Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shades of the Past is moving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 31, 2010.

1. The Shades of the past rod run in the fall will no longer be at the Smoky River Ranch,,it's moving to Dollywood of all places.

I guess this also includes the Deuce Show. HRP

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

well that sucks

3. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Say it ain't so! Dolly has tried to run the car shows out of pigeon forge for years. If so I bet the prices go UP...........

4. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Man that sucks. I guess she'll run it out one way or another......If you charge us we won't come...... This realy bites

5. This is whats on their web site,, HRP

[​IMG]
    <table style="width: 640px;"><tbody><tr> <td class="style5"> [​IMG]It's no longer a rumor! The Run will be moving to DollyWood's Splash Country in 2010! Click on the logo to Splash Country for directions.</td> <td> [​IMG]</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Experience Luxury in the Mountains...
    The Inn at Christmas Place is now the official hotel for the 2010 Run. Check out their site and to make your reservations.

</td> <td> [​IMG]</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" class="style5">Check back soon for more "Shades" Rod Run info. We should have the registration forms up by mid- February. </td></tr></tbody></table>

6. thequietwon

thequietwon

What a depressing bit of info....one of my favorite shows, and I have always liked the location. On the other hand, now I won't have to choose between the Shades show & fall Charlotte Auto fair...
    Sam

7. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Dang it, I was getting pretty good with the back roads out of the show too.

8. ratster

ratster

at least you'll be able to cool off. i don't enter my car anyways

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

No big deal :D
    Shades of the Past has been going DOWNHILL ever since they opened the event up past 64 ( really since they opened it up past 1948 ... but I will TRY to be more polictically correct :mad: ) .

IF they do away with the Deuce show ... I will just stay home. That is the ONLY reason I attend now as it is. With NSRA going to the 30 year slide and all the Vegas, Mustangs and Pintos going to Nats South in Knoxville ... I guess the wife and I will just pick out a different weekend for a little trip to the area.

:)

10. Gator

Gator

We go up there on the weekend of that show (and the spring & fall Grand run) almost every year, but never actually go to the show. We always just cruise around and check out the 7-8 miles of cars parked on the strip. Wonder if that will change any?

We also never stay in Pigeon Forge, always roll on towards the mountains and stay in Gatlinburg.

11. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

One of my favorite things about this show is the fact that you could take the back roads into the show and not have mingle with the tourist on the strip. Now they're movin it right in the middle of the tourist.
    I actually thought the show had improved the last couple of years, but I'm afraid this may kill it.

12. mottsrods

mottsrods

I'm usually a vendor at Shades of the Past, I got the mass email about a month ago about the change of venue. It didn't surprise me as they have outgrown the fairgrounds. The truly crappy thing is it will now be on pavement so it'll be really freakin' hot. I'm not sure if I will return this year though since the economy has tanked, so has the buyers. Most come to look at the cars and don't even bother to come to the swap meet side.

13. squash

squash

Is there enuf room there? I know that they have a ton of parking and all but for real?.......Im agreeing with deuce roadster that show has been since it opened up the only thing i really enjoied was the deuce show.

14. This is gonna break the hearts of all those people (who ARE they anyway?) that get out to the ranch & rope off parking spots 4 days in advance. September in TN is HOT. If I can't pitch an Easy-up, I'll have a hard time getting excited about it.

They must be planning on doing it in the parking lots @ Dollywood. Yuck.

Shit, I don't have a running hot rod anyway. Who cares what I think?

JH

15. Won't change a thing for me. I haven't been inside that show in years. I just hope there isn't a massive clamp down on the strip now. I can't help but wonder if there's a hidden agenda. Guess I should take my aluminum foil hat off now.

16. ratster

ratster

i'm glad they opened it to 64, its a better show now

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Especially ... IF ... you do not have a pre 1949 vehicle :) :)
    The fact is that the registered car count is down by hundreds ... since they opened the show up.
    A lot of " back row only " used cars are now in the event. Time was ... the quality was HIGH. Now there's a LOT of rolling junk piles.

A lot of the later model vehicles ( 1949 and up ) now just show up, hog up the Motel parking lots by camping out on Tuesday or Wedneday. Others just jam up the highways. :eek:

Everyone has the right to their own opinion :)
    This was mine ... ;)
    Yours may differ ... :eek:

18. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

At least it's a bigger venue. The main drag sure can get crowded!

19. ratster

ratster

i have my 27 essex for my pre 48. i drove one of my pre 64s. last time we (our club) went we brought over 20 cars and even a deuce but we wouldn't let him park with all the deuces, to many egos in there.

20. Yeah, sometimes too much emphasis on a trophy can bring the wrong element to a show. I've been a couple times over the years and it can be quite a cluster fuck on the main drag and trying to get in and out of the show. I was getting pretty good navigating the back roads though. Oh well..........

21. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

cluster fuck ? no way, we made a loop from one end of town to the other in a 55 Chevrolet , ( one lap = 3 miles) took only six hours...now is that a cluster fuck?

22. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

pretty simple! just like the new nats,80 and back,i'll go once,if i don't like it i'll stay home.no need for fretting:cool:

23. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

They are a for profit club anyway. Was bound to happen sooner or later with the economy and all. They only make ten bucks off me each year any way. I pay that for admission to the show on Saturday just for the swap meet. The rest of the trip we walk the lots at night and look at the cars when its much cooler. The bad part for my buddy and our wives is the house we rent each year was a half mile from the show.

48 Poncho

24. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I think its a good thing has to be better than the hole they were in might be able to get in to the show .Stll best time you will have if you havent been you dont know what your missing,yes lots of traffic and people but thats all part of it.Worst part is the COPS they are assholes and are running it in the ground and the Merchants had better raise hell with the Asshole running the police dept.If there are any cops here give them a call and tell them to knock off the chicken shit they make you all look bad

25. the-rodster

the-rodster

Sweet!

I'm packing my gold chain and speedos..

[​IMG]

26. JeffCTN

JeffCTN

I would much rather walk around in the grass than asphalt. Oh, well. That property has been for sale for a while. Suppose they finally sold it?

27. Well its going to be interesting for me and the old man we always set up at Shades (big white trailer, lots of signs, junk, speed equipment, license plates, junk, sheet metal, wheels, did I mention junk). Hes not pumped about but we always do better there than the Nats South in Knoxville. Don't get me wrong but I would like to punch Dolly in the mouth. Best thing to do is go and see how good or bad it is.

28. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I thought this was very interesting, I was getting my registration packet and talking to the club member woman and she told me that this was the last time for this location. they were going to make it a dump. on through the day, over the loud speaker, they said it was only rumors...well..guess not. not looking forward to all the asphalt.

29. bbhotrod34

bbhotrod34
    from dalton, ga

why is everone pissed at dolly, she put pigeon forge on the map. if your looking to blame someone, look to the ones that has the most to gain, the deed holder. this has been coming for years. been going to the shades for years, like nsra, they will make it, they don't care if we like it or not. they have a great big bag of cash to make it work.

30. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

It is well known and documented that DOLLY ... and Dollywood management does not like car shows in Pigeon Forge TN. They believe that all the traffic and crowds HURTS attendance @ Dollywood. Folks are going to the car show and hanging around the motels and NOT going to the other attractions. Other attractions and business also believe this.

There have been city meetings about this. NOW that Pigeon Forge is no longer a sleepy little town in the hills ... Pigeon Forge is BUSY most weekend ... WITHOUT car show folks :eek: Pigeon Forge wants FAMILY business ... you know ... Mom, Dad and a bunch of kids. They go to Dollywood and some of the other attractions. Mom shops at all the outlets and the KIDS ( plus Dad ) ride a lot of the rides. Dad may even may a round of golf.

Car show folks do not spent as much $$$ ... in Pigeon Forge ( and Gatlinburg ) per person as the family units do. Plain, pure and simple ( and GREEDY too ).

IF you do not think that Pigeon Forge is NOT busy ... go a few weeks before the car show or a few weeks after. It is just as crowed as car show weekends ... just not with old cars. It is a mini van/ family sedan traffic nightmare :D