Register now to get rid of these ads!

drive in restaurants...where are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bfairlane, Jan 19, 2010.

1. bfairlane

bfairlane
    from minnesota

We love to go to Wagner's...all year round. Brooklyn Park, MN Great burgers, great service...all summer Jim has a Monday Night Car Show with food specials. Stop in if you can!:D

[​IMG]

2. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Back in the 50's and 60's, Sivils, in Dallas was THE drive in. Now folks go to smaller places, like Dairyette, Kellers, etc...

3. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Princess in Houston was for me as good as it gets. They are all gone now. Damn that was a mean burger!

4. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

The 410 Drive In, Clarkston Wa. real milk shakes (not shake base) home made curly fries
    hasn't been remodeled for decades. Its perfect.
    And Its still there

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010

5. bfairlane

bfairlane
    from minnesota

I am trying again with the picture this time. Can't figure out how to make it bigger...

Attached Files:

• 040.jpg
      040.jpg
      File size:
      417.4 KB
      Views:
  6. 76ironhead

76ironhead

By me there is doggie diner formerly swonys they have a cruise night every other weekend, back in the day when it was swonys if you dident get there by 6:00 you dident get a parking place now they are lucky to get 15 cars.

7. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Sycamore Bethel Ct Saturday Marcus Dairy Chatterbox Augusta NJ Saturday
    In the summer either one s good

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

They closed the one at 59 & Weslyan?:eek: It wasn't a drive-in, but the burgers were still good.

9. 41 C28

41 C28

Here is a photo of the grand opening of the "Country Kitchen" in Middletown, Ohio.

Attached Files:

10. I think the only real drive-in in central New York is the A&W in South Cortland. I try to stop there every time I'm going through town.

11. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

12. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

If you ever get to Milwaukee, WI you will find THE NITE OWL DINER, it has been here since 1948!
    I heard that every summer a buch of fags have a car show there too!
    Real old timey stuff.
    Anyway, great food, killer place, pure American History.
    THE NITE OWL DINER, 830 East Layton Ave I do believe.

Sincerely,
    Cheatercarl

13. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I used to go to the Wagner's drivein in St. Louis Park, but haven't been there for several years. Last year it was sold and remodeled, and is supposed to be a hot place to go; I'll have to try it out this summer.​

14. barnescole

barnescole

chatterbox looks fun, gonna try to get up there when it warms up.

15. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Bob,

I love Wagners as well. Best burgers and malts in town ! I hope to make it there some Monday night this summer.

The picture look great. You need to double click on them and they are full size.

Doug

16. LOWMOTIONCARCLUB

LOWMOTIONCARCLUB
    from auburn, wa

17. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

I'm not sure I ever knew about that one. My father and I always went to the one on Cullen (scary at night lol) or the one on Main. I left Houston in '98 so I'm not too in the know, but I thought all they had left was sandwiched in some sort of plaza which for me just sounded like it wouldn't be the same.
    p.s. what is in that secret sauce???

18. RatRoy

RatRoy

The Sonic in Tulsa Oklahoma, Saturday nights in the summer. :)

Attached Files:

19. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

It is long gone but the Sun drive in on Central ave in Minneapolis Mn had the best burgers ever.

20. Kerry67

Kerry67

Is "The Spot" still open in Kenosha, Wisconsin ? I used to love going there.

21. CharGrill on Atlantic in Raleigh, NC. Think it's on the first Saturday or something like that!?!?

22. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

23. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FAIRLANE...yea Dirtjohn is right about PRINCE'S drive inn's in houston TX. but he and i migrated to SONIC'S in 1984. hell brother we still hangout there...POP.

24. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

....complete with miniature golf next door!

25. BBobb

BBobb

Here's a couple my mom and pops swore by when we were kids coming up in Houston.Both are still open till this day,however the winds of change have blown by them.Great memories and some darn good times with family

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Kramer

Kramer

Jimmy's Classic Drive In here in Grants Pass used to have the best burgers. They had some 30 to choose from, all good. Then last summer it was sold, its crap now. Why is it that when someone buys a place that is awesome they have to change things?:(

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

The last Doggie Diner is by the Zoo in San Francisco. Not sure how true to the old chain it is though. Doggie sign blew over a few years ago. Owners wanted to remove it but the neighbors raised such a ruckus that they had to put it back up.
    Another Doggie story. As the diners went out of business in the '80s and '90s people started buying up the dogs. They were maybe 8-10 feet tall fiberglass. Howdy Ledbetter got one. A guy in Alameda bought one and put it in his back yard. The neighbor took him to court because he didn't like it sticking up over the fence. The neighbor lost so the owner just turned it around and now it is eternally looking at the neighbor and he can't do anything about it.
    There is still a Mels Drive In on Geary in S.F. Still good burgers and crowded all the time.
    The Yellow Cab drive in is on El Camino Real in San Mateo. I took it a few years ago. Not sure if it is still in business.

Attached Files:

28. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

29. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Collinsville Drive In in Brogue,Pa.
    Located On #74 between Red lion and Delta,Pa. 15 mins. from Maryland state line (Md.#165 turns into Pa.#74 at the Md./Pa. line)
    Great burgers and fries made with real potatoes.Everything they have is great!!!
    Soft ice cream too... Eat inside or outside.Tables in the shade or sun outside...

Steve