Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP!!! 4door hot rod?! yeah or neah?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JoeMan, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Couple things....
    #1 4dr Chevy makes a BAD Hotrod! Makes a better "Bomb".
    #2 We don't speak RATROD hear....maybe you should read a little and realize where you are.

2. 1lowbuckrodder

1lowbuckrodder

ive had mine for over 16 yrs no regrets, extra doors are cool, put the car on the road,

Attached Files:

3. That may be a 34,but not a 39.Check your vin,and why do you think it's a '39 ?

4. 296ardun

296ardun

A guy in my high school ran a 40 chev 4-door, dropped in front, maroon paint, whitewalls, one of the coolest cars in high school, and that was in the '60s when more-doors were not supposed to be cool....4-door it!!

5. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

Go for it!!! Chilly 1 has a bad ass ride and look at Bo Huffs Dixi delux that's a four door. So is my Fairlane. Rock it!!! The Theo has spoken!

6. roddinron

roddinron

Ah hell, I'm just gonna let him^ do all my typing from now on.:D

7. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Rod that more door!!!

8. Greasy64

Greasy64

Traditional hot rod site talking about rodding fourdoors? WTF? I'm pretty sure back in the day (pre '65 on the HAMB) when you rolled into a drive-in or the drags with a modified moredoor it was referred to as your Mom's car anyway. Yes they are cheaper to buy. There are good reasons. They're heavier, and in most cases uglier.
    Take shifty's advice, Don't spend a lot of dough on one. Make it run well and drive the wheels off it!

9. skoh73

skoh73

Yeah on the 4dr. As long as you're not in it to make a ton of money, have fun and do what you want- that's what I'm doing. I finally got enough $ to get into the game; I've loved old cars (and everything else old- except my girlfriends) since I was a kid. I got a great, solid, stocker with a VERY nice original interior, 65k on the flattie, for under 5k. Does it bug me that it has 4drs? Nope.

Do what you can with what you can afford.

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

If everyone took my advice it would be a very bland world of classic cars, and we sure wouldn't want that. End of the day you gotta follow your heart. Good luck!

11. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I drive a 4dr. and enjoy every miniute of it. Its driving the car not what you drive, you learn this with age.

Attached Files:

12. solo_909

solo_909

Read my Signature! It says it all = )

13. roddinron

roddinron

Kind of a strange sig for a guy called solo ain't it?
    Anyway, my friends are all so happy to be with me, they don't mind the slight inconvenience of climbing into the back of a 2 door. Then they feel so cool back there, they all say it was well worth the effort.:D

14. RDR

RDR

15. jerry sezar

jerry sezar

I grew up??? at a time when 4 door's wern't cool, but that was when I only had to drive from San Leandro to San Jose, about 30 miles to buy '34 coupe's, sedans,and vicky's for around $300 dollars each. Times have changed and I'm seeing things in the hobby I never would have imagined. We recently finished a '37 Buick 406 chevy, Richmond 5 spd, 9" Ford 4 door, '49 Buick Super Jasper 350 stageII 4L60e, 12 bolt 4 door and even thou my business logo is RHRASNF...Real Hot Rods Are Steel No Fenders.........I'm personally building a '56 Ford 4 door with a blown Chrysler Hemi/Turbo 400/ Ford, 8" chop, straight axle, rear mounted radiator, bagged rear, welded skirts, etc.....so, I guess you can make a 4 door hot rod. Get going!

16. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. turney33

turney33
    from pasco,wa

cut er up, just keep it 4d.

18. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

A lot of guys had 4doors and it is amazing how good they look by just shaving the rear door handles off and leaving the front handles on.Kind of draws your eyes away from the second door and makes the car look longer. My .02 worth

19. Well this has been a hotrod/streetrod/whatever since 1971.........nothing wrong with 4drs........andyd

Attached Files:

20. Wow, I got a 31 more door Model A I was getting self conscious about until this thread. Thanks for saving me a trip to the shrink!!!!!

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

in terms of traditional style, 4 doors are not traditional hot rods. they are still bad ass though. don't fool yourself though and try to rod it, it will never be a hot rod. and please, oh please don't mention the "r" word.
    i personally like all old cars, traditional or not, as long as they're done tastefully.

22. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

A chopped '39 4-door Chevy certainly could be very cool if done right. Maybe being a 4-door, it wouldn't look it's best built up to look like a gasser or vintsge drag car, but certainly, done as as cruisier, it could be bithchin.and 'cats ass' cool!. I'd paint it a dark and fairly conservative color, de-chrome it a bit, (or a lot), tint the windows as dark as I could legally get away with, add a few custom touches (- ie- frenched power antenna(s) and tailights, remove the rain gutters, fill the body seams and add rolled front and rear pans, etc) slam the suspension (bags maybe?) and fill
    the wheelwells up with some fairly fat, large diameter wide whites on steel wheels with Moon disks and go cruising in
    style! :)

Mart3406
    ====================================

23. LabRat

LabRat

Wow ..... A lot to said about paying attention here .....

Let's see some pic's of your 39 ...
    4 doors can be cool ....

Oh yeah and a reply would probably stop the masses going crazy ...

24. Yeah mine too, except their usually so drunk that they need a door to get back out cause they forgot how they got in.:D

25. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

I like my 4dor.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

A cool car is about the execution, not the number of doors.

27. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

When there were real Gearheads that drove there cars every day .
    Not only on weekends or nice days only.Now everyone uses the excuse i have kids i need a 4 door.Gearheads back then had kids and still drove 2 doors.Todays Kids Lol Wow Kippy look at my 4 door Hotrod.Yeah Just how they did it in the old days.

28. JoeMan

JoeMan

Wowsers! Thanx for all the replies. Didn't expect this much response. My apologies on the language. Mother always said that was a problem:eek: Aside from a few mixed reviews, an overwhelming response to keep it a four door. Agreed that the "cruiser" look is super cool and after some photo digging, moon caps with whities looks stellar. While it's been proven a 4dr can be a hot rod, I think they look good as other peoples rods. As spelled out in the first post, wasn't sure what to do, but I knew it had potential. I'm goin' cruiser and saving the rod for another day. Thanx again.

29. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Every time I see that it reminds me of a fat chick in spandex.

I can still tell it's a 4 door.

30. For me, it's a no brainer, I don't have to get out, to let you in.