Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ken....I built a '91 Jag XJS rear. I centered the pinion between the wheel flanges by offsetting the right side pivots 2" and then shortened it 6 3/4" on each side to achieve a 50" width. The rear torsion arms will ride on the Jag lower arms.

I built this adaptor to connect the 350 Turbo to the Jag chunk. That keeps the setback at the standard 40" (back of SBC to centerline rear axle) and the wheelbase at the original 86".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. Mitch G

Mitch G

mrut29, I've got a old 1979-80 Ascot yearbook, with a black and white photo of LeRoy Van Connet in a #21n, inside of a #5 with Clark Templeman at the wheel, the #5 has those lightning bolts on the hood. It says the photo is from a 1979 race at Ascot.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a quick scan from that page out of that yearbook.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. For you Ascot Fans
    [​IMG]

4. Originally Posted by Ken_Schou [​IMG]
    A QUESTION

This is for the folks that have street legal sprints &/or champ cars .. what kind of (not locked) rear ends do you use??

THANKS

I've got a 9" Ford rear with the torsion arms mounted to pivot pins that are mounted on brackets that are welded to the axle housing.

5. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Not 100% sure when I took those pics but it shoiuld have been 79 or 80

6. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

mrut29;
    Do you have any pics of a CRA Ascot driver by the name of Jim Close? He lived in Simi Valley and drove a car #74.
    Thanks

7. Sprint 2 WIN

Sprint 2 WIN
    from Califonia

That pic. of the Tamale Wagon looks to be taken during full daylight (dry-slick track) ,maybe the Midwinter opener at Ascot 1983 ? I seem to remember Vogler coming out to drive the Morales car around that year, Thats my guess.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  8. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Anyone remember the Saligoe family from Indy? It was my understanding they built some of the best midgets & sprinters back in the day .... I use to work with Mike here in the Atlanta area. I'll have to get him on here ..... he's got TONS of vintage pix.

This thread is KICK ASS.

PACO

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I am using a 1981 Bronco 9" roundback with a Winters QC grafted on:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Wow, these pics are interesting! And IF they show the Vail Miller, they blow my theory of it becoming the donor car for the Yagle two-seater, since Mademoiselle Hellé Nice (real name Helène Delangle, I believe) didn't arrive in the US until July 28, 1930! I have her first appearance on a US track at Harrington (DE) on August 2. Interestingly, I don't have any European appearances for her from before her American sojourn... I shall look into this subject once more!

Another thing to ponder: the exhaust of the Beals Miller clearly shows that the original engine had been replaced, but by what? A '183' Miller? Possibly, but I have a sneaking suspicion it might be a Model A Duesenberg! A couple of weeks after that Woodbridge event, Beals finished second at the Lancaster (PA) Fair in what was reported as a Duesenberg. Also, later in 1930, Hellé-Nice shared a Miller with Jimmy Patterson, who during the following two years often drove a Miller '122' chassis with a Model A Duesenberg engine for Brooklyn car owner Louis Katz!

The Katz Miller/Duesenberg I had tentatively identified as the car Bob Robinson drove in 1930, and of course, there's another Ray Keech/Ed Yagle connection here, for Robinson drove Keech's Duesenberg the year before! Looking at the only picture I have of the Katz car, I can now see quite a number of similarities with the Vail Miller, but this is getting tricky! Nobody said this was going to be easy... :(

11. racer5c

racer5c

I don't think Clark ever drove the Tamale Wagon but I may be wrong

12. racer5c

racer5c

Mike Saligoe is a very talented fabricator, I think him and his son are building motorcycles down around Atlanta now, I don't think he built any Sprint Cars but he did build Midgets, Rich Vogler drove one that was owned by the Jim Streicher

Attached Files:

13. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

If you blow the picture up it could be Rich Vogler painted on the screen between Alex and Andy Morales' names.
    Mrut, ya shoulda used a 10 megapixel camera so we could read the fine print. They had those in '83. didn't they?

14. AugieAscot

AugieAscot

I dug through my closet and found a stack of Ascot pictures from (I think) the day race in the spring of 1979. They only did this day race a couple times I think, maybe 3 times. Anyway I saw 2 of them and they were dry, dusty, tire eating events that didn't provide the side by side racing the night races did. But it was warmer. ABC's Wide World of Sports was there too.
    Side Note: I think Templeman drove the Tamale Wagon around this time also, but after this race and not for the entire year. Goudy was their regular driver but was about to retire. This may have been his last race?
    [​IMG]
    Gary Bettenhausen checks out the turn 3 surface. Gary wore an open face helmet for this race, the last time I remember seeing one at Ascot (in a sprinter).
    [​IMG]
    Rick Goudy. Was this his last ride in the Alex's beautiful Tamale Wagon?
    [​IMG]
    Johnny Anderson in the 21N ? Anybody know for sure?

15. Mel Blanc

Mel Blanc
    from New Jersey

Does anyone have any photo's of any the Raceweld cars in action.I did see one in a centerfold of a magazine,but I cannot recall which one.That was back in the 80's.These guys (Mataka Bros) raced for a lot of years,mostly East Coast tracks.

16. nitram22

nitram22
    from California

If it's early '79 it probably is Anderson, he was out of the car by mid-season, replaced by Van Connett.
    The Van Connett/Templeman picture is from May, 1979. I have the same picturein my Racing Wheels scans from that year.

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for another photo of Rich, Roy. Never get tired of seeing pics of him - one of my favorite people as well as being one of my favorite drivers. Like a lot of folks, I still miss him.

18. Buildy

Buildy

"Does anyone have any photo's of any the Raceweld cars in action.I did see one in a centerfold of a magazine,but I cannot recall which one.That was back in the 80's.These guys (Mataka Bros) raced for a lot of years,mostly East Coast tracks."

My Uncle Jerry Karl drove for the Mataka brothers in the # 75 Midget and the 3n1 Dirt Champ car.
    I`d be thrilled to see any photos of Jerry in the Mataka Bros. cars if anyone has some.

[​IMG]

Here is a great Ken Coles shot of Jimmy Maguire in the Raceweld #75 at the Astrodome.

http://www.colesracingphotos.com/Cars/Midget-Cars-1950s-60s/10717160_arkcK#746505881_ZSeM3-XL-LB

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  19. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

I guess we can call this just some CRA pics since the second one is from El Centro. Don't for sure the cars except of course the Tamale Wagon. The yellow suit and helmet make me think it's Dwayne Feduska but I don't remember him driving the Tamale Wagon.

Attached Files:

20. Does anybody remember Pete Boshens' #2A sprint car ? Big Bob Moore from Phoenix won CRA features at the El Centro fair in '73 and '74 driving for Pete.

Bob also drove the predecessor to my Beck car at the '74 Knoxville Nationals. I tried to lure him back to Knoxville for the '78 race but we couldn't put a deal together.....I don't remember why. :)

21. nitram22

nitram22
    from California

The yellow one on the right is Leroy Van Connett in the Chris Zootis #6

22. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Does anybody know if it's as easy to get in and take pictures at the track as it used to be. Used to be just buy a pit pass and go inside the corner and take pics but I'm not sure if in our overly litigous society if it's still that easy. Since I have a nice digital SLR I'd like to get some really good dirt track shots.

23. rooman

rooman

At the Hoosier 100 last year a group of us managed to get up to the rail in turn 3-4 and I got some great shots. The fact that racer5c was part of the group and knew the corner marshals might have helped.

Roo

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

No problems anywhere I've went and shot.. I just get a Pit pass, pay attention and walk to the infield when the other photographers do.. stay out of the professionals way, and click away! ;)

25. That centerfold was Open Wheel in the early 80's

26. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

I have a pic of a 2s car, may not be the right one but it is an older springer front so there is at least a shot it might be.

Attached Files:

27. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Some more Ascot shots. Not sure who they are

Attached Files:

28. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Not an action shot, but this picture was originally posted on the Cageless Midget Thread here by a 1935Ron .. it was taken at the Annual Hinchcliffe Stadium auto racing reunion, at the stadium in Paterson, NJ. I don't know anything about this car (I'd like to) &/or whether Bill & Ed Mataka (Raceweld) at one time owned it or if they sponsored it or what?????

Maybe I should get off my duff and make a call to the Raceweld shop (now in White House, NJ I think) and find out?

I visited their shop often, when it was in Maplewood, NJ. They were true craftsman as well as innovators that contributed A LOT over the years to the sport of open cockpit racing. They ran TQ's (did A LOT of Crosley engines for others), full midgets, sprints and a champ (Silver Crown) cars.

One memory that is flooding back was of the only full midget show in the Atlantic City, NJ Convention Hall. It was a George Stockinger promotion. The Mataka midget, with perenial stock car hot shoe Frankie Schneider twisting the wheel .. the ONLY car on the outside .. passing car after car .. putting on a spectacular show .. until the fuel pump belt flew off, ending the charge.

Attached Files:

29. Jerracer

Jerracer

Tony Simon, Tom Roa, Rip Williams.

30. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Any of you Ascot/CRA types ever go to Speedway 117 (maybe called South Bay) 1/2 mile north of Tijuana Int airport? Saw the CRA guys there many times (nice 5/8 miler with a 1/4 miler inside that the west coast midgets used.

Only event I've ever been to where you were inspected by cops on the way out!!! (border Patrol)