Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody dealing with physical ailments delaying your project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Have pain shooting up my left arm, and back spasms that put me right to the ground.
    While at Metalmeet last fall, I decided to do something about it, 12 plus years of this was enough.
    Tomorrow I am going for my second nerve blocker for the bad disc in my neck that is causing the arm pain, and in two week they will start figuring out how to fix my back.

Till now I would work until I could not stand the pain and then rest for a while. getting my two projects done while I'm still young enough to use them is my motivation.

2. Warpath

Warpath
    from Motor City

No significant side effects from the embrel yet (knock on wood). I sent you a PM too.

Just another thought: Don't look at things now as what you used to be able to do. Just see things as how you are going to do them differently.

Before the Embrel, it hurt whether I did something or not. So, I always told myself I might as well do it anyway.

3. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

Lost my Large intestine in 02
    right eye cataract 03 cant see that well out of it at least my right eye works
    Liver transplant in 04
    bad kidneys sugar osteoporosis
    and i am 43
    just try to do what you can and rest alot

Paul Jug

4. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Felt like doing something the last couple of days. But it was too f'ing cold. My fingers got numb after ten or so minutes. Sometimes you can't win. :D

5. Frankie Von Dell

Frankie Von Dell

About two weeks ago I had an accident at work and cut the tip of my index finger clean off, It has been very frustrating waiting for it to heal up.....I got my engine broken down to re-do all the gaskets a couple weeks before it happened now I have to wait until I dont have an exposed wound to do virtually anything hands on.

6. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

7. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Doctor put me on Mobic for my arthritis. Anybody have any input on how that works - any weird side effects or shit I need to know about?

8. Two back surgeries within 6 months about 2 years ago. Bad/degenerating discs. I was just healing up good from the first surgery when I slipped on the ice and blew out another disc in my lower back. Never been the same since. Can't stand for long periods, lift much or bend over very well. Good thing we never have to bend over while working on our cars , right??? Been fighting lots of pain in my neck for the last 3 months. Haven't had it checked out yet because I can't take the time to go under the knife again.

I have tried to to not let is slow me down too much. But if I work on the car (or anything else) one day, I feel it for four days. So basically constant pain. I've been prescribed Vicoten and muslce relaxers, but don't take as i can't be "out of it" and still work. I'm self employed, so no disability and no one else to run my businesses if I don't.

The worst part is the mental aspect of knowing I will live in pain the rest of my life. I turn 40 this year and have been dealing with this for over 4 years.

I will say, the best therapy I have found is a nice long ride to nowhere in a hot rod!!!

9. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

I'm in my mid fifty's. After reading post on this thread I feel like a crybaby...Not to make light of your problems but I seem to be stiff in all the wrong places. Seriously guys I feel for you...Working on cars is my escape from everyday life. Whether working with my hands or my head planning the next move.
    Keep your heads up....The force (HAMB) is with you....

10. bobjob55

bobjob55

i've posted here before...just got back from kidney doc..had a stone 1.5 cm.. size of a marble.. had lazer surgery in dec.. put a tube up my penis,, thru my bladder,, into kidney,, and sapped away..just got back testresults;5% function....kidney dead..... have to have it removed if i want to live past 5 years..surgery is at end of feb..i'm 56 now and i still have a lot to do..got to get back working on my '48 dodge..

11. bobjob55

bobjob55

a few pics for your amusement..

Attached Files:

12. budhaboy

budhaboy

Mobic(meloxicam) belongs to the NSAID(nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). It works by reducing the hormones that are causing the inflammation and pain.

Its not a recommended drug if you have heart disease or digestive problems such as stomach ulcers, diverticulosis, or other bowel problems, or if you are a smoker. Nor is it recommended for people who are allergic to aspirin

I work at the FDA, and havent heard anything bad about it really(I havent seen any adverse reaction reports on it - Doctors have to inform us of any bad reactions to drugs their patients take) and it was approved in April 2000
    for further info, you can click here:
    http://www.drugs.com/pdr/mobic.html

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Fascinating you work for the FDA!

I informed my rhuematologist of side effects I'm having with Remicade. Nausea, headaches, stiff jaw and neck, blurry vision, some hair loss, vivid nightmares, aching joints, and foggy head/not feeling like myself. He said they were all coincidental, had nothing to do with the drug and he had never heard these side effects in the hundred or so patients he has on Remicade. Now bear in mind, my drug regimen hasn't changed in over three years, Remicade is the only new thing. Symptoms started hours after my first infusion. I'm not sure what to do, does he just want the money from keeping me on Remicade (rhetorical question)?

The side effects seem to be not uncommon judging from arthritis forum posts. The blurry vision is on the FDA site and says to seek medical attention. I'm not sure if I want to continue on the drug. Seems like trading one set of problems for another.

14. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

After reading about some guy's real health problems, I feel very fortunate.
    Only thing delaying me is my ass got frozen off, last time I was out in the garage. :rolleyes:

15. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Implanted Medtronics morphine pain pump, 4 fused discs, degenerative disc & joint disease, scoilosis w/26 degrees one way & 28 the other. Like Daddyos Diner I work an hour & hurt for 48. Stay off the muscle relaxers they cause more problems then they are worth. They reduce the gaurding the muscles go into and cause major pain spasms. Pain pump only takes the very worse pain away, still need hydrocodone to get by. Lots of people way worse off then me though, just got to play the cards life delt you.

16. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

gout in both feet , arthritis in left shoulder but other than that, I'm perfect....

terd...vivid nightmares ?? damn buddy'

17. RichG

RichG

"vivid nightmares"...I'll trade you for my dreams about real, everyday stuff...that never happened. I get some pretty strange looks from my wife when I go off about something that never happened!:p It got to me pretty bad at first, but I'm learning to laugh it off now (and be more cautious about what I bring up!)

Drugs: they'll damp your pain and screw your mind...what fun!

18. heyba

heyba
    from so. cal

chapped hands......

19. heyba

heyba
    from so. cal

there are some pretty jacked up people on here....

20. BISHOP

BISHOP

My knee is killing me right now.

21. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

A few years ago I was getting old and tired at about 40 years old. My bones and joints ached so bad that in the morning and the evening I had to go down my stairs one at a time while holding tight onto the railings to keep the weight off my feet and legs. This pain would get more bearable in the middle of the day, but my shoulders hurt real bad in the joints all day and night.

I was pressing through my son's Mustang build, which caused me lots of pain and stiffness, all of this was exaggerated after sitting on the concrete for a while. I can remember REGRETTING the need to pull on a wrench or ratchet real hard because it made the bones in my arm really hurt. I pressed through because I wasn't going to get any younger so I figured I may as well get used to it.

I thought I was paying the price for lots of hard manual labor I did when I was younger, but it turns out I had a LARGE PARATHYROID TUMOR that was causing the calcium to be removed from my bones, fatigue and a lot of other symptoms. I had OSTEOPOROSIS and high blood calcium.

Once I was diagnosed I figured out I was not just getting old, and I knew things WERE going to get better I left the majority of the remaining work for my son.

Since the 15 minute surgery to remove the tumor that had been growing for 15 or 20 years, I have been blessed to feel BETTER than I had since I was 25 or so, and from this point, I intend on making the best of my good health for as long as I have it, including taking a swing at doing work I have always wanted to do.

I feel so good that I am at fault everyday that I fail to thank God, my Doctors, and my wife who MADE me go to the doctor against my dumbass will.

By the time I was feeling better, the Mustang was done, but since I have gotten into cars big time, and feeling great.

It is a HUGE BLESSING to have the health needed to be able to do the things we want.

22. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

What a cool story! I'm glad you're doing better! I'm steady praying we all will get to feeling better. Thanks for sharing and good luck in your new endeavor! I know it will go well for you, you've got the right atitude.

23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

reading all of these posts, I feel fortunate--alot slower at 66 and need powerful glasses to work under a dash-but still manage to get things done--just not as fast--57 fuely has taken me 6 months and it would ahve been 3 months several years ago--also a headon collision that put me out of mobility slowed me up for a while but getting by just fine.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget to join the gimp squad!

25. N8B

N8B

Very humbling thread with interesting timing. I'm just about to turn 34 and out of the blue started having some uncomfortable back issues. Turns out I have developed a severe case of sciatica that affects my back and right leg. Started out with some stifness and within three days I was on a cane and had trouble getting out of bed.
    It's been almost a month now and I'm still waiting for an MRI to determine a course of action. Living on pain pills to move around sucks. Being told you may have to give up a lot of what you love, specifically my motorcycles, sucks even worse.
    You just have to lern to cope and move forward.

gmhillbilly likes this.
  26. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

I think that is the biggest issue I have with my ailments. Not being able to go on long cruises on my Harley.

27. 6-71

6-71

My dr. put me on Mobic awhile ago,prior to total knee replacements.I think the Mobic helped considerably with the pain. I went to Web Md.and checked how people who used it rated its effectiveness.as you might expect some said it was useless,and most others liked it.I had no real side effects when I took it. Yes it is an nsaid and long term use of large amounts can affect your liver.

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I don't take anything, sometimes some Tylenol arthritis, but thats about it, There is no telling the long term affects of a lot of these pain meds. I have learned to mentally block out the pain, I still walk long distances by clearing my head and mentally blocking out the pain from my legs, I don't remember exactly how I do it, It just happens, I was taught the trick by a native American friend years ago, it's hard to explain. If i'm up and moving it works but if it's been freezing, we have no central heat, it's really hard to get up in the morning.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no way that this can be overstated. My father was on two meds that had Acetaminophen in them. It destroyed his liver, and he died inside of ten days.

Educate yourself. Read the medical information on everything you are taking. Not all doctors are trained to the same level. You are the first line of defense against the risks. Make sure ALL of your doctors, and your pharmacist know ALL of the meds you are taking, including any over-the-counter ones.

Not everything is as "safe" as one might think. Nobody else needs to learn this the hard way.

30. Donnda

Donnda

As I sit here waiting for my Doctor to call me to schedule back surgery feeling sorry for myself I have been reading this thread of posts. I am 66 years old and have suffered with degenerative disk diease for about 15 years. I don't remember how many disks that have desolved but more are gone than are still there. They are going to fuse several vertabrae. I have severe depression and type II diabetes as well.
    I feel better about my situation after reading some of the others on this thread. You guys hang in there and I will too.
    Thanks for the insperation