Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Insane 58 Chevy (build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Insane 1, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Bet you thought I gave up by now? Yea, it's been a while since any progress, but just have a lot of things going on.

Sold the 71 p/u so good now have some cash...spending a big chunk of it on concrete.

Adding 1000 ft to the side of my shop so I can put all of my conv',s under 1 roof, so again getting delayed, but I did make a little progress on the 58 this weekend, only got to spend a couple of hours on it, but it kinda looks like a car again.

Also scored a rust free hood, and deck lid (better than all 3 of ea that I had) at pate for $10.00 ea! I'll try and make more progress a little faster!

Just rough but new quarter bloted in and rear bracing spot welded back in.
    [​IMG]

rear bracing spotted back in.
    [​IMG]

kinda interesting.
    [​IMG]

Again this is just roughed in, but you get the idea..I hope...
    [​IMG]

Still big hole that keeps growing...
    [​IMG]

At least I have a trunk lid again...
    [​IMG]

2. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I've been building stuff to lay frame since 94, and to me the whole "railing" thing is so 1995, when it it was cool before everybody started doing it, to me now its just about the looks.

3. Painter D

Painter D
    from DFW

Glad to see more progress.

fms427 likes this.
  4. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Great thread! keep us posted and keep the pic's coming!!!

5. Painter D

Painter D
    from DFW

Any more progress?

6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

What's tha latest with this one? Anything to update?

7. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I cant believe this post...WOW....

8. rebstew187

rebstew187

how's this 58 coming?

dearjose likes this.
  9. What a great build... hope to see more progress soon... great work!

keep it up..

10. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

My '71 was that color. I called it baby diaper yellow. I hate that color. It looked much better after i primed it gray and redid the interior in smoke gray and charcoal gray.

11. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

1. I LOVE 58 Chevy's........late greats are my true love *hope the Pontiac gods aren't listening*
    2. You're a total ruler, altho I'd be saving all 3 like some sick cat lady.
    3. I love that you're saving a 58 Chevy regardless of model.......and I will burn many Ford and Dodge emblems to the Chevrolet gods in your favor *they sit on higher clouds anyways*.
    4. I've never said this to ANY man, but I think I love you. =O)

12. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

whats goin on with the 68ish ford in the background?

13. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Yea, been a while since this has been updated. Last couple of months have been pretty tuff for me as I lost my dad in Nov. and haven't had any time to get back to it, but I will very soon.

I do have the back corner completly welded back together including the trunk channel. Been working more on the inner structure like rear body mounts, and soon trunk floor. Took pics I thought, but guess not. I'll post some up tomorrow.

Brandy - Thanks, but will you still love me if I put a Ford motor in this thing??

B&S chevy - The 68 Ford conv. is my main daily driver in nicer weather, 390/auto. $600 swap meet buy in 2001. It smoked really bad and needed brake work.

Cleaned out the sludge build up and the drainback holes, and did less than $100 in brake work, and been driving since. I have less than 1K in it as it sits including wheels.

One the best running/driving cars I've ever owned. This is before I started stripping off the old paint.
    [​IMG]

14. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Uhhhh, maaaaaaaaaaybe? Yes? No? Hell I don't know..............ummmm, I can cope, it has a hood and the GREAT thing about hoods? They stay closed 98% of the time.

Yah I can survive.:D

15. Mabey the boxed frame was a california thing. You did mention that one of the cars had one piece bumpers, didnt you?

By the way, you were kidding about that ford motor stuff, right???

16. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I would have to think on it, and I've not had dinner so my bulb is pretty dim, but I don't think my 4 door has a boxed frame........................

17. 51fleetline

51fleetline

58's are the shit homie...keep up the good work !!

fms427 likes this.
  18. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Yea, the boxed frame is a Cali. thing I later learned. The 2 door I'm working on had the 1 piece bumpers as well.

As for the ford motor...no, not kidding.

Well, to be honest he final plan was not to run a hood for the most part. Eha...you'll be ok.

19. H.R.charlie

H.R.charlie

You have a lot of work cut for you.No pun intended.Sorry about your dad.I find working on this stuff sort of brings your spirits up and gets your mind going in the other direction.Keep up the good work.Here is a pic of my 58 Impala.

Attached Files:

20. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Cool. What color is it going to be? Just don't ruin it's low budget daily driver status with an expensive paint job.

[​IMG]

21. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

You run without a hood on that car and I'll retract my proclamation of love!

That explains why my car isn't boxed.......its not a Cali car, must be a Texas car, which is why you have so many Cali cars there.

I think we should switch...........I want what's mine.

22. jangleguy

jangleguy

Maybe a fully dressed blown flathead in the '58 would make a nice tribute to your dad?

23. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Don't worry, going to be flat red. The 68 will always be just a good driver, nothing more. I have this to finish before I spend too much time on the 68.
    [​IMG]

24. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

My dad has always told me that when he was gone I would get this -
    56 T-Bird he has had since the early 80's. My mom gave me the title a couple of weeks ago. (crappy pic of a pic)
    [​IMG]

25. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Ok time to get back to the 58. Here is were she is at as of now.

The pass. side were the two panels were joined. (still doing a little work as you can see).
    [​IMG]

Here you can see were the two sections were joined by the gas door and in the trunk channel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have out about all the floor out that I'm going to take out.
    [​IMG]

Here is some of the inner structure around the body mounts that I will be dealing w/soon.
    [​IMG]

Getting there.
    [​IMG]

26. mckustoms

mckustoms

Nice build!
    Your doing a hell of a job on it.

27. BossK

BossK
    from Colorado

This is awesome! Gives me inspiration

28. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

im enjoying the build great thread

29. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Looking good so far. Mine was not as bad but mine is in a holding pattern now because of money and the coldness in the garage with no decent heat. Here is one picture to show you what I am doing.

[​IMG]

I have a build topic here somewhere too but I am sure its like on page 200 or something. You can see more pics on my picturetrail account. www.picturetrail.com/strtrdr

30. I saw this and the donor car in person, right as he was starting the project. He told me what he had in mind with this beast. I had doubts, but not now! It's coming along fine!

BTW, the '56 wagon I got from you is still in the parts acquisition phase, but the paint/body is essentially done.