Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 302 bolted to a Lincoln AX4N transaxle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gimpdad, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Gimpdad

Gimpdad
    from Waco Texas

I was wondering if my 1957 Ford panel truck could be converted to front wheel drive using my built 302 and a Lincoln AX4N transaxle. This would allow for a lower and flatter floor for wheelchair accessibility.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bolted, no, adapted, maybe. These were a little unreliable until about 1995, or so. Later model ones are electronically shifted, which is another whole can of worms. One from an SHO would likely be strongest, can't remember if those were electronic shift, though. The 302 still might break it.

Lots of careful measuring would be in order, including if this assembly, when together, will fit between the frame rails. And then there is the issue of suspension...

3. mustangsix

mustangsix

The bellhousing is wrong. You'd need some sort of adapter.

Why not just the whole 4.6 V8 drivetrain from a FWD Continental? Not sure, but I think it may actually be mounted to a subframe that might be easier to swap.

[​IMG]

4. EagleFreek

EagleFreek
    from Not Here

I can't answer your question but I've seen airport shuttle buses that have low floors and I think are front wheel drive using a 4x4 transfer case or maybe a modified case and not connecting a rear shaft to it.

5. doctorZ

doctorZ

correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't there an SHO ford taurus that came with a transverse mounted 5.0 for front wheel drive? i'm pretty sure i saw one a while back be might be confused. i know little to nothing about sbf's, but won't the 5.0 bolt to everything the 302 does?

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The SHO only ever had a V6, of Yamaha, Yamaha/Cosworth, and the later Ford designs.

7. tjm73

tjm73

The SHO transmissions were not the same pattern as the 302 bellhousing. The V8 SHO were a whole different engine. Ford never used the 302 in a FWD application that I am aware of.

8. tjm73

tjm73

There were V8 SHO's in 96-99.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shoot, I forgot about those!

10. 58custom

58custom

Yes, a Yamaha V8. Not the SBF.

11. sloppy_J

sloppy_J

yes... 3.4 litre 32v dohc. rated in the neighborhood of 235 hp

12. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

And prone to self destruction around 60K miles.

13. twofosho

twofosho

From Wikipedia for what that's worth but my parenthesis;
    '96 up Taurus SHO used a dual overhead cam 4 valve per cylinder 3.4 60 degree V8, same as the Duratec 2.5 V6 (for the Mondeo and Contour among others) with two additional cylinders, and shares that bellhousing (and probably transaxles). Required welding the cams to the swaged on drive gear keep them from slipping and eating valves causing catastrophic failure.

14. the lincoln fwd sound viable.

15. doctorZ

doctorZ

fair enough and good to know! and here i thought i had something to bring to the table ...

16. I am also in a wheelchair myself, it just seems to me that there are other ways to do this, and possibly the use of lifts and such to avoid this most-likely extremely costly engineering nightmare! What is your injury? I am a T-3-T-4 Para....... Do you drive from your chair?

James