Register now to get rid of these ads!

Woodward or Eastwood Shrinker Stretcher

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GTSDave, Jan 25, 2010.

1. GTSDave

GTSDave

Looking at entry level shrinker stretchers and just happened to get e-mails from both Eastwood and Woodward fab today.

Eastwood sells a pair with shrinker and stretcher having different bodies.

http://www.eastwood.com/shrinker-stretcher-combo-set-two-bodiestwo-jaws.html?SRCCODE=1EM0132&utm_content=Full+List&utm_campaign=01-25-10+Save+%2420+On+Our+Shrinker+Stretcher+Set+-+Today+Only!&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

Woodward fab sells one that is one body with two sets of jaws.

http://www.woodwardfab.com/shrinkerstretcher.htm

They both look pretty much the same other than the two bodies for the Eastwood setup. Does anyone have any experience with either one of these setups? I want to order one this week, but not sure which one is the better deal.

What do you think?

-Dave

2. I don't know the quality of either. I would guess by the price that the Woodward one is better quality as I don't find Eastwood particularily cheap price wise. That being said I found changing jaws to be a pain in the ass when I first got a shrinker/stretcher (lancaster brand)and soon bought a second body. Guys will probably say it is not a big deal switching them but if you are fine tuning something and have to switch back and forth multiple times while making a piece it gets old quick.

3. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

I can say that when you are using them,having the pair saves time.I had mine mounted on a old fish tank stand.It made it easy to move around and use whichever one you needed at the time.If you like getting something just right buy the set,you will be glad you did...

Steve

4. pastlane

pastlane

I bought my set from US Tool, advertised as made in USA Lancaster, received an offshore piece (dead copy of what I bought from Eastwood years earlier on sale). Received some money back after being a squeaky wheel. It does it's job.
    I do agree if you are going to be using it a lot get two bodies so you don't have to switch jaw sets out constantly.

5. sherm II

sherm II
    from central Pa

I know lots of members on here do not care for the tools at harbor freight. But for the money for an entry level tool MY opinion is their combo set works great. And no matter what kind you decide on you won't /can't go wrong by getting a combo set.QAnd yas I have the H.B.set.

6. ritchj

ritchj

Changing jaws is not worth the effort or time vs. the relative cost of time vs. money. Floor pedal power on a home made stand is the best way to go - allows you to keep two hands available for holding the work piece.

Smooth and lube the surfaces where the jaws rub on each other (not the shrink/stretch teeth) but the seam at 6 and 12 o'clock and they'll work a little nicer.

HF is more expensive than the same units from Eastwood when they do their one day only (a month) sale. Never thought I'd say this - but the same thing is actually cheaper at Eastwood than HF.

7. GTSDave

GTSDave

Well it doesn't show up in the link I posted earlier, but with the e-mail link I got they are $20.00 off and free shipping from Eastwood today. Gonna pull the trigger on the pair.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

-Dave

8. I've got the Eastwood set and am quite happy with it.

9. GTSDave

GTSDave

Well now it does show up with the discount and free shipping. Must need to clear my browser cookies.

In any case I pulled the trigger. Been wanting a set for a long time and this little sale made it worth it.

-Dave

10. 35desoto

35desoto

I bought off Eastwood a pair and they are heavy duty Lancaster ones - I think they sell them rebranded as they also sell a cheaper set. The quality is good and they will certainly handle a good bit of work. I'm Happy with the purchase. Working with a pair certainly cuts down on time and hassles esp if you use them often.

11. thebugbox

thebugbox

What was the price as they ar showing up in that link as $169.99? You can walk into Harbor freight with the 20% off coupon (from just about any car mag) and get them for $160 +tax. I'm not convinced that the Eastwood and Harbor Freight ones are any different...

If you bring the wife to buy the stand (one coupon per person), you can get the HF one for $280, with the stand.

12. GTSDave

GTSDave

thebugbox,

The one I ordered yesterday was from an e-mail link I got from Eastwood and was good until midnight.

It was for the pair (1 of each) for $149.00 with free shipping. They may have changed the link since it expired last night. Also if you just did a search on their website yesterday they came up at $169.99. IF you clicked through from the e-mail they sent out, or on the link I posted above you got the discount. Sorry for the confusion.

I also sent the link to a friend of mine and he ended up ordering them at the discount as well.

Knowing Eastwood, they will probably run the sale again. Their e-mails are a pain in the rear, but sometimes they give some pretty good deals on them.

-Dave

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

One more time for buying the set. Changing the jaws is a major pain in the butt when your in the middle of a job and just want to fine tune a curve. I've had my Eastwoods for 20 years and they are still like new. Take the jaws out occasionally and clean the metal out of the jaw teeth, oil lightly and reassemble. Some of the metal will be stubborn to get out. Just dig at it with a pick and make sure ALL of the crud is removed. I do this a couple of times a year and they are returned to like new performance.

Frank

14. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

MMount the type with ahand lever to a seriouse heavy duty bench or block.
    The one my friend had in his shop wa smounted on a steel block that wa soff a 5ft machine shop drilling machine, It probably weighed 100 pounds alone.
    That said I think most of these are the same product in different paint.

15. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

i bought one from summit. I'm assuming that it was the woodward peice, but could be some cheap knock off. Anyways the thing sucks I have used it three times and now the jaws barely bite. I have cleaned them many times. If i could buy another I would spend a little more fot better quality

16. thebugbox

thebugbox

I took a Ron Covell class a few weeks ago, and he had a high dollar, very deep throat set of shrinkers / stretchers. It was new, and he was not getting the results he expected. He oiled the mechanisms, and tried again, and they started working excellent. Almost too good in some parts.

The lesson is, no matter how much you pay, it still might not work as intended!

I don't know if this will fix your problem, but its worth a try!

17. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I have the woodward one! And its a fantastic tool! It takes about 2 sec to change the jaws over and I wouldnt have room for two tools anyways. It looks quality and works fantastic. I saw them at two or three big car shows around here and actually let me use the tools to try and sell me one. I learned that they are super easy to use and it was awesome to try it out before I bought it.

Go woodward!

18. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I have an Eastwood set, with one US tool body, and one set of Woodward fab replacement jaws. They are all US made Lancaster and interchange. I wanted two bodies because many times you are both shrinking and stretching at the same time, back and forth.

19. thebugbox

thebugbox

Just bought my Eastwood set for $149 today, found it on another link on the site! We'll see how it goes.

20. My Eastwood set is made in the USA.

21. banditomerc

banditomerc

Eastwood has two different sets,cheap and $$$.I have the better set.It's much easier when your working with to 2 individual units, because stopping to change jaws just kills it for me.I have tried HF units,they are cheap,and if you are not using alot,they may be good for you.But if you are using regularly...get Woodward or the $$Eastwood model.Just my 2 Cents

22. Tin Can

Tin Can

I have the cheaper eastwood set, I have not played with them much but it seems like they should work better than they do. Is there any adjustments that I need to make or anything I need to do to make it work better? It seems like you have to almost slam the handle to get them to work.

23. studhud

studhud

Here's a trick
    1. Look at jaws from the front, the jaws have a short and a long side on the upper set and the bottom. If they line up"the gap that is" change the upper or the bottom so the gap is offset. That way the metal doesnt bunch or stretch in one spot soo much.
    2. If the jaws contact one side before the other then the wire retainers inside are not bent equal. Take them apart bend them the same length or whatever until both sides grab the same
    There's your tip for the day Folks!:D
    Dave Hitch

24. Tin Can

Tin Can

Thanks studhud. You are the greatest.....sorry to hijack the thread