Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Drag racing..... slot cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hiboy32, Jan 15, 2010.

1. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Pro Mod style El camino for my son.

[/IMG[​IMG]IMG]

2. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

MMMMMMMM, altered wheelbase

3. pullinlines

pullinlines
    from indy

Hey storm king...try bullitt speedway in brooks county ky.

4. are you guys lettimg the front tires touch the track??

5. I used to race these amongst others, the green hornet held the street class record for quite awhile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still got a few, great fun drag racing slot cars.

6. storm king

storm king

Where's Brooks County? I'm in Butler.

7. JasonK

JasonK

Here is my tribute to my old GTO.

Attached Files:

8. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

no, once it's finished and has braids in the guide flag the front tires will be up off the track a little.

9. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

AMT Rat Packer AWB Nova kit.

10. KennyJr07

KennyJr07

Here is a few pictures of some of the slot cars I used to drag race. Been out of it for about 7 years now. A friend of mine and I traveled to race at different places, from Guelph Canada to Florida. It was a blast. All of these ard hard bodies except for the dragster and funny car at the bottom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. storm king

storm king

Come on guys! interior cards are cheap!

12. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

John, yours are all 1/24 scale correct? What is the lenth of the track and what kind of times are you getting on average? Sorry for all the questions, I just think those things are so cool and its interesting.

Jon

13. We used to have a track close to us then it closed down.Man I miss running those cars.

14. yeah thats what I was thinking,used to be ya couldnt race without it inplace

Attached Files:

15. KennyJr07

KennyJr07

Yes they are, and the cars aren't complete without them. I never ran a car without an interior. These pictures of cars without the interiors were not race ready when they were taken. I had to look back on old disks to find pictures. I will look to see if I can find the ready to run shots for those that are missing them. Just wanted to give guys a look at some different stuff.

16. KennyJr07

KennyJr07

Jon, I can answer for my stuff that I had. 1/24th scale, 1/8th mile was 27.5 feet. 1/4 mile is 55 feet. There is a ton of classes, different rules. For example, The funny car on the bottom of my pics, was considered A/FC ran the 1/4 mile .750/second range @ about 75 actuall mph. The Willys on top was a Super Gas and ran the 1/4 in .990 and 1/8th in .640. The other cars in my pictures were basically bracket cars and ran various times. The quickest class was AA/FC. They ran in the low .3's in the 1/4 mile at around 125mph.

17. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Thanks Kenny, so are most places running 1/8th or 1/4? Wow those times are something, do you have problems with traction at all?

Jon

18. KennyJr07

KennyJr07

Havent done it in about 7 years, so Im not sure what is more common right now. Around here was just about all 1/8 mile. Had to go out to bigger events to find the 1/4 mile stuff, but I guess alot of it depends on your area.

As far as traction goes, you put a coating of a thick tire bite on the tires and roll out on the track to give traction. They make different compounds and all cars are different.

19. 1939STREETROD

1939STREETROD

just dug some of my old slot rides out....and they still look kool!

Attached Files:

20. I know, but so am I! I actually bought one, but stoppd racing before I had a chance to put it in a car.

21. Scale Model Supply's track in St. Paul, MN is a 1/4 mile scale track.

22. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Jon, they are all 1/24 scale. That other guy answered your other questions. The track I race at is a scale 1/4 mile. We don't have any class racing, all brackets. My cars run between .950 & 1.30.

23. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

If you guy's are comenting about my cars if you read the post it says they are not complete. I agree the interiors are cheap and make the car complete. All my finished cars have them. Unfortunatley the track I race at allows bracket cars to run without them.

24. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

wow some of those times are pretty impressive. We have an 1/8 th miler here. I havent really done much racing (yet) so I havent been able to figure out what I need to make them really run.

I agree that they need an interior. The 40 that I built has the full Monogram interior.

25. This thread inspired me to dig out the old cars from the attic. Don't think there is much around in NJ to use them anymore.

Attached Files:

26. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

John, there are 3 tracks in central/south Jersey. I also know on one in Elmsford NY & Beacon NY.

27. Great! Can you get me more info? I'd like to stop in at one if I'm passing near by.

28. storm king

storm king

Dang cgaswillys, that AVATAR looks like Lebanon Valley in New York.
    Our max wedge had 52 class wins between there and Dover back in the day. Had some fun times with Mike Commander way back then.

29. chris55

chris55

I'm getting ready to take my 6 year old son tomorrow. WOOHOO!

30. furyus

furyus
    from Virginia

Lots of cool stuff here; the HAMB is awesome.

My brother built this HO Maverick Funny car back in '71. Bought two Lindy Mavericks to build the stretched body. Hand-built the chassis and had an engine off a Hot Wheels car poking through the hood. You can see the gold base he laid under the blue, and he applied each letter of "Superstar" individually. The engine, driver and a couple of wheels are long gone. He entered it in the 2nd Annual AutoWorld HO Model Car Championship and won third place out of nearly 900 cars. The kicker? Made the cover of Car Model magazine (Sept 71), which was big stuff back then in the pre-www world (still is a big deal to me). Poppin a bad ass wheelie! I still have the car and the trophy he won. Occasionally the magazine will pop up on ebay - I've bought three so far for cheap.

My brother drowned in '75. This little car means so much to me. It's like the first thing I'd grab in a fire.

furyus

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010