Register now to get rid of these ads!

stick welding body panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indygasser, Jan 11, 2010.

1. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

it can be done, but its about as good of an option as choosing a spatula to eat your cereal.

2. nutajunka

nutajunka

You can buy really cheap migs nowadays, they usually come with a roll of flux core thats because they don't have the gauges and you don't have to buy a bottle. I used the flux core wire a long time ago just to use it up before I put gas on the machine and it welded sheetmetal fine, just had more splatter and a white chalky film around the weld. I would not do it now, because I have the right set up. Tell your wife or girlfriend it's your birthday and you need a welder...:D

3. Donnda

Donnda

The MIG makes it easy and clean. They are so cheap now that every home shop should have one. The stick welder still has a place in a home shop. Do yourself a favor and splurge for a MIG.
    Donn

4. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i've never done it, or ever seen it done for that matter. if that's all you got then it really don't leave you much choice. probably can be done, but i would'nt even attempt it without practicing on some scraps before you have at it. good luck.

5. sloppy_J

sloppy_J

hah hah ha

6. nail-head

nail-head

I wouldn't have done it even when I was welding with sticks every day, day after day.

I would have used gas when migs weren't commonly available and cheap.

7. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

I tried this method several years ago. You can make 1/16" rod work but I'm not sure you'd want to bother.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Learned to gas weld sheet metal. Never did it enough to become really proficient at it but welded in rocker patches and tailpan patches on my old 48 plymouth coupe with good success.