Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadrace cars... vintage, nostalgia, historic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Here's one built in the 40's by Jack McAfee & Ford Robinson (who died in the Mexican/American Road Race 1949) and it's current look as it is on www.race-cars.com where it is for sale.

Attached Files:

2. olerascal

olerascal

Now that right there is freakin' AWESOME!

3. noboD

noboD

Welcome to the HAMB, Buford. At least 2 or 3 of your pics appear to have been taken at Hershey Hillclimb.

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Leonidas, Pebble Beach

[​IMG]

5. I don't know how I missed this thread; but here's my little mongrel four banger, that disgruntles the "Bug" drivers; and worries the Alfas. All these particular shots were taken at Laguna Seca Raceway, during the Monterey Historic Automobile Races. "Dawg":D

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Cool car old dawg, love that middle shot, that sucker is flying thru the corner. Good for you for driving it like it should be driven.

7. boldventure

boldventure

I've been going to the Historics at Laguna Seca for a few years. Good to know a HAMBer is among 'em!
    Do you plan to be there this year? If you're there this year I'll be sure to stop by!

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Absolutely awesome... thanks... any more pics?... details on the car?

9. Warbird7

Warbird7

That car has a TON of history. It is a custom bodied 1930's MG. Beautiful.

10. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://tinypic.com/i/input.swf" style="" id="flash-html-code" bgcolor="transparent" quality="high" name="flash-html-code" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" swliveconnect="true" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="ipt=%5BIMG%5Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fi50.tinypic.com%2F2u5x89j.jpg%5B%2FIMG%5D&trk=copy_details_img" height="19" width="262"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://tinypic.com/i/input.swf" style="" id="flash-html-code" bgcolor="transparent" quality="high" name="flash-html-code" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" swliveconnect="true" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="ipt=%5BIMG%5Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fi50.tinypic.com%2F2u5x89j.jpg%5B%2FIMG%5D&trk=copy_details_img" height="19" width="262">[​IMG]

Rodger Ward's Kurtis Kraft Offy midget spankin' sporty car butt at the 1959 Lime Rock Formula Libre race. :http://www.barcboys.com/LimeRock TheRace.htm

11. Thanks for the sensory overload, ya fargin bastage.
    What really has me PO'd...is that I missed it a month ago when you originally posted it.
    We'll see if I can make it to the end before bedtime. On page 11 as of 8pm

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LOL, it's good reading... and looking... :D

13. A bit like his three time F1 world champion predecessor, Sir Jack Brabham. Sir Jack started out in midgets, becoming a champion there with a home made engine.
    An accomplished engineer, & the only one to become a world champ in a car of his own building.

p.s; On a humbler note..

Attached Files:

14. [​IMG]

My buddy is restoring a Bizzarini like this....

15. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  16. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

[​IMG]

This has to be one of the greatest sounding race cars ever.

Jon

17. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

You have to like the inovation and quality of these cars . What a nice change of pace .thanks for a great thread.

18. Now THAT'S drifting!!

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

19. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Love the chunks coming off the tires.

That feller is a hustlin' that little guy.

The bias plys are not amused.

20. Thanks for the interest in my little #32 car. It's a Miller-Schofield/Ford. It's really, more of a recreation, rather then an orignal, in that it's builder, Craig Lillywhite, put it together out of debris of a wrecked racecar. The frame, a 1928/29 Essex, and panels, were hammered out by Dennis Webb of Anaheim, California. Dennis also banged out the panels of Bad Bob's beautiful Riley Special, seen elsewhere in this thread. Images and info on my car have been posted on several threads, for the last few years, on this site. However, they bear repeating here.
    The engine is based on a Ford four banger, topped by an OHV Miller Hi-Speed cylinder head, modified and overhauled by Harry Woulters' Performance Machine in San Luis Obispo. Lillywhite fabricated a dual intake manifold, holding two Stromberg 97's, those of which, I have routinely overhauled by Jere Jobe. In 2004/05, this particular engine (I've gone through more than one) was built by Jay Steel, an his crew at Taylor Engine in Whittier. Dema Elgin, Elgin Engineering of Redwood City, designed and built the cam; and Joe Panek, Roto-Faze of Torrance, did the crank. Below the crankcase, is combination dry sump - oil reservor of my own design. That's the reason the pan looks soo deep. It's got a single stage, external oil pump. The car is very, very fast.
    I have raced the car, often, in many of the vintage races on the West Coast, since 2003. This year, I've submitted my request for an invitation to the following events:
    March 5th-7th, The Route 66 Classic at The Auto Club Speedway
    (formerly the Calif. Speedway) Fontana. With the Vintage Auto Racing Association (VARA)
    May 1st - 2nd, The British Extravaganza, Buttonwillow
    Raceway (west of Bakersfield) with VARA
    Spectator admission to VARA events is
    $10.00 for an all weekend pass
    June 4th - 6th Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival at
    Infineon Raceway, Sears Point
    August 13-15 The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion
    formerly the Monterey Historic
    Automobile Races, at Laguna Seca
    October 1-3 The Classic Sports Racing Group Charity
    Challenge Races
    The car has been chosen to be put in the Grand National Roadster Show.
    In addition, we'll make
    appearances at ovals
    with the Western
    Racing Association
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] With regard to my racing abilities, I started racing when I was sixteen, quit 6 years later; and began again (with this car) in 2003, when I was sixty-four. Madness!

21. SUPERSTOCKGALAXIE

SUPERSTOCKGALAXIE
    from ASHLAND OH

The only 4-door holman moody built.used over seas for roadracing.a lightweight 4-door!!!

Attached Files:

22. You've posted an amazing collection of vintage road racing photos. I'm lovin' em!
    Keep em' coming.....:D

23. moTthediesel

moTthediesel

Here's Leonidas back in the day --

"Around the Houses Race" Alexandria Bay NY -- 1939 I think?

Monticello corner --

[​IMG]

24. The Stickman

The Stickman

I love road racing. Here are some pics I have collected over the years. If ya want more just ask.
    [​IMG]
    Offy Drake
    [​IMG]
    Mercedes/Chevy special
    [​IMG]
    Kurtis 500X2 Pontiac
    [​IMG]
    Jag/Chevy Special
    [​IMG]
    Jag D-type Chevy special
    [​IMG]
    Corvette special
    [​IMG]
    Campbell Chevy special
    As you can see there were quite a few "Specials" running around mostly on the west coast scene. There was also a Midget that beat a bunch of very high end cars at Lime Rock in the Formula Libre race Driven by Roger Ward

26. The Stickman

The Stickman

27. boldventure

boldventure

The era of the "specials" is one of my favorties! Gotta love the whitewalls too!

28. Race Artist

Race Artist

Stickman ... In the 1950's and into the very early 1960's there were Specials all over the country. Some were very basic and others very sophisticated. It was a great era. Thanks for posting these really great pictures. The ones that we've all not seen in magazines are the best. Much appreciated.
    Joel

29. Santaji

Santaji

From Popular Mechanics March 1952:
    [​IMG]
    the whole article here
    Anybody got any more pics/info on this?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  30. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

That car looks like it is pissed off!