Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Badical. Glad yours is coming together. Mine is still just a pile of parts but this is motivation to actually start doing some work.

2. jj mack

jj mack

Just caught this thread!!!

Awesome retrospective on the build. i know it is hard to grasp the time it takes for 1 to vision, design, learn how and build a car....but you took it to another level with a peculiar car that most would just pass by.

Thanks for all your help, keep up the good work.

JJ

3. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

The Pontiac Gods beckon you to return to their tribe............

I am SO PROUD to call you brother.

4. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Scott!!! Wow!!! great job on the all in one tread!

5. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Amazing Scooter!!!

6. JoeC

JoeC

I'm new to the hot rod world, don't know much but I sure know you have done some nice work. Outstanding!!!

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Holy Chit Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like I told you, I'm a kustom guy, so I tend not to dig too deep into hot rod build threads unless I'm pointed towards them. I just read the vast majority and I'm stunned. I remember a few weeks ago there was a thread on the Ridler and how someone should build a traditionally inspired rod to compete. It was mutually agreed upon that the traditional aspect would negate its ability to really compete.

If that asumption could ever be proved wrong, THIS IS THE CAR THAT CAN DO IT!!!

Truly amazing. Not only the progress you've made, but the attention to detail and creativity involved. If I had the amount of raw talent you hold in only your pinky, I'd be happy!

Great job. If you need a painter... I'll pay YOU to let me do it!!!

8. freebird101

freebird101

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

Scott... it's come a long way. Thanks for putting the "review" together.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! Just saw the comments. You guys are WAY too nice! Thanks for the compliments! Riddler??? You guys are killing me. If this thing is Riddler worthy than I'm going in the wrong direction. :rolleyes::D

Spent the weekend cleaning up some of the small bits and pieces for prep and paint. Seriously... didn't have a CLUE how many tiny little pieces I had to clean up. Hoping to start painting some time in February. I'll start with the suspension, then get the frame in primer.

Here's a few of the pieces.... Nothing too exciting. Just have to work on a few pieces at a time because there' so many to prep. Some of them weren't even cleaned up after fabrication. Just bolted them on and moved onto the next part. After cleaning everything up, I bagged and boxed them to keep the damp air away.

[​IMG]

I spent probably around 2-hours just filing and shaping the corners of the spring clamp and getting rid of stess points (it is a strength member, since the spring is mounted ABOVE the crossmember). Then I decided to ditch it and have a new piece laser cut that's a little more substantial. I'll send that out today to be cut. At least the old one looked nice! :D

[​IMG]

But seriously... ton of bits and pieces!

[​IMG]

All I have left to clean up are the front spindles, front axle, and the front and rear springs. Brake drums need to be painted also, but they will be high-temp.

Thanks again guys. But seriously... too kind!

11. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yikes!!! That looks like shit load of work. You should really just build Rat rods like CHRIS (and I) instead and save yourself some work. Hahaha!!!

Everything looks really good though Scott.

On another note, I was at the midwife's office this past Friday taking a leak and the bathroom was painted very much like the color you want to do.... and to top it off it had black base board through out the room. SO I am waiting to hear my baby's heart beat again and all I can think about is your bathroom colored Hot rod....I'm sick.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BWAHAHAHA!! :D Awesome!

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay... So I just got back from getting the plate cut. Designed it out real quick, then took it to my guys to be cut. The new plate is 3/8" and the ears are much beefier now. I can start filing it out like the other one now...

By the way. I help people with CAD work and getting stuff cut like this. So if any of you need a little help with getting some parts drawn up and cut and/or machined, just let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Never mind me, you the one who's sick! At this rate dude you'll be done at about the same time my '32 should be driving!!!

Just kidding man, the new part is definitely beefier and safe is always good. Get filing!

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Beautiful presentation, Scoot. Really shows clearly your progress through the whole project. Can you see the light at the end of the tunnel?
    Tony

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Tony! Thanks! Yes I can, but there's a "green" ($$) filter in front of the light that dulls it down a bit. ERR! HAHA! :rolleyes:

18. Justin31A

Justin31A

This is one of the most creative builds I have ever seen! It's coming out awesome man, keep up the great work.

19. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

That is one truely bad ass chariot you got there Mr. McRad....

Now if I could only talk the ol' boy at the scrap yard out of the 4dr A that's sittin' on top of his building...

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see it done!!

BTW, the color combo is sweet! I was thinking of something like that for my project but I'm leaning more towards a battle ship type grey... Same color they used on early Farmalls...

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, quick update and a couple quick questions! Don't expect anything too exciting...

Just been prepping for paint. Holy CRAP there were a lot of parts to get ready!! Suspension parts are ALL ready for prep, primer, and gloss black. Frame is ALMOST ready for prep and primer. One more day of prep and I should be good to go.

Since the last thing I showed you was the spring clamping plate, I guess I should show you how that turned out. Couple hours just in this stupid little plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The thing that I was REALLY dreading was getting the springs all prepped for paint.

The front spring is a Posies superslide "HD".

[​IMG]

The squared lookd of the support springs at the top of the spring pack was killing me, so I taped them to look more like a stock Model A spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time for the rear spring! WHAT A MESS!!! New and old grease to remove, strip the paint, there was even a little bit of CHROME left on there! What a nasty job! Hours just cleaning and stripping this thing! In addition, I polished all of the adjoining surfaces where the ends of the springs had worn from sliding. Also rounded off the bottom edges so the could slide better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some serious scrubbing, scraping, wirebrushing, and abrasive work, the leaves are ready for primer and paint!

[​IMG]

The frame is pretty much ready as well. Just a few more places to clean up and prep. A little bit of surface rust I couldn't get off so I'm going to neutralize it and clean up the surfaces by hand. UHG! That will suck, but it will have to do.

First thing I did though, was take the frame outside to clean up all the little inside corners and weld depressions that I couldn't get at with abrasives. I used a cheap-o spot blaster. REALLY cheap, but it worked just fine.

[​IMG]

I set up a tarp to at least reclaim some of the media. I was actually able to get back about 30% of what I shot, amazingly.

[​IMG]

Then I continued on with cleaning up the surfaces and going through the grits. LOTS of work, but I think it will pay off nicely!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Awesome..Go man! Make it happen!!

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, but I mentioned I have questions...

First! What is the best way to handle the hot coat or dark gray mill finish on the steel tubing to prep for paint? Is the surface condition good enough to simply clean and, degrease and just lay my primer right over it, or should it be roughed up and prepped just like everything else? I have been treating it like everything else and knocking it down with 80 grit, but MAN it's a ton of work and just kills the abrasives quick. I think the answer will be to continue with what I'm doing, but I'm just curious if there is a better way.

This is the protective surface I speak of. It's on everything from the mill unless it's cold formed.

[​IMG]

SECOND!

For those of you with forged dropped axles (rather it be stock, or Chassis Engineering, or whatever), how do they look painted without polishing them up? I like the look of a forged piece, but I'm thinking that it might not look so good once it's painted with gloss block unless I polish the surfaces. Thoughts?

23. senior fried

senior fried

Wow is right , that is one trick Modified ! NICE.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Nice dude, the attention to detail is amazing! Can't wait to see it in black!

25. Other than Sandblasting I use those 3M style paint striping disks. They seem to take the mill scale off pretty quick. You do have to be carefull on pieces with sharp edges as they dissappear pretty quickly if you run them over the edge of a piece. :D

26. 73RR

73RR

Hey Scooter, that thing is beautiful!

The surface condition is not so much a protective coating, but just the way the metal reacts with the air when heated, as K13 says, mill scale. As you found with the springs, it can be removed with a flap wheel or media blasting. Unless you find the look of the surface offensive, maybe knock it down with some 36 grit then degrease the surface and lay on the primer.

Keep up the great work!!

Gary.

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, the surfaces on the inside of the frame don't bother me. I don't care if it's a nice surface per say. Just want to make sure the epoxy primer will bond to it. Thanks Gary! Thanks everyone!

28. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Just keep doing what your doing on the steel, scuff it up real nice and prime it...

29. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Looking great Scott !

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Rich! Going real slow right now, though. :(:(

Frame and suspensions parts are ALL ready for prep and paint and I have all my paint and most of the supplies picked out. Including the final color of the car. Picking paint has been more of a nightmare than I ever could have imagined.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. Things are just on hold at the moment.

Thanks everyone for your comments! They are appreciated!