Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quickchange supposed to get THAT hot?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Jan 14, 2010.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Remembering back...I had a winters qc in the coupe...3.00 gears. After returning from the nats (12 hour run) I was unloading the trunk and leaned over to get a bag from the back. I put my hand on the un-insulated (painted) floor and...burn-baby! I reached under the car and the rear finned cover was HOT! HOT!

The qc had helical gears and ran valvoline 90wt, and had a vent...so do they run hotter than a '40 banjo or a 9" ford rear? I'm trying to decide on which rear to put in my truck.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Should not get that hot.

Where is the exhaust run ?

3. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Coleman makes a pump and mount so you can run the rear end fluid thru a cooler. Good idea on a street car.

Kevin

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm... Interesting.

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

exhaust was run under the rear end and stopped a few inches past...I'll try to find pics.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I wouldnt think they should get that dam Hot

Maybe when moving the air blowing over it keeps it in check, but after you stop the residule heat builds until the housing naturally cools.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I never ran one with helical gears or for 12 hours but the winters quickie I had in my midget would get quite warm during a 25 lap feature. gotta wonder if you shouldn't be running straight teeth in there so you don't put a side load on the bearings in the housing??

8. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Years ago we ran a quick change in a dirt track car. After hot laps we would often change the gears for a different ratio. When we were running conventional rear end grease they would be very hot. You needed gloves to be able to change out the gears. We switched to Amzoil synthetic and they were noticeably cooler. You could change them easily without gloves. It might make a difference for you.

John

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

exhaust pic...

Attached Files:

10. hemifarris

hemifarris

Larry,
    I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my Culver City Halibrand and it never gets hot. I'm running a 3.48 gearset right now with a 3.78 ring and pinion. I also run Mobil 1 in my flathead and my transmission...Mike

Attached Files:

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Out of curiosity, are you running straight cut gears?

Quick change oil is actually a good topic. I've been wondering what people are running.

12. I have also been wondering how often should you change the Quickchange oil?
    HemiDeuce.

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

sounds like synthetic is the way to go. I like helical gears cause you don't need earplugs to drive long distances. Had a coupe with straight cut gears once...never again.

14. Larry,Have you checked the bearings in the end plate??? just a thought
    PS I like the whine of straightcuts.....

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The coupe is long gone...I'm just trying to figure out which rear to go in my new project.

16. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

I have a winters and ran straight cut gears last summer with mobil 1 synthetic oil. My longest trip was to columbus about 3 hours, I never noticed the heat issue, but the gear whine is kinda loud, No its real loud. I called winters before filling it the first time and they recommend mobil 1 synthetic.

17. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Proper operating temp for a mechanical assembly like a quick change is ambient air temp plus 90-110 degrees. So, after a long highway run on an 80 degree day your quickie should be about 180 degrees.

Most of us do the "can you stick your hand on it test." The answer is yes, you can stick your hand on it, but 180 degrees feels pretty damn hot...

My advise is to run the quickie and don't worry about it. Use synthetic oil for some piece of mind, and change the oil every year or so.

The first year I had my quick change, I drove from KC Missouri to Charleston SC in one shot stopping for nothing but fuel. (21 hours) The quickie never even hiccuped.

Good luck, -Abone.

PS. I don't know what you are building this time, but how the hell are you gonna top your old 3 window?????

18. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

The helical gears will run warmer than spur gears.
    Synthetic oil will reduce heat.
    Even with helical gears, it should not get as hot as you describe.
    You may have had some other issues.

19. gas pumper

gas pumper

The quickchange is not an efficient design, so it turns energy into heat.

The ones with a pump are good cause you can run a lower fluid level and save some of the churning which builds heat. Also then you can run it thru a cooler, too.

The big buck LSR lakesters and streamliners are going away from the quickie to just use the right ratio to get more efficient.

But, I crewed on a car this year at the salt and it ran a quickie. No pump, low oil level, synthetic oil, straight gears. It did not get hot, just warm, just barely. Long course and 290's mph. This was like 3000 rpm wheel speed. Maybe the synthetic oil is the answer.

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...do I really HAVE TO top the coupe? This time around I'm going stupidly simple....a '32 truck...with a few extra details. ;)

21. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's kind of like Van Halens 2nd album, it was great, but people still said..."it's not as good as the last one.."

No matter what you build, it will be compared to your 3 window, but don't sweat it, you have good taste so even something simple will be cool.

-Abone.

22. Synthetic 90 weight and straight cut gears works perfectly.

Helical gears develop a lot off heat and are for Pansies!

Hahaha.....

23. slacker1965

slacker1965

on a dirt car the qc gears would get very hot on a 20 lap heat....so hot that the bearings would fall out of the case cover when u change gears if you weren't careful......if you didn't pop them right back in they wouldn't fit when it cooled off.......don't be surprised if you notice it leaking on synthetics....our late models & sprint cars always weeped more on mobil-1 than fossil.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

24. What he said.

I ran Amzoil synthetic with good results and even better results using gear oil from Lubrication Engineers out of Fort Worth, TX.

25. hemifarris

hemifarris

Yes, I've run straight cuts in every quickchange I've owned. It's my version of straight pipes to my ears. I love the whine....Mike

26. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Another alternative is to have a similar look without the quick change... Halibrand made a non-quick change for the early front engine rails using a Ford banjo... I believe someone is reproducing them in aluminum... but a word of caution: they have a heavier flange area so the torque tube needs to be a half inch shorter...

just like everything else - I'm sure they are advantages of each and ya can't beat the "wanta race" looks of a quick change

Attached Files:

27. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i'm impressed you can remember your coupe... :eek:

so whens the PU gonna hit the pavement?

28. touch the rear end on your daily when you get home and compare. After I did some work on my pumking I was worried it was too hot, then I compared it to the rear on my truck and it was very similar. I guess you could also use one of those infared temp gadets to get the actual temp. It feels hot but - like you can only leave your hand there for like 3 or 4 seconds

29. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Larry, I ran a Richmond quickie in my 33, 2006 hot rod of the year winner. If you remember, you and I had beers before the 2007 event you were in.Never had a heat issue, but ran valvoline racing 140 oil.The richmond was a champ style, much larger than early V8 style, held like 3 quarts.I ran straight spur gears. If you buy the more expensive micro polished spurs, they are fairly quiet.My lived behind a 550 hp big block, even with a 200 nitrous shot and drag radials.Current tudor got a good old 9 inch, and thats what Id run from now on. No noise, no leaks, quiet, and cheaper.Unbreakable. Got a used Strange aluminum third member, almost 40 pounds lighter and looks nice.Hope to see ya in Indy this year.

30. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I agree with Josh.....the daily driver gets hot.

and Greg ."Unbreakable" let me introduce you to my son.