that its AMBR, what happens next? Does it become the new poster car for super duper wax brand x? Is its next duty as a marketing piece for something, besides the builder?

I assume the winning of the AMBR is worth a fortune to the builder but ultimately whats in it for the guy who wrote the check? Does he ever realize any significant recouping of his 500,000 investment, assuming the builder is not the owner ?

Realistically, what can you do with a car like this?
    After a couple of years ( ?) of doing the car show circuit, etc, what becomes of a car like this?

Steve

23. WTF! This the winner.:eek:My girlfriend and I saw the this ride and were chuckling under our breath.
    [​IMG]
    America's Most Butt-ugly Roadster[/QUOTE]

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Well ah, it is a roadster and this is America?

25. Realistically, what can you do with a car like this?
    After a couple of years ( ?) of doing the car show circuit, etc, what becomes of a car like this?

Steve[/QUOTE]

Barret Jackson!

26. The show thing/mentality is lost on me. A really good friend of mine spent a bunch of cash doing up a Chevelle and won top paint awards at the first three Autoramas where it was shown, got stolen and recovered, the only damage being scuffed clearcoat from a tarp being thrown over it to hide it. Anyway, the guy dealt with the insurance and eventually got a large enough settlement to build another car, which is what I thought he would do, you know, buff the original one out and drive it. But; they totally redid the car again, this time even more time spent on paint and an interior by one of the famed California upholterers, went on to win more top honors, get in and on magazines, etc. I still shake my head every year at the show, but he is still enjoying basking in the limelight, and it's his money. It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round, and I love 'em all, well most all anyway!

By the way, the HAMB picks are the real winners, RIGHT????

27. GreggAz

GreggAz

the sad thing is that there is no check box on the judging sheet for beauty.

the car with the most points wins, more changes, chrome, gimmicks, more points. Keep the judges 10 feet back, and do not tell them who owns/ built the car, and let them pick the one they like the most. Then it could be based on beauty. Until then, we will have this same drama here every year.

The Auburn is a stunning car, but even from here I can tell it will never win this award with the judging standards the GNRS uses.

28. What was the HAMB pick?

29. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Looks like a morphing of a FACTORY FIVE hotrod, Prowler (as mentioned before) and a Cadillac Escalade.

30. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

What freaking nightmare! That thing is just sooooooooo wrong...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.