Register now to get rid of these ads!

61-64 impala's - still good looking or overdone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by full foot notch, Jan 15, 2010.

1. full foot notch

full foot notch
    from orlando

was browsing another forum with the initials of LiL , and came across a 64 2dr no post on 14s and hydraulics that was cleanly done and it peaked my interest, but then i noticed that there were a lot of them of those years for sale. would you say that in our older car market that the 61-64 is still a nice vehicle to do or is it "played out" and are now a dime a dozen like todays society with hondas ? id love to post a pic of the car that i saw but dont want to cross any forum rules

2. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

'61-'64 Chevies played out?! Maybe in some circles but overall I'd have to say no way. Around here a decent unbutchered '61-'64 Chevy still brings decent money, they don't show up often and when they do they don't last long. You see a few that are clapped out junk with ridiculous prices that don't sell but the reason for that is pretty obvious. A lot of people have Barrett Jackson Syndrome, they see a nice version of their driveway ornament bring mega-bucks and they think their pile of rust and bondo is made of gold.

3. Tony

Tony

Those year Chevy's are one of my more serious sicknesses.....that being said i know i may be biased.
    But.....I don't think they are any more played out than 32-34 Fords, Model A's etc...
    The're a good looking car that when done right will always be 'in'.
    Common or not they still have style and just like the other's i mentioned some will consider them overdone or boring.. thats what makes the world go 'round.

Just my biased 2 cents worth.

Tony

4. How many in your neighborhood?..thought so.

5. RdnLow63

RdnLow63
    from SoCal 818

Impalas are the sh*t

6. Love'm. I'll take a '62 any day of the week.

7. No Cents

No Cents

In my opinion.... STILL and ALWAYS good looking.

8. Still nice. Just dont put the 24"wheels on 'em like the rappers do lol. Please. haha. Very good looking vehicle.

9. Swifster

Swifster

I'm not a Chevy guy, but I like the '63's.

10. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

I certainly wouldn't call those overdone. Well, maybe as a lowrider but not as a rod. That is one of the best looking body styles that GM ever produced IMHO.

benchseat4speed likes this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

would you say that in our older car market that the 61-64 is still a nice vehicle to do or is it "played out" and are now a dime a dozen like todays society with hondas ?

are you on the right forum?

12. 454navyss

454navyss

i think my avatar will give you my opinion

13. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

They'll never be overdone. Low rider, hot rod or just plain cruiser, they're just plain cool.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Dime a dozen!? Where do you live?:D In my opinion, '61-'64 Impalas are some of the most stylish marques that ever got produced. The body lines are timeless, at the very least. I rank them with '32 Fords and tri five Chevies. As far as played out; HUH? What you smokin', Willis? I can count on one hand the number of 64's I've seen on the street. Just as the "32 Ford roadster serves as the landmark for hot rods, so does the '64 Impala serve as the ambassador of the low riding culture. It does so for a reason.

15. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

61s will always be one of the most beautiful cars EVER.. and im pretty sure I want to own a 62-64, my avatar shows why im a fan of em

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  16. 3onthetree

3onthetree

I paid $500 for my 63 Belair (4dr, straight six, three speed) 21 years ago and would'nt trade it for anything. I have always kept regular tags on it and drive it as often as I can. I'm not concerned with following the current trend or wether it's "played out" or not.
    My parents, Aunts and Uncles bought Impalas (Belairs, Biscaynes, Caprices) most of the time, so I guess I developed an appreciation for them after being around so many of them.

17. zach from ny

zach from ny
    from New York.

This poor old girl is sitting behind my gf's grandma's house. Bel Air with a straight six in it, prob sitting there since the early 80's and pretty solid for NY weather.
    I want to drag it out of there so bad.
    There's a 61 right behind it, but a tree crushed it and broke it in half.

[​IMG]

18. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

I would have to humbly disagree and say that the 48 chevy to me is the ambassador of lowriding over the 64 impala.. ambassador to me speaks more to what really brought the culture along.. true impalas are popular, but look in old lowrider mags or early 70s show coverage and you will see that anything was fair game, ford, lincoln, mercury, etc... it really wasnt until mid 80s gangster rap came into play that people began thinking that a 6-4 was the ultimate lowrider...they were always popular, but i wouldnt say it was all about em... ULTIMATE for me would be a 58 impala drop ... wow...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  19. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

My brother had a 64 Chevy Impala in 1971. It was a 327 ran great and got 18 mpg. All the lowriders wanted it soooo bad. I don't remember any 48 Fleetlines around.

All 58 up to 73 Impala's were lowrider cars but the Ultimate was and still is the 1964 Impala. IMHO

A 64 Chevy Impala going down Bellflower Blvd. with angel hair, dingle balls, hydraulics, "For your Precious Love" painted in the 1/4 windows, organ pipe speakers in the rear shelf, and a set of Bellflower exhausts all flattened out where they put 'em on the ground driving down the Blvd was where it was at!

At least in the late 60's early 70's.....

20. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

Everyone may say something is over done or not that great of a car. I think if you like it why not. I myself have a 4 door 64 belair that i fell in love with I'm not in the "lo-lo" scene just wanted to built a neat simple cruiser to fit the kids in. My rules on this build is simple and customizing quiet. After I bought mine 4 more popped up in town the same car.

21. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

I like those year Impala's but the 65 is my favorite.

22. Muttley

Muttley

How could this ever be considered played out?!?!?!

[​IMG]

23. Find me a dime a dozen 61 so I have a home for my orphan 348! And Zach from NY, what are you waiting for!? That one looks like a good start and I want the one a tree hit.

24. Yep 61 bubbletop does it for me. Had one and sold it, if i ever get another it's staying with me. Don't think you can overdo these.

25. If I didn't have a 62 Catalina, there would be a 63 Impala in it's place. Honduras maroon of course.

26. Tony

Tony

Me too but i don't have a 62 Cat...i have a 62 Impala...
    'cept the maroon for 63 would be Polomar Red not Honduras...that left in 62 :D:D.. A Maroon 63 was what my pop's bought new..327-300 4 speed non SS..thats what i'd want.

27. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

HUH?! What 60's and 70's did you grow up in? Not the same one I did that's for certain. Here in Hog Waller Corners, USA in the late 60's and early 70's when somebody said "lowrider" we pictured a '63 or '64 Impala. We knew other cars were used but the '63-'64s were the first car to come into our minds not the others.

My first car was a '63 Impala in 1973 and I caught all kinds of grief about driving a "lowrider" LOL. My friends and I back then didn't know much about lowriders, there weren't any around here but we were pretty sure THIS was the consumate lowrider.....
    [​IMG]

In my humble opinion this car right here was the best ambassador lowriding ever had.

28. bob308

bob308

i would like to find a 61 biscayne 2 door like i had in high school.

29. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I owned 10 different '62-'64 Chevy's from 1973 through 2004 if you don't count Chevy II's and '64 Malibus and El Caminos. This was #10. Ignore the grinning idiot in front of it.

[​IMG]