Register now to get rid of these ads!

Official Metal Flake Steering Wheel Pic and ID Thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jan 21, 2010.

1. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Who among us doesn't love the metal flake steering wheel? I know I do! I'm curious to see the rarer vintage flake wheels hanging on your garage wall or in your car. So, post up pictures of your flake wheels along with the size and manufacturer.

I'll start...

My vintage Superior 500 15" Gold with green...

[​IMG]

Love the green in it. Subtle, but cool...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

These aren't mine but I wish they were! Rare vintage Grants, from a japanese collector.

This one keeps me up at night...
    [​IMG]

And when I can sleep, this one gives me nocturnal emmissions...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. SickBoy66

SickBoy66
    from Eugene, OR

Bought this silver 15 incher a few weeks back from a HAMBer. Don't know the circa or the maker, but it's in mint condition.

Schwing...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Muttley

Muttley

5. Muttley

Muttley

Superior 500's:

[​IMG]

I've got a bunch more I'll take pictures of and post tomorrow.

6. Just when I thought I was over my steering wheel jones...

7. Who has some Superior history? I was searching for some info some time back with no luck.

8. joee

joee

i'm looking for a met. red one for my 32 fordor

9. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I know Mooneyes offers repos in the standard red,blue and silver but I have always felt someone should repo some in the so called odd colors such as gold, turquoise etc. And offer them with the long slot holes like the Grants shown above as well as 3 and 5 hole spokes.

Even if they were $200 bucks or so I think they would sell.

10. Kerry67

Kerry67

I have an old green Superior in my 56 Wagon. I had a couple more for wall decoration but I sold them when I needed some cash. Now, I wish I still had them. I am surprised that you don't see them too much at swap meets. They must get snatched up too quick I guess.

11. Anderson

Anderson

New flake wheels don't cut it. Moon, Speedway, they all miss the Mark. If it's not "vintage".....I don't have much use for it. I've got a green Superior 500 in my Olds. Looked around for a silver one for my El Camino a while back, those are hard to find!

12. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thats my point. The repops miss the mark. I really don't have a problem with reproductions as long as there done correct. Even if they cost a premium. I would think there is a market for correct Metalflake Wheels.

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Guys, where's the pics?! :D

And Fidgeter, you're right about the repops. They are cool enough, but they don't have the same charm of a vintage piece. Like repops of most anything, there's just something "off" about them. The old ones seem to have more "sparkle", better chrome, and the colors are just "better" somehow. It's all in the little details.

Now post some pics!

14. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Come on, I know there's more. Where's all the collectors at? :D

15. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Here's my gold Cragar found at the swap meet. It must have been for a boat as it has 4 mounting holes. Anybody verify this?

Attached Files:

16. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Just went to the shop and dug this one out. I thought it was green, but turned out to be blue. Don't know if this is the original box, but the wheel was in it when I got it. The plastic's in great shape, but has some pits in the chrome. It's a 15" wheel. The mounting kit is not complete.

Attached Files:

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Thought they were too funky back in the 70's. Lookin hard for a red one now.

18. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I have a Turquiose Superior 500 15" that the grip is perfect but has a little pitting in the chrome. I found it driving thru my brothers nieghborhood on garbage night. One mans garbage another mans treasure....

hipster likes this.
  19. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

That is an awesome shade of gold! I love the brightness of the color. Totally killer!

20. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Never heard of that particular brand before. It is likely the original box, it looks like the picture on the box anyway. Thanks for sharing.

hipster likes this.
  21. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

The vintage turquoise shades are my favorites along with the vintage golds and greens. There seemed to be lots of variations in the shades of these colors back in the day. I need to see pics! This is a pic thread! Pretty please. :D

22. Muttley

Muttley

I was told my red Cragar in post #4 was for a Corvair, it also has four holes.

23. eric

eric

rad, was trying to figure out what mine was!?? got it in blue, sorry for the crummy picture:eek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. I just hung these up yesterday. Looking for more.

[​IMG]

25. Yes I would and why haven't they?

26. hershambob

hershambob

[​IMG]
    3 black vinals(superior in middle)bronze flake,and a red vinal,have a new moon green flake as well

27. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Here are some of ours(White Brothers). We mounted them on old ski's and still need to mount the others. Mixture of Superior and ??? Also have alot of non metal flake. Sorry for the big pics.. Oh, and this is in our upstairs kitchen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

is the dark green wheel for sale

29. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Not for sale at the moment...

30. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

[​IMG]

Its a 4 hole 15" Turquoise with some "PATINA" (whatever, pitting) in the chrome, but I think it will clean up some. What years where they produced? It is a Superior 500..Sorry for the shitty cell phone pic....