Register now to get rid of these ads!

rings rusted and engine wont turn. ad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fts55, Jan 21, 2010.

1. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

Gentleman I need some advice. I have a 55 Chevy with a stock v8. When you try to start it the crankshaft tries to turn a little but nothing else happens which leads me to believe that the rings have rusted and seized on one or more cylinders. Marvel and seafoam have not helped. What do you guys think about pouring vinegar, muratic acid, or CLR down the intake? Transmission fluid? All suggestions wanted, would like to keep this original engine in the car!

2. sloppy_J

sloppy_J

try turning the engine over by hand first instead of trying to start it..... if it is stuck id suggest removing the spark plugs and mix up some tranny fluid/deisel/berrymans. pour it through the plug holes and let it set. i damn sure wouldnt use any kind of acid!

3. The key phrase here is "the crankshaft tries to turn a little...". This tells me that there is something broken which allows the crank to turn a little, but then stops it. If the pistons were well and truly stuck, the crank would not move even a little. If a rod were broke, the crank might move a little, but it would stop quickly. You are going to have to tear this down, or revise your description of the problem.

Also, once rings are stuck (rusted), the cylinder walls are shot, and need boring. You may end up getting the car started, but it will burn oil like a 100,000 mile Vega. IF it doesn't subsequently break the rings. Oh, sod that, if it breaks the rings, it'll just burn MORE oil.

Cosmo

4. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

You might have some locked up valves.

5. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

...burn oil like a 100,000 mile Vega. Killer quote!

6. MillerLite

MillerLite

I had a similar issue on my friends 454, I had the covers off and injected a mix of Diesel and tranny fluid ( same mix I used to run on my Chevy C2500 ) everywhere I could the thing drank a whole lot. Left the engine indoors for a couple of days and them carefully turned after some horrid noises, it cleaned up well, and the damn thing still runs this day. Diesel lubricates and tranny fluid has detergents to clean. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Might be repeating what other members said just though of putting my 2 cents in. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Good luck!!!

7. Pour evaporust in every orifice possible flush with oil a few times.

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

take it apart at least pull the heads, I'm willing to bet, this is what you'll find, and there is no way to get it out w/o damaging a valve. It is cheaper to fix it now than after forcing it and breaking parts.

9. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Never use acid. But, use whatever concoction of oils and magic solutions you like to free the engine. Not positive, but the original 265 lacked in the oil filtration department. Most relyed on a bolt-on filter near the thermostat housing. After its free, tear it down and rebuild it. Just something to think about.

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

100,000 mile vega????????
    Has that ever been used in a sentence before?

11. williebill

williebill

Urban legend

12. try and turn the motor over counter clockwise and that might tell you if you have physical obstruction.

13. narlee

narlee

100,000 mile Vega = oxymoron

14. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FTS55...the best thing to do is pull the heads. and if you don't know how, then get someone who doe's what is needed here is a mechanic...POP.