Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-bucket exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John 79, Jan 28, 2010.

1. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I really like those headers for a 60s style t, I would say get some one piece tail pipes with the collector built-in. The flange takes away from the smooth look of the headers, really nice t-bucket by the way, that color will look awesome with those wheels, on and yup on the dual quads.

Louie

2. Someone here had a set of double two into ones coming off a sbc that looked real clean, anyone got a picture of that ?

3. T BUCKET TERROR

T BUCKET TERROR

Here are some coated sanderson zoomies on my bucket. And a photo of some headers they had out a year or so ago. not in the catalog, i think they called them " shotgun" ..And they said you could get them side by side or over/under.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  4. Gigantor

Gigantor

I always thought the intricate exhaust on Grabowski's T was pretty dang cool...

5. von Dyck

von Dyck

You've got the "look" goin for you on your bucket. Definitely not ram horns - makes the small chevy size look undressed next to the '23 - '25 firewall. The style of 'T' you are working on needs width and "fill-in" along the frame rail. Of course, many rodders from the '50s and early '60s fabbed their own headers and ran their primaries into a collector made from an oil filter cannister. Just one more idea.

6. Phil1934

Phil1934

Attached Files:

7. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

It's your car, and a nice one at that, so absolutely 100% keep it the way you like it. The reason I suggested changing the valve covers is that IMHO they make the motor look too 'square' and since T buckets have a lot of square lines to begin with, sometimes it is good to soften some of them up. I like the idea of dual quads, especially if they are late 60s carbs since that is your target. Perhaps that air cleaner makes the motor look too 80s, though.

I really like that the motor has the oil fill tube on the manifold, so if you can keep that if you switch to dual quads.

Maybe black ignition wires?

Again, not criticizing. Just saying. :)

Where did you mount your temp sensor?

8. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

The pic os old,it was a standart 305 S/B.
    Now i got a 67 327 and the wires ar changed to black,i hated those yellow ones. I bought a standard Edelbrock intake and drilled a hole for the oil fill tube just to get a older look.
    I dont get angry when people say things aboute my bucket,everyone got their own oppinion:)

I got a moon direct mount temp guage thats mounted direct on the intake.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Zoomies in post 33 look the best of anything anyone has posted in the thread. Some of the homemade ones look just too homemade.
    I don't know how much you actually drive the car on the road or if you can drive it on the road there legally but from having a T with pipes that dumped beside me I can say that after a couple of hours on the road they get pretty tiresome.

I wouldn't sell, cut up or throw away the set you have now which are pretty traditional T bucket Headers from way back until I was satisfied with the appearance and being able to put up with the extra exhaust noise of a set of zoomies or other similar pipes.

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

if you are leaving the scoop and valve covers you should leave the headers too

they all match the same style/era

11. I really like your car! I vote for zoomies with baffles. No one has said it yet; what kind of wheels are those? Halibrands? Just perfect on that car.

12. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

The wheels are Cragar Street Pro but i took away the ultra ugly center cap,but sadly they have dual bolt patterns but that is an easy fix with a little work.

]

13. John79,
    honsetly, you give your car alot of undue criticism. its pretty bad ass as is.

if you really wanna get picky, you should lose the coil overs and install a transverse leaf spring.

the wheels are killer, i dig the pipes, the air cleaner, etc. (i would go with some no name finned valve covers, but thats just me).

if you REALLY wanna make a 60's statement, install a tall windshield with rounded corners.

neat bucket.

14. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Thanks!!

Im thinking of swapping the old cilovers for some chromed ones to get a better look.It would match the chromed front end.
    The frame is all home built and kinda square in the back so i think a leaf spring would look wrong.

15. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

It's amazing. Everyone has their own view of what J79s car should be.

For the record, I agree that the wheels are perfect. So are the rear slicks but as I previously mentioned the front tire is a little too fat.

The rear coilovers are no problem. Perhaps consider losing the Harley bullet lights and replace the tailights with something more elongated, like early Chevy lights. With tungsten filament bulbs; no LEDs.

The only place your car gets confused is up front. You start out with 50s in the grill and lights, 60s with the motor, 70s with the exhaust and valve covers and then wrap it all up with an 80s scoop and carb. Maybe you can span two decades up front, but four takes slightly away from what is a very very very nice T bucket,

So all of this is about tweaking a damn good vehicle, and as you can see this is a case of to each his own.

You have gotten many good ideas for changing the exhaust. Suggest you first simply change the carb (I believe that you mentioned that you were planning to to that anyway) before you finalize a decision on the exhaust as it is easier and the whole car's appearance will be much different with that one change. That poor motor is crying out for "two" of something up top.

16. renrob5000

renrob5000

Love your car bud. How about a slant cut instead of turnouts on your existing pipes?

17. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

I dont agree with the scoop beeing 80s,look on top of a drag/gasser engine from the late 60s and what will you find?
    The M/T covers came in the 60s,maby some finned covers would be more "right" but i dont want them on this engine,they would be too lame:D
    But i can see what you mean.
    The carb and intake are Edelbrock new stuff,the original Rochester on the 327 wasent any good so i just bought a Edelbrock 600 bolted it on and drove the car.
    Dual carbs would be nice but i think that will have to wait fore some time.
    The tailights are from a 60s Jaguar ore something like that.
    The bullets are ther just because we arent aloud to have turn signal in the same light as the brake/rear light (if it aint original).
    Dont worry aboute the led lamps,i aint stupid ha ha.

18. SYCO620

SYCO620
    from Merced, Ca

I used a set of sprint car zoomies from Speedway on mine. Really cheap, rolled out under the frame and sounded bad ass on a pretty stock 327. Only prob was the exhaust blew dirt and rocks everywhere.

Attached Files:

19. Jimv

Jimv

i just got hugger headers & ran the exhaust under the car.I didn't want the "munster car" look.
    JimV

Attached Files:

20. That's funny!

I like your Dodge bucket.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You're right about classic dragsters from the 60s having scoops similar to that but they were just air catchers. Once you put an element inside the look changes, and the implementation of those scoops (die cast aluminum or billet) just screams 80s to me. But that's just me, and this is your car and if it resonates with you, that is all that matters. The only reason I bring any of this at all is that you asked for input.

I figured that the Harley lights were for turn signals. Maybe if you can relo them to be more in line with the Jag lights they would not look as stuck on. Again, this is me, and often things look different in person than they do in a picture.

At least we agree on the LEDs. LOL.

I am trying hard to view your total engine combo in its entirety to get hold of what is bugging me about it. The things I have already mentioned, for sure, but maybe there is something else. Too many textures. You have polished and raw and chrome; maybe if those valve covers were polished or something like the scoop aand/or carb were not highly polished things would even out more.

But it is a really nice rod.

22. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

I think its really great that everyone shares their opinion aboute my car.
    Its always fun to hear what people think and what they have to say.
    So dont be shy,i wont take it the wrong way.
    And maby your right aboute the polished/raw/chromed look.
    I really wanted an old more raw air scoop but they are hard to get.

23. plw

plw

I know you said you didn't want Lakesters but you do have more room under there than you think. Here's what I did.

Attached Files:

24. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Thats one way to do it,but i dont want the pipes hanging under the frame so you can se them from the side.

25. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Come on,i need som insperation.
    Heres the new color...

[​IMG]

26. Mine: A different take on traditional sidepipes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

[​IMG]

these are nifty!

28. The set I made for my son's Bucket

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  29. have you ever thought of having your exhaust ceramic coated in white? that would look BITCHIN on your car.

30. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Yep,they are going to be white when i build new ones.
    And it fits the 60s style:)