Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fenderless with radial tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scoop, Jan 30, 2010.

1. scoop

scoop

I need some pics of fenderless hot rods with radial tires.I like the looks of bias ply but I want the ride and handling of radials.I don't want to start a shit storm so if you don't have something positive to add don't respond.

2. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Check Coker tire...

3. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I just posted pics of my 5-W today under title of Just replaced my 36 -3-W. the wait is over with NEW Wide Wall Radials. They are Diamond backs and I wouldnt have anything else. Larry.:cool:

Attached Files:

4. BBobb

BBobb

Probably going to catch shit for this because this is a touchy subject here,but here goes.Sorry about the girl shot it is the onle side view i have worth a crap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

here's one.

Attached Files:

• 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      8.3 KB
      Views:
  6. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

That shot is nothing to be sorry about ............

7. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

A picture of a hot rod that includes pretty girl in a pink bikini is hardly ever wrong.

My car in the avatar has always had radials; currently 165R15 front, P245/75R16 rear.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Here's mine, as O/T as they come. From Coker. Gary

Attached Files:

9. kaboom

kaboom
    from STL, Mo

Hubba hubba. Is it a touchy subject because everyone wants to touch the subject?:D

10. Gator

Gator

A few from my files;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

About 18 months ago, after thousands of miles of driving, I decided to replace the aged bias ply wide whites on my roadster with a set of Diamondback blackwall "smoothie" radials. In my opinion, it changed the appearance of the car from '50's style cruiser' to 'Hot Rod'. Appearance-wise I liked it either style.
    More importantly, the radials dramatically improved the tracking and overall handling, so much so that I then replaced the tires on my fenderless A Tudor with Diamondback radials. In this case, they didn't look as good as the Bias ply tires they replaced, but again, the new radials improved the tracking and driveability dramatically. Most casual or uninformed observers don't notice or don't care.
    I know that many HAMB'R's would chose not to sacrifice traditional appearance, but to me, it was worth the compromise, because to me the driving experience is more important and the radials are clearly superior, for me on my cars. If I didn't drive a lot, I'd probably go with bias-plys.
    It's a personal decision that doesn't need to be debated. To each his own.
    Here's what they look like on the roadster with small cycle fenders. For some reason I can't upload a pic of the Tudor but it's on my profile if you're interested.

Attached Files:

12. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

radials

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. blt2go

blt2go

ditto and wow!!!!!!

14. millersgarage

millersgarage

15. second_time_around

second_time_around
    from Ohio

there is a car in the picture?

16. If you drive alot....radials hands down. Around here the roads will throw a car in the next lane on bias crap. They look good thou.

17. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

x2 on the "What car" quote. I've got radials on my car because i already had the rear tires/wheels & i got the NEW front tires for free! I've been around long enough that one of the first things all my buddies did was get radials for their cars. most of them drove OK, but radials just covered up so many sins, that it was the first thing we did. we thought it was such an improvement because we wanted to DRIVE our cars. that being said, I LOVE! the look of some of the current "re-pop" cheater slicks being produced. as soon as my (limited) budget will allow, I'll be buying some "Hurst Cheater slicks" as made by "Adams Hot-Rod Rubber" in oregon city. these guys are close-to-home and have a rep of taking care of their customers. I remember picking up a set of old-school "cheater slicks" on chrome reverse wheels for my first car @ a local wrecking yard. paid 40.00 and thought i was king-shit! 6 inch shackles and all!

Attached Files:

18. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Heres mine:D

Attached Files:

19. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Wow I could have had a V8.....wish I were a radiator on that car!!!!!!

20. fitzee

fitzee

Far from traditional but I enjoy it.

Attached Files:

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Why can't radials be made that look just like a bias ply tire? I don't mean close, like the cokers and others now out there. I mean exactly.

22. BBobb

BBobb

Diamond back beet you to your thoughts.There are a few threads on here about them.Check it out,it's amazing,but very costly

23. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

Soon will be putting whites on the front

Attached Files:

24. fitzee

fitzee

I find any body running radials tend to mount the rear tire on a wider rim.I don`t see too many running radial on the back on a 5 inch rim. Like myself most have them on a 8 inch rims

25. Just a couple of questions to think about before you commit to purchasing tires.

How much driving are you going to be doing? Driving cross-county vs. going to local shows. What will be the overall look of the car? "period correct" vs. modern. How hard will you be driving your car? Sunday drive vs. Driving her deep into the corner. Conditions of the road you will be traveling on a majority of the time? Smooth vs. rutted and patched.

26. Racerex

Racerex

personally, I am willing to sacrifice some ride quality for the good looks of some pie crust bias plies.

27. 117harv

117harv

What's a radial?

28. I've always run radials. Back in the day, bias plies were all we had so we didn't know any better but the radials drive so much better. At speed ya can't hardly tell and nobody has ever said anything about em when parked except what size are your tires.

Attached Files:

29. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

[​IMG]

Diamond Back are what I put on my Family's roadster. Sorry for the poor quality pic here, but they do have the look of a bias ply from a radial tire.:) More history and photos of car at...http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430371&highlight=kraft+bronson

30. 41 C28

41 C28

Here was my "fenderless with radials", but now have full fenders on her.

Attached Files: