Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lookey what I got for a project!! (Hyfire Poly!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wolfhound423, May 10, 2009.

1. Art - Here are the measurements on the head bolts and the main bearing bolts. I also threw in some pics, because a picture is worth a thousand words. Let me know if the measurements are close to 351W equipment.

Head Bolts: "MS" headstamp
    Head - 3/4"
    Overall - 4.88"
    Thread length - 1.25"
    Diameter - 0.445"
    Length (minus head) - 4.53"

Main Bearing Bolts: 3 x "-" headstamp
    Head - 3/4"
    Overall - 3.485"
    Thread length - 1.67"
    Diameter - 0.495"
    Length (minus head) - 3.20"

Attached Files:

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I tend to put togeather strange motors. Packard V8-32 Plymouth, 26 Dodge. I simply cakk ARP and let them look up what they have. I tell them what I need. They very quickly look at what they have and produce a "kit" that fits my needs. Thst's why they have a phone number.

3. 351W bolts;

Main cap bolts----Ten 1/2-13 x 3 1/2"long
    Head bolts--------Ten 1/2-13 x 4"
    Ten 1/2-13 x 2 5/16"

Looks like the main cap bolts would interchange, concur with RichFox about contacting ARP, 800-826-3045

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  4. Art and Rich - I'll call ARP and see what they would be willing to cobble together for me. Thanks for the steer.

Much to my joy, after a long day of interminable work in the salt mine, I came home to a wonderful surprise - Uncle Max had finished my carbs. They are so sexy in their new finish. Truly an artist!!! I had to run out to the garage and grab the Offy intake to mock them up at my desk. Mmmmm. Sooooo Nice! Enjoy!

Attached Files:

5. I love those carbs
    Here are pic's of my carb. setup for my 270 Poly.
    Bob

Attached Files:

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those look GREAT!!

7. Beautiful! For my skill level, one carb is good, two is a challenge, and three... that's just beyond my powers!:eek: What kind of linkage are you running on it? It looks quite solid!

-Pete

8. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

9. 73RR

73RR

While not a 'bad' article, I am sure it is a bit confusing to the non-Chrysler camp. The 301 was NOT stroked to get 331 :eek:, and when it seems to mix info about all of the poly engines in the same bowl it makes it hard to rectify...like the reference about how nice it is that later parts interchange such as crankshafts. No doubt the writer meant LA stuff, but he/they should have written two separate stories. It is hard enough to keep track of the non-LA stuff...:cool:

10. I have to agree with Gary, the article is a little confusing about Early Poly versus the LA models. Still, any exposure is good. The Poly is sorely under rated, in my humble opinion. :p But hey, I'm a relative noob to all this. I do have one question from the article - they make a statement about a Direct Connection ignition module (even show a picture):

"One of the best bargains in performance ignitions is the Mopar Direct Connection electronic ignition kit (distributor and module), and you can bolt one right onto your poly motor-or your vintage Hemi for that matter, with a slightly longer extension."

Is this going to be easier than rebuilding the current dual point system I have for the motor? Is it truly "plug and play" for a '55 Poly motor, or is he mixing his Early/apples and LA/oranges again? Thoughts? If they are the way to go, where would I source one? I did a search on the internet and in a few catalogs I have around, and this was what I found:
    http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/electronic.html

would it be the "P3690428 440 and Hemi conv. Package" (about 1/3 of the way down the page), or something else I'm missing (the "slightly longer extension" they mention)? Thanks...

OK - time to go out in the garage and rebuild an oil pump... the Egge rebuild kit landed this week, and I'm itching to get greasy again!

11. The electronic ignition won't give you any horsepower or torque but will give you a trouble free/maintenance free distributor and a much hotter spark.

12. 73RR

73RR

The correct package is P3690426, for the LA series. Yes, it is a drop in for the 260 and the wiring side of things is very straight forward. They provide a detailed schematic, and if you want to check the wiring beforehand let me know and I'll scan the info and pass it along.

Does the electronic system 'make' power? I believe it could be a measurable factor due to the better spark control (no scatter).

There are numerous sources for the Mopar package including your local dealer, shop around.

13. Thanks guys. Knowing there is an electronic ignition kit that will work on the Hyfire takes a bit of stress out of rebuilding my slightly ratty looking dual point ignition, or having to buy a new one. It's just one less thing to worry about in an already tricky build for a newbie!

14. Wowcars

Wowcars

The coolest part of a cool story.

15. George

George

Y do people call a 259 a 260?:confused:

16. 73RR

73RR

..inflation George, inflation..:D

Gary

17. The linkage is from THE HOT ROD SHOP

18. Probably for the same reason they call the 241 a 240 :D

Mancub and I got a few hours in the garage today to take the oil pump apart. I thought we might have enough time to rebuild it, but the old oil residue (paraffin and sludge) was really clinging on. I got the whole thing disassembled, and he took a few pics of dad - cleaning the threads on the pickup tube, dipping the top of the pump in Mac's, and the old versus new pump assemblies. Interestingly enough, the old pump is clover shaped, and the new one is star shaped. Maybe we'll get it all together tomorrow, after everything comes out of the solvent and gets the gunk blown out of the passages. I figure 150psi of air from the compressor should get any stubborn "klingons" out of there!

Attached Files:

19. 73RR

73RR

Your pics do not show the 'piston' that is likely still stuck in the bore (the spring seats in the backside of the piston).
    You will need to remove it and insure that the bore is clean and the piston od is clean. Holler if you need help.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010

20. Thanks for the tip, Gary. After letting it soak in Macs this morning, and with a little kinetic persuasion (whacking it on the bench), the piston wiggled free and we managed to slide it out of the bore.

The BEvERage fetcher had a soccer game this morning, so we hit it hard this afternoon. After everything got cleaned up, I got the parts laid out and talked him through rebuilding the oil pump. I lent a hand where necessary, and added torque when required, but he managed to put it back together like I showed him. I might make a gear head out of him yet.

Attached Files:

21. Reverend_Jack

Reverend_Jack

Between fetching BEvERages, hanging out and inhaling food at the BBQ's and wrenching on big blue. I'm pretty confident in the next generation of Bishop.

22. I managed to get out to the garage for a little bit today. The BEvERage fetcher helped for a little while, but then crawled back inside. He had a loooong week, and was out past bedtime with his school at the local roller rink. I went to work on the fuel pump, as it seemed like I could get it all apart, cleaned up, and rebuilt in a few hours. I was right. I forgot to take a "before" picture (it was filthy) but got one of the parts all cleaned up, and one of the pump after it was all back together. Mancub and I celebrated rebuilding the pump (and the sunny weather) by taking Blue down to the A&W for some root beer floats. Tomorrow, we have indoor soccer, and a Superbowl Party to attend, so this will be about all we get done this weekend.

Attached Files:

23. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

I hope your going well with the 259 build
    [​IMG]

24. Thanks Von... stuff like that motivates me on the down days. That Super Red Ram is gorgeous! What kind of fuel filter and pressure valve system are you running to the carbs? I'd love some more pics of that setup, if you have them.

Now I get to go TDY to the East Coast for a week and not get diddly squat done on my car. Sigh.

25. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

That Poly's not mine I saw the photo & posted it for inspiration, I am currently running 241 Dodge Red Ram Hemi 3x2 holley 94's on a offy intake using speed shop style washable fuel filter & small magna fuel pressure gauge.

I am also a poly fan & have low deck 259 55 Plymouth's one is set up with hemi heads as this was a popular combination for Bonneville in the fifties & also have hi deck 315 & 325 Dodge's, does any one make Sanderson style block huggers for the Poly engines?

26. does any one make Sanderson style block huggers for the Poly engines?

I made my fender well headers for this 1956 270 ci. Dodge Poly.

Attached Files:

27. 35desoto

35desoto

Don't know about block hugger style headers but the boys over at the 61-71 Dodge truck site make extractors / headers for the poly - they have them in stock already made up

28. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

do they have a web page or email?

29. 73RR

73RR

Once again attention needs to be paid to the two different poly engines.
    The truck guys do have headers, but, they are for the A series engines, not the Hemi based poly.

The Hemi based poly engines (241, 260, 270, 315, 325, 301, 331, 354) share very little with the Plymouth A series engines (277, 301, 303, 313, 318, 326). The 55 Chrysler 301 is not the same as the 57 Ply 301.

30. 35desoto

35desoto

73RR comments are true. The Dodge trucks I am referring to have the 318 poly in them and were produced from 61 to about 66/67 WWW.sweptline.org and see how you go from there. You may have to hit some of ther links to find the seller but they are out there