Register now to get rid of these ads!

History yesteryears fillin stations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by breeder, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Dyce

Dyce

It's out in the middle of nowhere, that's all I know. I asked Dad (he took the pictures)and He told me he thought it was up in the Rosco area. He said the gas station in it's day sold hardware and grocerys. It was as if they locked the door and walked away and left it full of inventory. Nothing was for sale at the time. It would be like a time capsule!! Likely gone by now.

2. draginsteel

draginsteel

At Historic Dewey Bridge, Utah (bridge no longer there)

Moab08004.jpg

3. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Looks like an old gas station I saw in Billings (?) Mo a few years ago...Not too far from Springfield...

4. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

What an amazing collection of photos. One of my favorite subjects. Thanks for starting this post Breeder! I need to hop in the truck this weekend and go take lots of pictures. I can think of at least a half dozen or so old gas stations near by, 3 in Oxford Jct, IA (my wife's hometown0, 2 in Martelle, Iowa and a couple more in Stanwood, Iowa. I lived across the street from an old Standard service station growing up, which also served as a Ford Dealership back in the 1930's. Sadly, it was torn down last year along with an old gasoline supply depot. The depot building was full of old Tokheim, Wayne and Gilbarco gas pumps that were destroyed when the buiding was torn down.

5. A local chain that's been closed about 10 or 15 years decided to clean house and had an auction over four days last month. Gas pumps went as cheap as $10 but they had a couple '20s gravity jobs that went for about two grand. Everything from never-used oil cans, to signs, to even leftover promo stuff they used to give away - which was quite a variety of made-in-Japan crap.

Your gasoline supply depot demo crew were morons; any round top pump will bring $200 and up, the ones these guys had left all brought $300 a shot. The 60s-70s era ones they kept going around and a lot of them went to scrap, but for $10 I figured how could I go wrong, so I have one decorating the back porch, along with a price sign that was auctioned the end of the first day - by then no one cared and most folks had left so it cost me a whole dollar. One like it on the third day went for $40.

But the best thing was sold on the first day - it was a whole set of the porcelain panels, plus a couple of doors and the curved windows, for at least one gas station. All of $500 it went for. Stored indoors since the station got torn down. You could have bought the concrete molds for the blocks the next day, and the day after a sign and a couple more doors. At $500 all those panels didn't sell for much more than they'd be worth scrap, I don't think.

I see a number of old stations around up here, every so often you see one being used for something else that has an interesting design. In Geneva NY there's one that was the Greyhound stop, but I see some orange temporary fencing that makes me wonder if the hotel behind it is going to tear it down. It's fairly unique up here in that it's a stucco building with tile roof, and looks largely unaltered.

Just driving the back way or the old main roads it's not hard to find others. I even know where there's one in Ithaca NY that looks like a castle.. and I used to have pictures of one that was a two-story brick city type corner building that the second story came out over the pump island, which was torn down quite a long time ago. I've never seen anything else like that one.

So my pump is a Gilbarco model 3113. I never have been able to find out when that type was made, though; this one was last inspected in 1987, but the only info I can come up with online is about a current version of the same model pump. Apparently they still make mechanical-calculating pumps for certain applications.

6. Ingo#147

Ingo#147
    from Germany

Can you give some more Infos about the 67 Chevy Sport Truck in the Background.
    I have a 68 Sport Van 90.

#Ingo

7. unkamort

unkamort

Got these in an e-mail from my mom (of all people) this morning. Some may have already been posted, but I'll put up what I got.

Attached Files:

8. unkamort

unkamort

Just a few more...

Attached Files:

9. unkamort, you have the coolest Mom ever!

10. Thats for sure!

11. Esso

Esso

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Our Gasstation in Vasteras Sweden
    Esso

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  12. Can that building be saved ? It's shame. Thanks for sharing !

13. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

Mine, sorry only photo I have online. It's at Mo. hwy 136 & 5

[​IMG]

14. Esso

Esso

Some old gasstationpics from Sweden
    Esso

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Esso

Esso

More pics from Sweden
    Esso

[​IMG]

16. Esso

Esso

[​IMG]
    Awesome Picture from the golden days in Sweden.

17. MOGirl

MOGirl

Several old service stations, but I'm not able to link you to the exact page... These are all taken by a coworker and his wife around the mid missouri area. Some may recognize the 66 Gas Station off Interstate 70. Always wanted to go in, but never have....

http://www.360icon.com/Fotograpfs/Locations/index.html

18. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Good friend of mine's place.... Built his new shop to look like an old station. Really cool.....

Attached Files:

19. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

[​IMG]

Gulf station my father & uncles operated in the late 50's to early 60's located on State Highway 89 in Spring Valley, IL.

Building is still there...and it's for sale!

20. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

[​IMG]

Volpe's Service Station located on State Highway 351 in LaSalle, IL. Picture taken in the 50's?

[​IMG]

And how it looks today...in the same family for 3 generations!

21. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

22. RossPreen

RossPreen

Here's one that is doubley cool :D
    [​IMG]

23. I have always liked those old Gilmore stations and all of the paraphernalia.
    These are pic of two HO scale models of stations that I have started . Not quite done yet but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  24. 36NashtyCoupe

36NashtyCoupe

This is a picture of my wife and her dad at the station they owned. The picture was taken around 1961. It was located at the intersection of old Highway 13 and the Carrier Mills Blacktop outside of Harrisburg, Illinois. Dallasania was the name of the community.

Attached Files:

25. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

One of my grade school friend's dad had a Texaco Station we used to hang out at. I remember when the Semi truck delivered it. Prefab metal panels, we watched them assemble it using instruction sheets just like a model car. I loved that place. Must have been mid-sixties or so. Mom would pack me and my friend a lunch and tell me to stay out of the way and let me go. I would be gone all day, can't let your kids do that today. Gary

26. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

i don't have any pictures right now, but i'll get some and post later today, but, there's an old Gulf station in my neighborhood (old algiers in new orleans) that has been many different things but is now a pizza shop. the current owner is trying to keep things as original as possible with it. has all kinds of Gulf adverts and such. it's pretty cool to see.
    it was from a day when the neighborhood was fairly self sufficient. had it's own movie theater (just down the street from me), grocery store, gas station, etc..

27. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

here's a daytime pic of the gas station i was talking about. i'll try and get a night time pic this weekend.

[​IMG]

28. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

and the night shot as promised

[​IMG]

29. mow too much

mow too much

This is in Chandler or Stroud Oklahoma (CRS) very neat.
    [​IMG]

30. Hogger

Hogger
    from Carvel AB

little esso jasper.jpg

one in my home town