Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 1926 / 1927 Roadster differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 13, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Can anyone tell me the specific differences between the 26 & 27 Ford Roadster?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Door sills and the only deffinitive i know, i've heard a little bit of the stamping on the doors before, but cant get a good answer

3. waldo39

waldo39
    from Illinois

'26 has a square raised plug in the rear end; '27 has square recessed. There is a small difference in the A pillar at the top hinge. New deck lids are available several places.

4. flamed34

flamed34

Any good suppliers of sheet metal for 26/27 roadsters? I have a nice complete roadster body that I bought a few years ago ($207.50 at auction with a full truck load of Model A parts!) but it's in need of a couple of patches (like around around the top of the seating area, sub-frame rails). I haven't started the build yet...just collecting parts...

Wish I had had a bunch of cash at that auction...'35 Ford 5 window sold for $800 (solid overall, but needed lower body patched), '36 Ford 3 window ($1200 - very straight solid car), restored '30 roadster for $5500, PILES of model A thru '36 fenders (talking @ 10 fenders in a pile) for $5....list goes on and on!

5. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Main difference in the bodys is that the lower piece of the rear quarter is long on a '26 and extends way back. On a '27 it only extends back about 4 inches to a separate filler piece.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Lots of differances! Early and late cowls, windsheild posts, doors, two different turtle decks, full floor and no floor, side curtain rod holes in doors are the ones that come to mind. Rear crossmember on the chassis differ, and the running board Ford script is large and small. Yes, I like 26-27 Fords.

7. ford didnt really like the whole model year thing back the , constant running changes, bottom o windshield post, doors , cowl, etc.

8. Learn something new everytime I drop in here. Anyone got any photos of that?

9. Heo

Heo

The headligt bar on 27 .26 have no bar
    think 3 ore 4 diferent bars on 27 dont remember
    all things that differ my father has a 27 roadster
    thats made the last month they made model t
    differ a lot from earlier 27
    but most things you most realy know whats
    you are locking fore

On a hotrod the dont make any differens

10. I'd like to echo what flamed34 asked; What suppliers are there out there for 26/27 roadsters with patch panels, door skins, etc?

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I just got done replacing the panel below my decklid, it was an 1/8 wider than the factory panel above the lid, which was something like a bit over 1/16 wider than it shoulda been compared to my decklid structure. So it all adds up to the panel below the decklid is close to 1/4" wider than is should be compaired to my decklid, but as i said even my factory stuff was off

So i guess for me i'm gunna streach my decklid to match when i reskin it

12. bloodsweat&gears

bloodsweat&gears

13. OFT

OFT

14. BAAAAAD experience with this joker.:mad: Would ONLY buy from him if I saw the parts in my hand first. Deceiving EVEN with pictures. Not sure that I even got what he promised. Rough cut out with a torch, and as bad as what I was replacing. Plus, forever to ship. Caveat emptor:mad:

15. twofosho

twofosho

I'll bite, where?

While we're at it, is there really a decent patch panel supplier out there you can trust? One with parts that fit close enough you can tweak them to make them work instead of remanufacturing them, or tossing them and making your own up from scratch? One who will deliver when THEY say they will?

16. hmuchler

hmuchler

My car is some kind of a model T. I was told 27. The bondo came off the door with the help of power tools and I have these holes above the door latch and handle. Right where a modern push lock button would be. What is it for?

17. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Hmuchler : Those holes are for sidecurtain mounts.

18. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

For patch panels check out www.mowercountycustoms.com
    John is a member here, I believe his handle is mcc7
    He can build anything you want.

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

Hmmm.... that guy has RULED for me.

20. Probably not important here, but '27 spindles are different. They lower the front axle 1" and are sought after for speedsters.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

The 1926-27 T's had a large rear brake drum, and are good to use on T speedsters too. Very early Midget Race cars used these drums with 12' rimsc welded to them to make wheels. That 6 bolt hub pattern that ford used on the wood wheels became the standars in Midget racing for many years.

22. RussTee

RussTee

early 26 even had kero side lights

23. BELLM

BELLM

Door latches are different

24. I'm trusting memory here, but didn't Ford add front brakes in '27? Knowing Ford, it probably didn't coincide with a model year change, probably a running change somewhere in late '26 or early '27.

25. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

You are going to find most all of the replacement and patch panels come from Howell's.
    Trying to sort out the variations in the two years has driven more that on person to drinking. Henry was known to make changes at the drop of a hat. That continued till Edsel took command of the company.

Ron

26. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

A couple of guys said door jams, you can't loose. When I'm looking at A rusty pos hulk, I go by the door jam. 26 are screwed in, 27 are rivited.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    whtbaron likes this.
  27. hmuchler

hmuchler

Side curtains, have you a link to a photo or a picture of a side curtian. Rains 6 months a year here. Ok more like 7.5. I want some kind of splash / rain windows. Can anyone help with a photo or a link.

28. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

you can use outer 26/27 door skins to make inside door panels. they have the same compound shape. you can put 4 2" holes in the center. you at least have something to work with. think about it. dick