Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone build their own ANVIL? or equivalent?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage44, Jan 15, 2010.

1. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Did a search on 'anvil' and got 14 PAGES :eek: of thread hits. After digging into several pages just thought it might be better for my sanity to ask - has anyone built one? or something similar of equal value to a car building operation? Why re-invent the wheel, huh? :D I've been thinking of maybe finding a short length of railroad track and fabbing stuff on it to have similar angles, etc. to a large anvil. thoughts?

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Somewhere around here just the other day I found an old magazine with instructions for cutting anvil from a railroad rail. Probably couldn't find it today on a bet.
    I've been using an old chunk of straight rail for some years after finding it at the farm and just about 2 yeasra go found a rail anvil at a garage sale for $5.
    Pretty simple, get your rail and it will jump right out at you.

3. troylee

troylee

I use a 2ft piece of railroad track. Works great , for the basic stuff I do.

4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

5. troylee

troylee

Here is a pic of my set up.

Attached Files:

6. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I have an old piece of rail road track out in the garage. All ready torched into the right shape. I have heard they are high carbon steel (very hard). It just needs ground smooth. Too bad you are not closer. I would give it to you. I've had it for 5 years and not touched it. Good luck, Gary

7. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got this piece of railroad track from the Bethlehem Steel yard here in town. Works great

Attached Files:

8. hotrod8

hotrod8

i used a piece of 8 in I beam , it gives you 4 different ends to cut at different shapes , 2 ends on one side ,turn it over ,2 more !!! works wouhderful !!!!!!

9. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Me too. Nailed to an Oak log 2 ft tall, just clinched the nails over on the bottom of the rail. I should do a how to for Tech week...:rolleyes:

11. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

I have an "ACME" brand anvil I purchased from another Hamb'r

12. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

sounds tough to move nailed to an oak log. I was thinking a three legged stand with wheels on two of the legs that only touched the ground when you lifted the third leg (or a handle on the third leg)

13. I've never built one,but I've seen a few guys that could tear one up.....

14. boldventure

boldventure

I've got a 18" chunck of track, a friend welded a bull pin on one end. Had that thing for 30 years!

15. -DouG-

-DouG-

Here's mine... I didn't build it, I paid $165,000 for it -but it came with a house!

[​IMG]

16. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

This brings back memories, I remember my dad having a length of RR track mounted to a metal stand/base. He used to have me straighten old bent nails on it...he never threw anything away if there was even the slightest chance that it could be used again.

17. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I think he just figured it was worth trying to pound a junk nail if straightening them kept you busy lol

18. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

i have had mine for over 30 yrs, nothing fancy but it does a good job.

19. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Many thanks, guys! You've given me lots of great ideas. Gary

20. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

When they were replacing the tracks locally I grabbed about a dozen.
    Theyre heavy and make great gifts.
    I wired two 5' sections on 15' of chain link fence with a RR tie at the front with two eye bolts holding 15'-o- chain and it grooms my dirt road very well.

21. I'm using a section of heavy duty "I" beam. 18" long 12" deep, about a 4" flange.

22. 067chevy

067chevy

Gary, Good seeing you guys at George's last month . Are you all coming to the feed he is having this Saturday or mabe its Sunday. I would sure take it of your hands next time you guys come to G.I.

23. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I have spoke with a guy in the past who said he used a piece of rail road. I think he made jewelry though

24. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Another option for an anvil and one I find more useful for sheetmetal are forming heads. They are post mounted dolly's in various shapes. There are a variety available commercially, but once you start using them you start building your own 'special purpose' ones. I have about a dozen and build more as needed.
    Metalmeet.com has them in the search engine, so does allshops.org

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

25. Truckedup

Truckedup

There's a seldom used rail road track spur about a mile down the road from me.I can drag something down there and use the track like an anvil.When I'm bored it's fun to be pounding on something as the locomotive is coming down the track,real exciting but it make the train pilot real nervous.

26. nofin

nofin
    from australia

That set up sounds to me like it will cause you a lot of extra work. I use anvils and formers every day and the heavier and more solid the base the better the result and the easier they are to use. Its better for them to be hard to move when you put them away, cos that way you won't have to chase them across your shop while you're hammering. Use them on a solid floor too. BTW, if you want a cheap anvil, next time you look in a barn or an old geezer's garage for a car keep your eyes open for an anvil.

27. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Re: 'Anyone build their own ANVIL?' I almost fear to ask why you want to know? You didn't break one did you??? :eek::eek::eek::D

Mart3406
    ================================

28. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

'dern it' you just reminded me of me 'old hunk of rail', that I somehow lost or lent out. Backnthday I used to work on the RR and got it by the roundhouse. sure wished I had it now.

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The first thing I thought os was rail road track. But I have no idea where I would get some.

30. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you could get arrested...it's trespassing and our local railroad cops would haul your ass in