Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Inline" 4 barrel carburetor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Feb 1, 2007.

1. john56h

john56h

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

3. Ford used something along those lines on the Big Block Boss, or maybe it was the Super Cobra Jet :confused:. I don't know if they were ever really available to the public.

It looks cool, I don't recall how well the older ones worked but they weren't around long if that's any indication.

If I wanted something really off the wall and had money to burn I'd look at a Bill Mitchel injectorator. Not trad but it is a modern mechanical injection and fully streetable/adjustable.

4. mustangsix

mustangsix

Ford had an Autolite inline 4bbl designed for the Trans Am engines. I have seen pics of a pair of these mounted on Boss 429's. Rare and pricey.

[​IMG]

5. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Ford came out with them in 69-70 the set up was called a Cross Boss. Meet a guy back in the day that had a "duel Cross Boss" set up on his Boss 302 69 Mustang. He worked for Ford in R&D. If you can find it, I'm sure it's BIG $$$$. I don't know if they were ever turned loose to the public, cant remember, to old!.

6. Brian S

Brian S

I got lucky a few years ago and picked up an Inline Autolite for less than $600. It flows 1425CFM and is truely a "Ford" carb since the venturi spacing is 4.38", the same as the bore spacing of a SBF.

Sorry, it's not for sale.

You can read about the new BG inline in the March, 07 PHR magazine. Retail is said to be $1795.

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've sent them a couple messages (none returned so far) asking if they'd sell just the carb...seems like it'd be relatively easy to adapt to SBF EFI intake, or a blower, or...

Yes, the Cross Boss - truly impressive - had a friend who had one - been a looong time since I saw it - was the top interchangeable? So you could have either single or dual? Fuzzy memories..

8. Brian S

Brian S

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Do you realize that this thread is almost three years old?

Check with:

http://www.barrygrant.com

10. "Do you realize that this thread is almost three years old?"

Yes, but is kool!
    Reading this made me think of has anyone used Weber 48IDA or up to 70? that now are out there used? Hooked end to end as in a lot of "stock" applications? Seems like that could be kool for a dual 4 intake or eben a tunnel rams for that injected look. On top of a supercharger even? Carb guys, we need input? carbking? CFM equivelent numbers?

11. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

it looks like an intake for a Honda or something .....foreign? I hope it is at least made in AMERICA!

12. Search ebay.de for "Weber vergasser". Some Porsches had inline three barrel webers and they can be bought reasonable. 911s Porsches I think.
    Don

13. jklhill

jklhill
    from Fresno, CA

I have a [FONT=border=]D0ZX 9510A 875cfm version if you or anyone else is interested. I purchased it new and it has never been installed on anything. Contact me for details if you like.

[/FONT]

14. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

I would hate to see that price tag......if memory serves me that carb was used on the GT-40's......

15. dadseh

dadseh

A guy on another site has these hangin on his wall in the shed!!!!!

Attached Files:

16. jklhill

jklhill
    from Fresno, CA

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

They were definitely used in the Trans Am series on Boss 302s.

18. al8apex

al8apex

and here is an unused vintage original one obtained from the Estate liquidation of Holley chief development Engineer A. S. Lucas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they are even neater in person ...

now how do I hook this up to my 34 Ford flathead V8? :)

[​IMG]

19. rallisracing

rallisracing

I worked in Ford parts when these carbs came out...The Dealer sponsored a Boss 302 Pinto with two Inlines on it...they sold for 178.00 each if memory serves me right..I have some friends near here who still have the Cross Boss intake and inline carbs.they look like new...big $$ and rare...and they work..

20. Weasel

Weasel

There were two models of the Autolite in-line: P/N D0ZX-9510A flowing 850 cfm and D0ZX-9510B flowing a whopping 1425cfm. The smaller one was intended for the Boss 302 in Trans Am, hence the development of the Corss-Boss intake. The larger one was intended for the Boss 429. Intake manifolds of the 'bathtub type were also available from Holman & Moody for the 429 and Bud Moore for the Boss 302 and the 351C. Ford also produced n experimental 351C bathtub two piece intake for the 351C and I acquired this peice from Jack Roush around 1977. These carburetors used stock street Autolite parts and are the easiest carbs I have ever worked on, but they flow too much for street use.

A few years ago Craig Railsback at BDS machined an injector plate which he sandwiched between the carburetor and the Cross-Boss intake, converting the setup to EFI.

I have seen one of the larger B model Autolites used with a Hilborn 4 port scoop on a street driven 6-71 blown Willys coupe that came out of Sacramento.

21. al8apex

al8apex

22. Deuces

Deuces

Oh, wow...... :)

23. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Last time I went to the ford nats in Carlisle (few years ago), I saw 3 different vendors with cross boss/intakes and carbs in the swap meet. I had never seen one in person before, then 3 different guys had them there, one vendor had 3 himself. Pretty neat pieces of equipment

24. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

This is the story I was told by someone who was there: Most of the Ford Autolite in-line 4 barrel carbs that are out there were originally stolen. The carbs were originally a low volume race piece, but at one point Ford made a batch or them to sell to the public. That entire lot was stolen from the plant in Rawsonville where they were made. Ford didn't make another batch.

The carb body was unique, but the rest of it was mostly off the shelf Autoilite/Motorcraft carb components.

A simiular GM theft incident, the first batch of aluminum blocks GM made for the SB Chevy was stolen semi-trailer and all. GM didn't make more for quite a while. And again, most of the the ones that later turned up for sale were at one time stolen.