Register now to get rid of these ads!

my Cadillac made the local paper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Captain Morgan, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

I haven't bothered to make a project thread on here yet, but the local media got wind of the project and decided to stop by my classroom last week.

article : New Article Link Here!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. That's really cool!! I would have loved to work on a classic like that when I was in school!

The kids will learn a lot of good basics. Pass on the passion

Bill

3. ChopHoliday

ChopHoliday
    from P-Town, VA

That's really awesome! I wish you and your students luck.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a great article. You have a really nice solid caddy there.
    Original or custom??

5. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Top notch man, great way to get kids into old cars, most kids are into that rice rocket crap, maybe you can set a few of them straight. Good luck to you and your students on an awesome and safe build.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A big pat-on-the-back for what you are doing for the kids. Wish I had been given that opportunity in school.

7. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

thats what I'm trying to do but our county see's no value in something like that. ALL of our kids are going to college (yeah right). They apparently dont need real world skills.

thats awesome man! Keep up the good work.

8. DeVille Gal

DeVille Gal

Cool, I will be anxious to follow the build thread when you get it posted.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

10. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Man that is great and what a good influence on kids.
    Back in the 90's my wife and I ran a group home for 6 troubled teenaged boys in Reno, NV.
    I had an old 1950 Dodge pick-up that we used as our "family project" and I'd let the boys work on it and I'd take it to school so those that could would get extra credit in their auto shop class. We also would attend cruise nights and local car shows and the boys would answer most of the questions that was asked about the truck. That was a very rewarding job but very tuff at times!!!

11. Rog

Rog

Not only do the kids get to learn, but it's free labor! Seriously though, its a cool thing your doing with the kids.

12. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Morgan,what a nice article.You must be in heaven right about now?.

13. Great to see your passing on the torch (not Olympic, but cutting torch) to these students!:D
    Keep us Posted!

14. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

That'd be a better show than Jersey Shore. That's what New Jersey is really about!

Sweet Cadillac. Keep us posted.

15. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

semi-original. I plan on keeping the body stock with exception to the paint color. Interior will be kept traditional with little touches here and there.

frame and suspension will be kept stock with exception to a bigger sway bar up front and possibly different coil springs.

engine and drivetrain will be "temporarily" upgraded to an LS-style GM engine with 4L60E trans. I will probably swap the rear with a more modern unit from an early 90's caprice or impala SS.

I still havent figured out how I want to tackle the power brakes, but I will probably end up with disc brakes all around.

Nothing I plan on doing will be irreversible, so once I get the funds and the time to rebuild the original engine correctly and freshen up the trans, they will easily be able to find their way back into the car.

I'm lucky and thankful that my school district still sees the need for such courses, although some were close to extinction during the past 12 years since I graduated, they are back to decent numbers thanks to some talented and dedicated teachers.

yeah Ill get around to that one of these days :D

thank you very much. Ive actually read your thread from start to finish just for my own benefit & enjoyment.

I have a good core group of kids who have been burning the midnight oil.... well, 5:00pm oil ;) after school a couple days a week. If it was up to them they would probably live in my classroom. I was only able to get a dozen or so when the newspaper came (many were involved with sports), but I know a bunch wanted to be there.

I hear that comment a lot! It might not be free if I end up hearing from parents about their kids trashing their clothes in my class, hahahaha.

Thanks. I suppose so, I was excited to read it and Im glad the school and my department is getting some coverage, especially as I am only in my first year. Hopefully things will only get better from here.

oh man.... that show is absolutely horrible. Unfortunately I dont live all that far from where that show takes place, but thankfully the real Jersey Shore is nowhere near as ridiculous as that crap.

Thank you everyone for the encouraging comments. I will certainly keep everyone posted on the progress and I'll get around to making a dedicated project thread shortly.

16. Rain_man

Rain_man

wow way cool i wish i had that in school

17. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Yep...keep them boys busy. really really solid looking caddy. They should be grateful to have a teach like you.

18. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story.What an excelent idea and a great way to teach not only the mechanical but organiziation ,preservation and many other life skills all at the same time. The schools could use more guys like you. Those are some lucky students .Two thumbs up and good luck.Thanks for sharing the article with us.

19. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

oh the joys of teaching :D despite me stating very clearly NOT to touch or clean the control arms until they were removed from the chassis, I still had someone take the wire wheel to it and remove the old grease. Unfortunately they removed half the rubber from the seals as well!!!!!! :angry face here:

So.... does anyone have a couple old seals they aren't needing anymore (I'll gladly pay for them and shipping) or does anyone know where to get JUST the seals instead of having to replace the entire pin and/or bushings for $87 - $150 just to get the seals??

[​IMG]

20. Ramblur

Ramblur

Oops... Time to teach them the fine art of parts procurement.:eek:
    Seriously though,thanks for all that your doing in that I can testify the
    good it did for me all those years ago. And just as a suggestion, why not
    have the students document their work and post a build thread?[​IMG]

21. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

Unfortunately its not exactly like the old days. Today, students have to have media released even to get their picture or name mentioned in newspapers. I wouldnt even be able to publicly post a picture of my full class as some of them do not have these signed.

I probably do have a couple who would document the project online, however I know that even if I gave my "good" students an account and password (on here for example), it would eventually leak out and havoc would probably follow soon afterwards. I plan to setup a website on the schools sever to document the progress, but even then I wouldnt be able to give the students access. The most I could do is have them type it out and I'd have to enter it to the site after proofing, which I will probably end up doing.

22. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

here's what she looked like as of Wednesday :D

[​IMG]

23. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

Updated the link on Post #1.

Also, frame is finished, painted with ceramic satin black chassis paint over the weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Ramblur

Ramblur

Sweet! She'll be a roller again in no time.

25. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

What bank did you rob ,Oops I really should read first without posting .

26. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

yeah hopefully, the kids seem to get more motivated as another piece of the puzzle gets completed. Unfortunately we had midterms last week so that set us back a little bit, but we're getting back at it this week.

lol, nice :D