Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Paint Suggestions for my 50 Chevy...Roth Flake Madness???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dimebag, Jan 19, 2010.

1. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Hey Guys, it's been a long Winter, and I've had way too much time on my hand thiniking about the final outcome for my 50 Deluxe. I have gone through every spectrum of the color wheel from flat black with a slime green roof, burgundy/cream, sage green/ivory, lite blue pearl/white-all the lighter colors on top. But I have been thinking of going totally off the deep-end and painting the body silver and going with Roth Blu Balls Flake on the roof and wheels or Salt Flats w/ wide whites. I really love the look of the heavy flake and it will go with the late 50's early 60's look I'm going for. I have a couple of questions and been using the search engine lots, but still am unsure. First with the Roth Flake do I need to base coat the roof to get a more even coating, or true color. Also I am looking at spraying the car in acrylic lacquer, but will I kill myself with the build-up of material. I have sprayed lacquer before and love the deapth of the paint and it's still fairly easy to spray, and TCP global has the materials I will need, so not a problem there. Also have I really lost my freakin' mind here or is this a good look, I love the fact that even though I have only had the car a short time, it is usually 1 of 1 or 2 at the shows I go to locally. Once in a blue moon I might find another 49-53 at the shows, but they have hydraulics and curb feelers...so I am in a class of my own. I would like something that is not the everyday norm, but not so crazy that I can't stand to look at the thing after 6 months. Any and all help is always appreciated, and I need to decide a color combo before I put the new motor in the car, I would like to make this look like I had a clue before starting. Thanks again!!

2. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Just in case somebody wanted a bigger pic, the skirts are back on, I have a small antenna in the hole, tri-bar headlights and a little bit cleaner. Thanks Again!!

Attached Files:

3. Sixshooter44

Sixshooter44
    from Chicago

Good to see another joliet guy on here, as for the paint let the flake fly.

4. mac762

mac762

I think you should do a nice stock repaint, that blue with white is classic. Maybe put a little flake in it, don't make it like a bass boat. Get some wide whites and some chrome reverse wheels. You'll like it a lot longer if you make it simple.
    Is the car mechanically sound and how you want it to turn out to be? It's a lot easier to get that stuff out of the way before you get your shiney paint. Just a few of my thoughts. Nice car BTW. Josh.

5. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Random, but Joliet is the place I stayed when I flew out to Chicago. Go IL! I say get crazy with the colors! You could do a solid color on the body, and then the same color as a flake on the roof! If you don't like it you can always strip and re-paint....

6. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

I agree, keep the blue with the white top but flake the top. Wide whites and maybe some spider caps and you will have a classic look that will set you apart but not too far apart.

7. How ya doin man, I like the color the way it is. Is the paint bad on it? When are you plannin on swappin the motor?

8. Well, I'm all for flake! The Salt Flats and WWs are no good for the era that you're shooting for though. Like one guy said, steel wheels and spiders, or Truespokes, or reversed Cragars.

9. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

NOT SO SURE...about the dimebag thing? but whatever color or flake you chose, i hope you lose the skirts and sun viser. i don't usualy say these things, but in this case i surely will!...POP.

10. BrandonG

BrandonG

I am agreeing with Mac here. Keep it simple. If you have doubts now, they will expand later. Especially if you are not in the lowrider thing. The heavy flake will put you into their arena, In looks anyway.

I was thinking the same thing when painting my wagon. I am sticking to the two tone classic look with some striping.

Good look and good looking ride.

11. im not a fan of silver, looks a bit foose for me but its your ride. heavy flake rocks my world so i say go for it. the best thing about paint is its easy to change if you dont like it.
    a friend once said whenever he felt like getting a new car, hed just repaint his driver. hes a cheap bastard like me! lol.

12. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

I am just bouncing ideas around, the motor is slated to go in this Spring, soon as engine enamel will dry. I am just unsure of the "right" color combo, I am not really digging the daytona blue and dirty white thats on the car right now. And yes the skirts and visor will stay!!!! I will probably stay with the steels and add a little chrome(caps, beauty rings & spyder rings), I m just looking for the color combo that will not be annoying, dated or redundant. As for the Dimebag thing, I am a huge Pantera fan, hell I dont even drink-much less what you might be thinking. Please keep the opinions coming, I think that its about tied for simple white/lite blue vs. blue balls flake/silver. Thanks again!!

13. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Oh yeah mechanically its kinda screwed up, but I have a fresh full pressure 235, and PG rear-end to get this beast back on the road. Besides that it still needs everything....but I am trying to take it on one thing at a time, and I will want to paint/detail the engine compartment when the clanky old 216 gets pulled, and I am thinking that will be a great time to re-wire the car, and lower and sort out any suspension problems. Thanks Again!!! in case anybody was wondering the little pic makes the old Maaco paint job look about 1000 times better than it really is, some folks at the Hunnert 09 might have seen it!!

14. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Keep the blue and white theme. Blue body with a heavy metallic (not flake) and white roof with abalone flake. (white, pearly, silvery flake) Nobody else will have it and it accomplishes the loud but not obnoxious look I think you're after.

15. mac762

mac762

Like someone already said, "Don't "Foose"", up your ride with silver. Well they didn't exactly say that, but that's what I got out of it.
    I like the blue and white, I'm sure you would too once it's really shiney. Put some subtle flake in there and if no chrome wheels, maybe try white with chrome nuts, and dust caps? I like the pinner whitewalls too.
    What motor/trans are you going with? What are your plans for that? Any hop-up parts/chrome? What color are you planning for you firewall and engine?
    Like I said, I like your car. I'm not into fenderskirts but it's your ride. I do like the visor.
    Later Josh.

16. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

I am going with a fresh 235, 3 on the tree, and PG rear-end. It will have a chrome valve cover, side cover and air cleaners, Fenton 2 x 1 intake and headers. I would like to figure out the final color combo so that I can paint the firewall to match, and black out the rest. I am diggin the blue w/ abalone top idea, but I have had the car without skirts and it looks better to me with them on. Please keep the great ideas coming, and as always thanks for the help.

17. I Like his idea. My only caution, is if you aren't a good painter, you might not want to tackle the flake. But yes, you would need to lay a base down under the big flake for coverage and to make it look even. I am still in the "deciding" stages of mine as well. That is the toughest thing for me, but I think i have it. On yours, I think it would look good with a light metallic silver-blue with the abalone white flaked roof, and white interior.

18. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Actually it was maybe a moment of madness, honestly I used to be a prepper/painter long time ago & the last time I painted anything was about 18 years ago and I am still confident in my skills and not afraid to give it hell. I am digging the Le Mans type of color, and am intrigued by the abalone pearl top. It does not sound so obnioxious, and something that I can live with for long time. Who sells this product, I saw 2 types on ebay from House of Kolor, does anybody else sell this product and is it relatively simple to paint??? Thanks again.

19. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Any opinions or suggestions???

20. Bighead

Bighead

21. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I PM'd you back already, but HOK flakes are worth the money, believe me.

22. 50 styleline

50 styleline
    BANNED
    from Maryland

Dime,since you have shot Lacquer-that's 70%(MAYBE) of a good database. You will need to buy or borrow a gun that has an automatic agitator in it to keep the LARGE flake suspended. You can try swishing it with your wrist-but forget it.Large flake will require multiple coats of clear-can you say ten coats??heh-heh with wet sanding thrown in.
    MAIN THING IS "How's the front end coming"! I want 2 tons of steel coming at me outside Romeoville under control!! Good Furture Fly