Register now to get rid of these ads!

kind of off topic but need career advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostforawhile, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Great video... one hell of a plane!!! You appear to have your head on straight. I wish you well on whatever path you choose!

2. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Look into Solar Panel installs...good luck.

3. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I will tell you this having an education helps in this line of work. It may not be necessary but it helps. Some shops will pay for your education while you work. Might want to check into it.

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I wish I had a video of the one with the Allison turbine taking off, this one is just a little franklin, take the same plane and hang a 400 horse lightweight turbine on the front. they take off nearly vertical. sad to see them go, not many things are built by hand like these anymore, with no automation.

5. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

As much as it hurts me to say....computers are the way to go. They are getting into everything, all businesses, all homes all schools.....that is the direction we're headed. It will always be a necessity, N,S,E or W.... spring summer, winter or fall. A/C life can go on without it. With too much relying on computers these days, check into a computer field where you could feel comfortable. I think the computer world is atleast 50/50 blue and white collar.........best of luck.

6. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

What ever you do, good luck. It seems like if you are the least bit mech inclined you would want the HVAC road.....the only thing the computers are good for is the HAMB!

If you think you want to get out to SoCal for some work forward me your resume. There are departments in the company I work for that you may qualify for. We also pay for schooling for work related stuff (A&P, etc.). Defense looks better and better with no shortage of shitheads that need killin in our world....

7. Best thing would be to find a company down there that needs people to weld, build, assemble, etc.-anything having to do wit the warsin Iraq, Afganista, etc. LOOK FOR A COMPANY THAT HAS SECURED A GOVERNMENT CONTRACT, TO BUILD VEHICLES, ETC.

8. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

I disagree. When I was in college they graduated 100 computer networking guys every semester. My brother got laid off from his IT job and hasnt found work in 6 months because they will hire a guy fresh out of college at half what he was making.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I concur with Joedoh. I had 15 years in the IT industry when I got the boot (2003). Haven't been able to find work in it since. Today I saw a listing for entry level field repair technicians (drive your own car, everywhere) that paid $10.00/hr. It required a C.S. degree and 2-3 years of experience.

$10.00/hr. is what I made doing that same job, in 1993.

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think I'm going to go back into the industrial electronics and motor controls, I have a natural skill for knowing how to make it all work and i've been messing with it as a hobby for nearly 19 years, actually since I was a kid, way longer then 19 years , plus two years of school in 90-91, computers may run everything even in what factories remain, but someone has to know how to set those up, and be able to allow the computer to operate the motors and other mechanical and electromechanical items. and someone has to be able to fix it, I have the ability to look at a motor control setup and visualize all the logic in my head, if It's easy for me to do i might as well make a living at it. it would be a really easy transition over to hvac too since so much of it is computer controlled today.

11. helimx

helimx
    from Wasilla AK

There were some really long replies, so I didn't read all of them, but I'll ad my .02.
    Are you an A&P? I know Boeing has a pretty big gig going on in South Carolina. Try calling a "contract house'' to get some aviation production work. Plane techs, Aerotek, A.M.P.M. etc.
    most pay pretty well, and if you're a contractor you can have a better choice of scheduling.
    I'm an A&P, and I'm not real happy with my company at the moment. I've been debating on going on contract. I work out in the field alot now, and even though I'd be further away from home, I'd get more time with my family when I decide to take a break and come home. AND I'd be making MUCH better money.
    I wish you luck.

12. helimx

helimx
    from Wasilla AK

BTW, a LOT of production jobs don't require an A&P, which you probably already know, but just thought I'd say it just in case.

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I'm not an a&P i know more about making a specific part then about the entire airplane, I have done other parts too, it just sucks they are in such bad shape , a lot of people there are like family to me. it's a place where I can wander in even late at night a lot of times and machine something for my car if I need too, then sit in the kitchen and BS with David Maule for a while, There are very few places like that left in the world. A lot of ghosts there for me, good friends who worked there most of their lives and then passed on. I think it's best to just go back to school then to get back into the aircraft industry.

14. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

I was laid off from my computer job in June of 08. Had been with the same company for 14 years and in the IT field for 22. Most companies I've talked to since want years of experience, a list of certificates and you to be happy with 11 to 14 an hour. I can go pump gas for 9 an hour, not have to drive my car 50k to 60k miles a year and pager/cell calls all hours of the night and weekend. Stay away from the computer field is my vote..:eek:

15. The Untied State Army is hiring and thei ain't laying off

16. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

If you ask me, getting into computers are like the following career choices:

VCR repair Beta and VHS
    Tape recorder servicing
    Type writer sales
    Cathode Ray tubes (Picture Tubes)
    TV antenna sales and installation
    Pez distributor
    Beanie Baby retailer

In 20 years what will be around wherein the technology will not have changed that much. With computers you will need to be on the top of the Technical and Software changes constantly for the rest of your career, does that interest you?

But most of all do something you really find rewarding.

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

OutThere, you've been a great HAMBer and showed what you're made of. Recession-proof work is desirable, of course, and it sounds as though HVAC in YOUR area is as good as it gets AND somehting you could take some satisfaction in (not to mention helping people with a much-needed service). Doesn't take long to train for, and you could STILL pursue the motor-controls dream. My son is an electrician with most of his certs, and he's been out of work for months. Staring at the wall kills him, and he's SERIOUSLY looking at HVAC -- 'cause people need that almost as much as they need groceries! I wish I were only 37. Keep your hopes and spirits up, man. With you earnest attitude and work ethic, YOU WILL make it.