Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone build their own ANVIL? or equivalent?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage44, Jan 15, 2010.

1. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

I have a really ancient piece of railroad track that my grandpa used as an anvil. Not sure where he got it or how he cut it though

2. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Looks like the vote here is railroad track
    And I thought I was unique
    Have had my 24in section for about 35 years
    Works great for what I need it for

Hey has anyone besides me put pennies on the track and watched them get squished
    Fun when I was a kid

3. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

I guess everyone uses pieces of railroad track, haha...

Here's a dolly I made a while back...It could probably be refined some to cut down on weight... I've used it a good bit, but it is a little heavy...

what I started with:
    [​IMG]

after a little work:
    [​IMG]

4. von Dyck

von Dyck

Most of you have a "one track mind"!
    Saw an Israeli mechanic shaping a piece of steel on a well worn in-line cylinder block.
    One of several of my homebrewed anvils is made from the front axle of an Allis-Chalmers tractor. One end is squared off, the other end is bullnosed.

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you can cut rail with a torch

6. Rotobo

Rotobo

I have a old anvil but I use a 18 inch RR track. It's so much easier to move around. Don't remember if the old anvil has a name. I also forgot what it weighed. I think it was around 140, that sound right?
    Rod

7. banditomerc

banditomerc

Very nice!!

8. twofosho

twofosho

Doesn't really matter if YOU think the ENGINEER of a 150 to 200 ton locomotive heading up a string of cars each weighing 25 to over a 100 tons each is nervous. I can guarantee you one thing though... if that ENGINEER is NOT giving you a rapid series of many short blasts of his air horn, you'd better be the one that's nervous, because that means he DOESN'T SEE YOU, and if you don't get the hell out of his way you're DEAD MEAT! If he does blast you with the horn, it means he does see you, you're in his way, and the surface area of the 8 dimes under each one of his cars isn't going to get his train stopped before you're a grease spot. YOU LOSE EITHER WAY!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

My old man made one out of a piece of track before I was born. I used it a thousand times growing up. He still uses it.

10. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

I made one too,out of rail - but the ringing sound is harsh right through the ear plugs

11. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

I worked at a steel company that flame cut up to 10 inch plate and always had remnants left over that could be used for anvil type purposes . I would check with a place like that if there is one in your area . They just throw away the scrap pieces and could be purchased for next to nothing .

12. a little off topic, but funny. check this out.<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IhQ4dE_RGnQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IhQ4dE_RGnQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

------------------------------------
    It'd be even fumier if it had gone straight
    up ....and then come down on his truck!
    Imagine trying to explain that one to the
    insurance company!!!:D

Mart3406
    =======================

14. MichiganJames

MichiganJames

I bought a 18inch piece of RR track that had been modified to be an anvil earlier this summer at a garage sale for $1. It has been doing the job fine so far.

15. What,no one uses their fenders and trunk lids anymore?

16. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

well when i was a kid we used to do that, and to reveal my age, even put pennies on the streetcar tracks. Then later on as young man i worked for the Santa Fe RR as a locomotive fireman, and when working in the roundhouse could really stretch a coin if I ran a locomotive back and forth over it. gggg
    </fang>

17. barry wny

barry wny

855 cummins crank bolted to the flywheel standing in the corner.

18. rustdodger

rustdodger

Smashing pennies on RR tracks? You'll be killed! Leave that to a qualified Engineer! I bought the Fatman penny smashing kit for $2000 and it worked great, save yourself a lot of trouble and go that route.
    </fang>

19. Rotobo

Rotobo

20. junkmonger

junkmonger

Another vote for railroad rail. I've got one out in the garage. It came with the house. The former owner worked on the railroad.

21. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

railroad piece here as well.usin the one my grandpa used.he had it at least 40 years..

22. samurai mike

samurai mike

i didn,t have the cash for the fat man penny smasher so i built a locomotive from scrap and used anvils for track!

23. Fe26

Fe26

That my friend is a Tinsmiths anvil, over here they are quite rare and usually fetch big $$$ because of their superior finish and dimensional accuracy.

24. Rich68

Rich68
    from Warren, CT

Took this idea from an article in Custom Rodder:

Attached Files:

25. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I use a piece of railroad track as well.

Also an old tracor weight. Most are cast but I found an OLD solid steel one. It works great.